• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rangefniders

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
I am stuck on deciding on what rangefinder to buy. I am looking to get accurate ranges on animals about out to 800 yards and big objects out to 1200. I shoot a 300 win mag. I really love the g7 rangefinder and have done a lot of research and think it a very useful and effective tool for the hunter. Problem is, I just had my first child and don't have $1600 to throw around. If I did buy that one, I would definitely be sleeping in my truck, not with my wife. I am also considering the leica 1600 b, but don't know if it is really worth it. Why pay $800 for a unit that I can't specifically calibrate to my gun like the g7. The last option I have thought of is a Nikon Riflehunter 1000 or Bushnell elite 1600 arc and get a Kestrel and ballistic program for now. Any thoughts or real-life experience that would help me make a decision would be great. I'm sorry about all the questions all the time, but I am new to this long range game. Thanks for reading.

Been doing the same research and of course most say Terrapin but I'm like you and that is just out of my range. The Leica and Swavorski are the next two in line for reviews. Then it's the Bushnell arc. I'm planning on the Leica.

If you cannot afford the Terrapin, get the 1600b. It won't do everything you need, but it's the best of the also-rans.

John

the Leica is good for the money. Also, you may want to try the Ziess PRF 8x26. I just picked one up for about $600 and have been able to range pretty well with it. Very clear glass. I've ranged large objects out to 1454yrds. ranged a dog at 867 so it does what I need it to do.

I'll agree, the Terrapin is the way to go but I didn't want to part with the 2K after spending all the money I did on my latest build. I typically don't shoot past 800 very often.

Agreed, the 1600 will do most of what you need. For me in Wisconsin it works great. I got to use a vector IV when I was out west this fall... All other range finders are now inferior to what that thing will range, the clarity, and the capabilities it has.

I love my Ziess PRF 8x26, it will not work in light fog however..... Gotta spend bigger then that to burn through fog! It does everything I need it to do, and has a ballistics program that gives you holdovers if you want to use it.

I have the Leica 1600 and wish I purchased the Terrapin.

Save up if you can and get that (secondhand if need be), otherwise the 1600 ranges vehicles at 1000m and IPSC Metal silhouettes at 800m. The 1600 probably ranges buildings at 1600 m / y.

Camera Land NY (Hide sponsor) took care of me. Give them a call. Same goes for Euro Optic (takes care of me aswell).

I used the Terrapin Binos down in Afghanistan they were Amazing! Just wish they didn't cost so much or I'd get myself a pair.