• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Ranges in East Texas?

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
The range I go to only goes to 300 yards and I'd really like to find somewhere that has at least 600 yards and doesn't require a ridiculously expensive annual fee. I'm 3hrs south of Dallas and 1.5hrs north of Houston.

I have a little local range that I go to in Point Blank that has a 100yd range on one side and a 300 yard range on the other side. The 300 yard part is under water right now though. I met a shooter there recently that is a member of the Madisonville gun club. I'm going to get with him sometime in the near future to go check it out.

I'm seriously considering saving up for a V-22 with KRG chassis and S&B PM II to mimic my 6.5CM and make it more challenging with the distances I have available. 100-300 with the creedmoor can get somewhat boring, but it'd be pretty fun with a 22lr.

Let me know. I work a 4 on, 4 off schedule so I usually try to hit the range on weekday mornings when there's little to no people there. The guy I spoke to that's a member at Madisonville was named Norm. You know him?

Unfortunately I don't have much free time during the week. Lately the dang weekends have gotten tougher too it seems like.
Norm? No sir. Don't know I guess. I'm also horrible connecting names and faces.

The Navasota range (CCC) is excellent. It has lots of steel from 300 to 1100, barricades, etc. It's kind of pricey I think, but they have a monthly match that's only $50 to enter.

Reactions: Austin Dubya
I have heard nothing but good things about that range (CCC). I have been working on my bride for a couple of months about joining. Having to go sloooow with my sales pitch. Dont want to get her worked up about that on top of my deer lease fees.

The range I go to only goes to 300 yards and I'd really like to find somewhere that has at least 600 yards and doesn't require a ridiculously expensive annual fee. I'm 3hrs south of Dallas and 1.5hrs north of Houston.

Fossil Pointe Sporting Grounds in Decatur, TX has ranges out to 800 yrs. No annual fee as its a public range.

I own a private range in central East Texas near the Louisiana line. It's my own personal range. I've long considered opening to the public by way of catering to small groups for the day. I've done it a few times over the years, and have many local people asking me to do this on a regular basis. If I did, I would be offering more than just dirt to throw your shooting mat down on and a berm to lean your targets against. The range goes out to 1/2 mile (880 yds) and I have shooting bench and off ground platforms to shoot from. There is hard pack road for 470 yards of it. I have steel hung out to various distances. But, the range is small at 30 feet wide, and 5 shooters at one time would be max. I would be looking to cater to groups of 10 max for the day by reservation only. I would provide restroom facilities, cold bottled water, picnic tables and shade, and Verizon 4G cell service is excellent at the range. And, this is nestled in tall timber, so there is rarely much wind here. There is also a pistol range on site, as my wife uses it to teach CC/LTC.

Are there many long distance shooters in far East Texas? More than anything, I'm looking to gauge interest in this in my part of Texas. And, as we have discovered in teaching CC and leasing to hunters, there are some hoops to jump through when letting people on your property with guns, and they aren't cheap. So please, I don't need any volunteers for testing. I've been shooting out here for decades, and it works just fine.