• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ranging Cheat Sheets

txmd500

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2008
TX (Austin Area)
<span style="font-weight: bold">**************************************************************************************
Thanks to another member he caught a mistake. When I was coping over the fields from my spread sheet and adding them to the PDF I copied the wrong field. I will make the changes needed and resend the PDF file.
**************************************************************************************</span>

Here a few cheat sheets I created for myself, not sure how to upload a PDF file so here's a screen shot, If you want the PDF file let me know and I can email it to you.

I print these out on write in the rain paper then into the logbook they go, the write in the rain loose left paper if pre hole punched and perforated.

I'm using a NF with a NP-R1

If the target size is known then; all I need to do is measure how many MOA it occupies reference the MOA measurement on the sheet then I know the distance dial the correct dope and I'm G2G.

Example: Known 8-inch target measures 1.14-MOA then I know the distance is 700yds.

REMOVED One of the images until I correct one of the fields.

SizetoMOAChart.jpg

Heres a few other helpful (well to me) files.

NFNP-R1.jpg

Here's a quick one I created for hold overs.

NFNP-R11680MOA.jpg

Re: Ranging Cheat Sheets

tag

question, is your scope marked out in moa? mines mils and that formula your stating doesnt work figuring with mils so how u measuring targets with moa?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXMD500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Example: Known 8-inch target measures 1.4-MOA then I know the distance is 700yds.
</div></div>

Ummmm.... 8" divided by 1.4 MOA = 5.7412857...X 100 =571.42 Yds....

Also to get exact yardage I believe you must take the sum and Multiply by .955 ...

571.5 X .955 = 545.78.....546 yds...

You may want to change your sheet to 1.14 ...

Target Size/MOA X 100 X .955 = True Distance to Target

I could be wrong but I read this in "The Black Star Ninja Sniper Manual" ...
grin.gif

Here's a post I wrote in an earlier thread:

Well, another thing you can do is to make a spreadsheet.

In the left-hand column, let's say column A row 3, put increments of milliradian readings, like 0.1 mil.

In subsequent columns, says starting with Column B, put increments of, say, inches, starting with maybe 6 inches if that's the smallest target you'll be shooting at and having to range. I'd increment the target size by 2 inches, rather than one, and you can just interpolate between columns. So, column C would be a target size of 8 inches, and so forth.

So, the cell in column B, row 3, would correspond to 0.1 milliradian for an image size, and 6 inches for the target size.

For each cell, use the mil formula. For cell in colum b, row 3, which corresponds to an image size of 0.1 mil and a target size of 6 inches, the formula will look like this:

$B$2*27.77/$A3

Then copy that formula all the way down that <span style="font-weight: bold">column</span>, until it's in all the cells for however far down you want to go with image size.

The next colum over, column C, which corresponds to a target size of 8 inches, will look like this:

$C$2*27.77/$A3

When you get done, you'll have a handy reference which looks like this:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
Target size (Inches)
Mils 6 8 10 12
0.1 1666 2222 2777 3332
0.2 833 1111 1389 1666
0.3 555 741 926 1111
0.4 417 555 694 833
0.5 333 444 555 666
0.6 278 370 463 555

</pre></div></div>

The cells have range in yards. And you can carry that out as far as you care to.

Some sniper data books have charts like that, but you can make your own using this procedure if you don't have one.

If you are Excel-challenged, you can download the quicky one I created from:

http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/Excel/MilRangingYards.xls

It covers image sizes from 0.1 to 2.8 mils, and target sizes from 6 inches to 34 inches in increments of 2 inches. You can pretty it up, and print it however you want.

However, allow me to suggest an even faster way.

Replace the yards in that kind of spreadsheet with your dope for the indicated range.

Then all you have to do is to measure the target, and you'll know what you have to dial or hold.

Yes, for long shots you'll need to make allowances for the conditions under which you're shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">question, is your scope marked out in moa? mines mils and that formula your stating doesnt work figuring with mils so how u measuring targets with moa? </div></div>

Yes my scope has a MOA Reticle. So you correct the MOA formula will not work with your MIL-Dot reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXMD500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Example: Known 8-inch target measures 1.4-MOA then I know the distance is 700yds.
</div></div>

Ummmm.... 8" divided by 1.4 MOA = 5.7412857...X 100 =571.42 Yds....</div></div>

You are <span style="font-weight: bold">correct</span>, I copied the wrong field over from my spread sheet.... SHIT!!!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">Thanks for the catch. </span>
In the example 701.75yds should cover 1.14-MOA not 1.4-MOA I might have fat fingered that one but I'll check the rest.

The formulas I have;
<span style="font-weight: bold">To Find MOA</span>; Target Size in Inches X 100 / Yards = <span style="font-weight: bold">MOA</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">To Find Distance;</span> Target Size in Inches / MOA X 100 = <span style="font-weight: bold">Distance</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">To Find Target Size in Inches;</span> Yards / 100 X MOA = <span style="font-weight: bold">Target Size</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To Find MOA; Target Size in Inches X 100 / Yards = MOA
To Find Distance; Target Size in Inches / MOA X 100 = Distance
To Find Target Size in Inches; Yards / 100 X MOA = Target Size
</div></div>

Those are only correct for IPHY, or Inches Per Hundred Yards, incorrectly called by some "shooter's MOA".

If you are using a scope with true MOA reticles and adjustments, use 95.5.

Here are complete formulas for ranging:

Ranging Formulas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To Find MOA; Target Size in Inches X 100 / Yards = MOA
</div></div>

Those are only correct for IPHY, or Inches Per Hundred Yards, incorrectly called by some "shooter's MOA".

Ranging Formulas
</div></div>

Lindy,
Would NightForce scopes be considered the IPHY or True MOA reticle?

thanks,
Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To Find MOA; Target Size in Inches X 100 / Yards = MOA
</div></div>

Ranging Formulas
</div></div>

Thanks, Do you know why Night Force would list the formula To Find Distance; Target Size in Inches / MOA X 100 = Distance in their owners manual incorrectly?

I assume your saying I need to replace 100 with 95.5? Guess the NF manual is faulty. Not sure why they would want to give faulty info, maybe I should email them and ask why they didn't give the 95.5.

Although it's easy to change in my spread sheet :) Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if I ever checked a Nightforce MOA reticle. If you have one, you can check your own, though:

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

I did check a number of NFs with MOA adjustments, though, and they were true MOA and accurate.
</div></div>

Thanks, I will try that.

Keith

ok i dont know bout that moa crack yall are sniffen(just joking) but i like the man measurements pic but what gives....an average height man is 69 inches. go to cambodia or tikrit or venezuela and were talkin 60. this must be for those enemies "domestic"