• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ranging extreemly long distances?

cgmaster1

Captain
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Gulf Coast Mississippi
Does anyone have tables for mil-dot use past 2000 meters to about 2500. Today I was shooting my 50 1st at 600 then 1000 and the last target I believe was about 2500 meters. It was a dirt pile.

Re: Ranging extreemly long distances?

(Size of target in meters) * 1000
--------------------------------------- = (distance in meters)
<span style="color: #FFFFFF">-----------</span>(read in MILs)

or

(Size of target in milimeters)
----------------------------------- = (distance in meters)
<span style="color: #FFFFFF">----------</span>(read in MILs)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the last target I believe was about 2500 meters. It was a dirt pile. </div></div>
But how are you going to know how high a dirt pile is, without first measuring it? When you get out that far, the slightest error will throw you way off. A good LRF is best. I've tried milling targets of different size quickly in the field, and backed it up with a LRF. To my surprise, an inch off will mess you up.

At longer ranges a small error in the estimated size of a target can mean the difference netween a hit and a miss. Add to that a potentially more significant error in the Mil reading itself, and first shot hits become doubtful. Mil ranging is best done on large targets at close ranges - a flash Mil to confirm that a target is not more than a maximum distance away.

In so long distances, you have to measure buildings, vehicles or another big things independently if you are using LRF or MIL

And now you see why a good spotter is the key to engaging long range targets.

Your first round may not be dead on, but it only takes a quick hold to get the next one enroute.