• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ranging UKD /Precision Milling / Cheat sheets

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
I am kicking myself in the butt for not thinking to do this last time I was at the 1000 yard range, and may have to make a trip down there to do this, and not even fire a round.

I am regretting not making a cheat sheet, so to speak, of known size targets, at various ranges, and the MILs that they read out on (NightForce MLR MIL/MIL), for quick referance on UKD targets at matches.

I am shooting my first match at Reade August 1&2, and am not sure if this would be something thats usefull, but my milling UKD targets has proved to be not as exact as I would have hoped
sick.gif

Does anyone have a cheat sheet like this, that they would be willing to share, or at least a couple tips on how to MIL more accurately.

I know that the Mil substentions should be touching top and bottom of target, but I still seem to be off, sometimes as much as 15-30 yards. Any suggestions? On the Nightforce, the smallest substentions are .25 mil, wich seems a little coarse.

Or, what would the math reverse equation be for this, say 18" target at 300 yards,....how would you figure the MIL reading on that without actually looking throught the scope?

Thanks guys for supplementing brain power.

Re: Ranging UKD targets / Cheat sheets

A cheat sheet like that is very handy. It's easy to do in an Excel spread sheet.

However, let me make a suggestion. If you're going to make the cheat sheet, don't make the data in the sheet the distance to the target. Make it your dope for that distance.

That will help you skip a step. Just measure the target in the scope, look at the column for that size target, dial or hold the dope and pull the trigger.

You'll need some work with a ballistics program to get there, and you'll have to make some assumptions about the conditions you shoot in, but it'll save you a lot of time.

If you don't want to do that, just get a Mildot Master. It's the fastest way to do reticle ranging calculations. Then you'll just have to figure out what dope to use for the distance indicated.

To reverse the ranging equation, do this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
target size (inches) * 27.77
Image size (mils) = --------------------------------
distance to target (yards)

</pre></div></div>

For your example:

Image size (mils) = 18 * 27.77 / 300 = 1.67 mils

I'd round that off to 1.65.

As for the precision in milling, there is no real answer other than practice.

If you have decent eyes and get some experience with it (and your specific reticle) you should be able to meausre to the 1/10th of a mil.

Since I got this started, I would ask for a little help with "Precision Milling".

It may not matter to some, to make hits, but the larger the margin of error at longer ranges, the larger margin of miss at long ranges.

As LonwolfUSMC stated, I want to be as precise in my millingas possible, and would like some facts on where to hold, and start counting, on top of stadia, middle of stadia, or below the stadia..

MLR-01readings.jpg

Box A: The line is dead centered on the horizontal bracket of the reticle, if I was measuring, using this as the base line, does this represent 0 MIL, or is it the top of the line or bracket? The way the box covers the stadias, I would call this measurement, exactly 4 Mils, right?

Box B: Just on top of the line, and just below the 3 mil mark, what would you measure this at? I would say because its just on top of the bottom line, just below the 3 MIL line, I would measure this at 2.8 mils....is this correct? What would you measure this at?

Box C: Dead Center from verticle to horizontal stadia, I get 4MIls,....correct?

Box D: 4 MILS..what do you get

I am trying to understand exactly where to hold and read the reticle from, top of line, middle of line, or where to exactly hold to start counting mils..

Please take a look and say what you get for your MIL reading...I just want to understand that I am starting and ending where I should.

thanks for playing along.

it can be a little hard to see, but if your using IE, use the magnifying glass in the bottom right corner of your screen to zoom in, if you can not see it very precisely.

Box A: the 0 mil mark on the bottom is the center of the crosshair. I would say the vertical dimension of that box is 4.0 mils.

Box B: I would say the vertical dimension of the box is at least 2.9 mils, and perhaps 2.95.

Ellipse C I would say is 4.0 mils.

Box D: I would also say is 4.0 mils, although it's hard to tell exactly where the bottom of that is.

The stadia marks have some thickness. In general, it's the middle of the mark you want to use.

Many people are tempted to always Mil from the center crosshair. Make use of the dots on the top and on the side of the reticle.

If time allows, Mil the height, then the width of the target. Calculate distance to the target using both measurements. Then take an average of the two results. That will get you closer.

Plus or minus 15 yards of ranging error isn't bad - if you are beyond 15 yards from the target
laugh.gif

It gets even better the farther away the target is.
wink.gif

+1 on the Mil dot master for speed. Use it with the dope card you made and attached to your rifle.

I can show you on the range this week if you want: PM inbound.

Thanks Lindy, and Graham. Lindy answered my question from where to start measuring, and thats a good info, Graham, to measure H vs. L and average.

I have a busy week with work so probably wont be able to make it, but will give you a ring. I probably wont get a chance to shoot again until the match
frown.gif

Re: Ranging UKD /Precision Milling / Cheat sheets

You could also go to shooterready.com and use their simulator.

Here is a screen shot that helped me

MildotRanging.jpg

Sorry for the screwed up pic, I'm not very computer savvy.

One tip I will give you is mil from the same point EVERY TIME.

It may not be as big of an issue on today's reticles, but Mil dots in the past were hand made and thus had imperfections. If you mil from the same point on the reticle each time then you will duplicate the error each time and thus learn the error. If you do it from a different point each time you may never learn the error or may think that it's just you.

As with all things in this sport/profession. Consistency is key. Do it the same way every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may not be as big of an issue on today's reticles, but Mil dots in the past were hand made and thus had imperfections.</div></div>I remember when Mil Dots used to melt in the sun.
wink.gif

Lonewolf brings up a valuable point: establish your own system, and a mental routine, much like a pilot's procedural checklist. Becoming unconsciously competent in the basics will free your attention to working the particular problems you encounter in a match or are given in a field exercise.