• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rant about Remington Recall and HELP needed.

breitling

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
Ohio
I understand how recalls go... they take a while, right?

This is regarding the Xmark Pro Trigger Recall.

I called Remington today to inquire about turn-around and the guy on the other end of the phone (who sounded very lackadaisical) told me it was going to take 3 months minimum (maybe 4-5) to get my rifle back because of the recall (must just have that many to fix). This may be acceptable to some (as well a rule-of-thumb average in the world of big-ass recalls) but it is not acceptable to me.

So, I politely asked him to send my rifle back and he scoffed and told me that he would NOT send it back with the trigger that is in it. Now, I understand the extend of liabilities ETC. But, I am not worried about the Xmark Pro trigger having issues. I practice safety extensively when I shoot. And, with a both action rifle I would never leave a round in the chamber (let alone, leave the action closed) when replacing/checking targets. But here's the whole point... isn't it my choice as a paying customer to get my old trigger back with my gun? Why is some customer service rep calling the shots? If I want it back with my rifle then I believe then should give it to me whether or not they think deem it safe.

Regardless, I need a trigger for my Remington 700. A stock X-mark pro will be fine Pre/during/post recall. Doesn't bother me. Does anyone know where I can get one for reasonably cheap?

The other Option I would go... is there a good aftermarket trigger for 75-100 that is GTG?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
They issued the recall, you sent the rifle in. If they return it without "fixing" the trigger then they can be held liable for anything that happens as a result. It sucks, but they're not going to return it until it's fixed.

I am debating sending mine in or just getting a Timney and saying screw it. Did they make you send entire rifle in or just the trigger?

I assume that remington assumes that the customer should not be responsible for taking out the trigger.

Remove trigger, throw in parts drawer (who knows why, save for something) Buy a Timney. Never look back, not sending my rifle anywhere.

Agree with throwing away the Xmark and get at a minimum a Timney. Unless you have an old style rem trigger, replace the oem. Two pins and a buck and a quarter...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're just going to replace the trigger anyway, why bother sending it back for a recall? I understand your point though. As a paying customer you should get a working rifle

You COULD try asking then to send the rifle back without a trigger installed.
Not gonna happen though.
I have been pleased with my rifle basix trigger.

No offence to the OP, but these are things you should have thought/inquired about before sending the rifle in.

I did give thought to the turnaround enough to google "xmp recall" and find 2 forum threads where users expressed much shorter turnaround times.

Put me in the group that doesn't understand why anyone would send the rifle in for this. Buy an aftermarket trigger, throw the POS Remington trigger in the trash, and don't look back.

I had two 700's with the X-Mark Pro trigger in them. I personally didn't like them to begin with, so I replaced them with a Timney. I think the Timney's are very nice, and very easy to install and adjust. I still have the old X-Mark Pro triggers and would be willing to part with them. In fact if any one wants them all you have to pay for is shipping. PM me if you are interested.

I registered my rifle with Remington's Recall site; waited over two-weeks, zip/nada; ended up calling to get a return box sent to me.

Sent my rifle back to Remington; waited over 30-days, checking weekly the Remington site under the "repair look-up" function - nothing; called Remington, not going to use names here, but the Customer Service Rep's AND the supervisor in Repair, were flat out RUDE; I used email to ensure that I had time/date stamps on my comm's with Remington.

Requested that my rifle/personal property be returned to me; was (also) told that it would be absent a trigger, or that I would have to sign a waiver of liability; responded that my personal property should be returned in the condition that it was sent to Remington and that the Repair Department may wish to forward my emails and request - on their actions - to Remington legal.

Response (within an hour via email) was that my rifle would be returned to me ASAP.

Rifle was returned within 7-days and it had the repaired trigger.

I FULLY understand that "stuff happens" and recalls are sometimes necessary - however, Remington KNEW of the magnitude of this recall (x10k's of rifles from 2006 through 2014) and should have prepared better - at an expense to Remington and NOT customers.

Hiring extra smiths, customer service rep's and admin support would have remedied a lot of the complaints that Remington now must deal with from customers.

If you cannot tell a customer that it will take 30/60/90, etc., days to repair a rifle and keep the updated information in queue on the website; then, you deserve whatever bad press you get as a result of your poor planning.

My brother has 2 SPS's (223 and 308). He called in and was told they would send him 2 boxes and two UPS pick up slips. 3 weeks later 1 box no UPS pick up slips. Great CS isn't it? He decoded not to send them back.

I wouldn't have considered sending mine for a recall. Furthermore, I'd have asked questions about turn-around time and all that before sending. Get a Timney 510.

I agree. I always wondered why anyone would send their rifle back to the factory and not just replace the horrible remington trigger. I laugh even harder when people are trying to sell the old remi triggers here for $25.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Don't worry with some of these knuckleheads. 3 months is an unacceptable amount of time for a company that created the mess through their own incompetence to keep your property from you. 2-3 weeks is the most, if they can't get it back faster they need to hire more help. I do think it was a mistake to send it in when you could have had the trigger swapped out to an aftermarket and been mush happier but that does not excuse piss poor service from Remington trying to re-lawyer proof their supposed lawyer proof trigger.

Buy a Timney and don't send it back, lesson learned. That being said, I had one of Remington's pile-o-crap 1911's a couple of years ago. It promptly broke when fired and gauled metal out of the slide and frame. Their quality, fit and finsih is about as poor as Phillipines made guns. They sent me an overnight bag and turned the gun in 21 days. I don't know if they "fixed" it, as soon as it returned I sold it and got my money back.

I had two 700's with the X-Mark Pro trigger in them. I personally didn't like them to begin with, so I replaced them with a Timney. I think the Timney's are very nice, and very easy to install and adjust. I still have the old X-Mark Pro triggers and would be willing to part with them. In fact if any one wants them all you have to pay for is shipping. PM me if you are interested.

thanks, sent you a PM.

entire rifle... except for the bolt... I sent that out for fluting :)

I hate to rain on your rant...I spoke with Remington about having to send the "entire" rifle in. They said yes even the bolt! Otherwise I would have had my bolt fluted in the wait time. I am sure they can fix your trigger without it but I asked that specific question.

I hate to rain on your rant...I spoke with Remington about having to send the "entire" rifle in. They said yes even the bolt! Otherwise I would have had my bolt fluted in the wait time. I am sure they can fix your trigger without it but I asked that specific question.

I talked to remington the week before July 4th and asked them just to send my rifle back as is. They had me full out a waiver. And I got my gun back, fixed trigger and all... So, yeah baby!!!

I too experienced bad communication from Remington regarding my 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD trigger recall:
1. Two weeks to get a box to ship it in.
2. Web site link not working properly.
3. Status info not updated and simply stating my rifle had been "logged in".
4. Call to Remington after @ a month resulting in learning the repair would take @3 months. Yikes!
5. After requesting name/address to send letter of complaint, miraculously received notification that my rifle had been repaired & shipped @ a week later.

I have to agree with jadedone4...the bad press is well deserved.