• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Rant on Kimber & "Not Cheap" 1911s in General

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
I just spent another half-hour tinkering with a new Kimber 4-inch Tac II, which is quite a beautiful gun and a delight to shoot.

But since it cost something like $1,100 bucks, I'm quite disappointed that the cliches from the 1970s and '80s still seem to be true: Spend big bucks on a .45 and you still need to WORK on it.

And no, I (and the owner, my son) have no interest in the "send it back" dance. Time without the pistol and shipping costs are NOT something I have any patience for. I'll do it myself, thank you (And yes, I have actually built up a 1911 from a bare frame and the durned thing worked!).

So, here's the list, in order of our discoveries:

1. Extractor would NOT snap over a round chambered from other than the magazine. Opinions may vary, but I don't consider that abuse of the pistol, and I can point to fully FOUR other ones which function that way just fine. Originally, all that would happen was denting the rim. So I stoned it and it will now snap over, but only from a slight running start. Can't just ease it forward and then grab the slide and help it over, like the other ones do. Turns out the outboard (right-hand) side of the "nose" is not long enough to put the slope on without turning the hook into razor-sharp and actually making it start to disappear.

Oh, the extractor also did not have the current state of the art beveling on the bottom faces, either.

2. The slightly extended ejector fed about 15-25% of the empties into your face. A little extra tension on the extractor, done while futzing around with problem #1, cured that. A bit disappointing for a pistol with a lowered and beveled ejection port, but those two things at least reduce the incidence of dented case mouths.

3. The slide stop has no "slope" or detent/"dimple" to keep it from automatically engaging in the middle of a string *if a Shok-Buff is installed*. Now, being an aluminum-framed pistol, I would think that the maker would expect a certain percentage of their customers to be interested in using a Shok-Buff. I've worked on it a bit, so now it engages only about once every 100 rounds (tested and observed this morning). Okay, still not ready for prime time at this point, but it is doable.

4. This may or may not be fair in the context of using a Shok-Buff, but the 1/8-inch reduction of rearward slide travel keeps the forward edge of the slide stop cut from pushing the slide stop down when the slide is pulled back all the way. Yes, that's the primary cause of #3 above--the slide stop has a place to bounce UP into when the slide is hitting its rearward limit of travel.

5. The mag release was not dimensioned properly and would drag on the magazine, for NO drop-free, if pressed in fully. The radiused portion opposite the catch (as in on the left side) is where the problem was. Kinda sad watching a shooter do the "Glock-Off" shake to dump the mag while reaching for the reload (that maneuver got its name from the early NON-drop free magazines the Glock 17 came with at first. Even the G-22 in .40 came with them in the old days). That one got fixed this evening. I have nothing against using MIM-parts in that setting, but at least FINISH them instead of relying on the stupid mold! Turns out the steel is stainless, too--would not take any cold blue when I got done relieving the drag point.

I've had two separate SIG P226s, and they just worked out of the box with no fiddling from the beginning and always have since, for about $500 LESS than this Kimber.

One of the comparison M1911s is an old Remington-Rand that was built into a National Match gun back in the 1960s, complete with a match barrel (genuine USGI NM). It feeds some imitation H&G 68 200-gr SWCs with a too-small meplat better than the Kimber.

Oh, #6: When polishing the breechface tonight, I could see that the machining, or perhaps lack of it since the metal has big pores consistent with the slide being cast, too (I doubt THAT was MIM, but who knows these days...), there were three horizontal "low spots" sort of like gentle dips, the middle one centered on the firing pin hole. I wouldn't expect them to affect feeding that much, but it was a bit of a disappointment. First time I've ever seen that, including an old Astra and a newer Kel-Tec.

So, more testing to see whether the latest tweaking fixed it.

AFIC, any pistol costing $600 or more should just work out of the box. If not, either the maker is not up to snuff, or the design in just plain bad. I really don't believe that the M1911 design is bad, cause comparable guns like Colt Gold Cups have always worked fine, from all accounts AND personal experience.

I actually like taking on a challenge and fixing things, but that's what I would have expected if the purchase had been a $500 cheapo-gun.

Re: Rant on Kimber & "Not Cheap" 1911s in General

Good luck finding any cataloged 1911 for less than $1500 that doesn't benefit from extractor tuning and some final polishing.

None of the manufacturers are building 1911's and fitting parts at that price point, they're all assembling them from boxes of parts.

Most 1911's will not slingshot when a shock buff is installed in them, FWIW.

I've yet to get my first 1911 and will be postponing buying one further due to money issues this summer. After reading, getting opinions, and searching for a 1000$ 1911 when i was first looking. Apparently these days 1911 quality is pretty damn expensive. I finally just upped my budget to 1500$ at the least. I figured by the time i took a 1000$ 1911 of my preference (MC operator at the time) gave it to my local smith, had the MIM parts replaced (if there were any i can't honestly remember) add front & back strap checkering, bevelled magwell, refinish etc. I figured it would be 1500$ or more.

Sorry about your mishaps with the kimber. Though they produce a ton of 1911s a year, with all the negative feedback, the thought of ending up with a problematic kimber scares me.

MY KIMBER EATS AMMO LIKE A HUNGRY HIPPO

I had mine gone through by a smith and felt the same way. Though it didnt have any problems when he went through it . He fixed the future headaches. I havent had a problem as far as a jam / stovepipe in 500 rounds .I plan on really running her this summer!

DSCF8004.jpg

Most Kimbers benefit from a Wilson Bulletproof extractor and a Wolff recoil spring. Ask me how I know this.
smile.gif

As much as you'd like to protect your aluminum frame, I'd suggest not using a shok buff on a 1911 that is shorter than a 5" Govt. Model. The slide's travel is already reduced on most Commander (and shorter) 1911s, which is why they have an extended ejector to begin with. Adding a shok buff reduces that travel even more.

I hear ya on that. I have a Springfield Loaded that has had a bit of work done by a local gunsmith that has all been quality work. I really thought I had everything sorted out and that it was working great until recently it has been having a few stupid issues.

I don't shoot enough to want to screw around with reliability so it sits in the safe and I shoot my Glock 30 now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Extractor would NOT snap over a round chambered from other than the magazine.</div></div>

Opinions have no bearing. It wasn't designed to work that way.

2. thru 5.

It's a Kimber.

Tauras PT 1911..S.S. add Brownell parts to your liking.I have shot them off a ransom rest along with my RRA 1911 (2500$)
They are not bad....work...and are more accurate than most(hobbyists) can hold.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Berryhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as you'd like to protect your aluminum frame, I'd suggest not using a shok buff on a 1911 that is shorter than a 5" Govt. Model. The slide's travel is already reduced on most Commander (and shorter) 1911s, which is why they have an extended ejector to begin with. Adding a shok buff reduces that travel even more. </div></div>

Sage advice here, from one of the best 'smiths in the business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Berryhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as you'd like to protect your aluminum frame, I'd suggest not using a shok buff on a 1911 that is shorter than a 5" Govt. Model. The slide's travel is already reduced on most Commander (and shorter) 1911s, which is why they have an extended ejector to begin with. Adding a shok buff reduces that travel even more. </div></div>

Sage advice here, from one of the best 'smiths in the business. </div></div>

+1. One of the things that I love about this site is that people who <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> know what's going on show up and post. (That <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> you, right?)

I had a Kimber tactical ultra II and had to have it sent back after the first trip to the range. The gun wouldnt feed hollow points and the plunger tube separated from the frame.
The customer service from Kimber was a nightmare. The basic attitude was "so what" they finally agreed to fix it then proceeded to loose the gun, missing for abiut two weeks. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. After that the gun ran perfectly, great shooter but I decided to not to ever get another Kimber.

Like Dave said the Shok-Buffs don't tend to work well if at all on the 4" guns. It shortens the stroke of the slide even more than it already is being a 4" gun.

Likewise, the 1911 was never designed to have the extractor snap over the rim of the cartridge. Think of it is a controlled round feed, its only going to lead to broken extractor hooks and lost tension if you keep forcing it to snap over the rim.

Like Jim D said as well, for anything under 1500 bucks, they are pretty much assembled from a parts box. Not fitted. Hell I have even had to go in and tune Nighthawk extractors, revisit the feed ramp angle, and rework the ejector to get them to run right.

I'm sorry to gear about your Kimber trouble. For what it's worth I've had two that were problematic out of the box. First one I sold with full disclosure after getting it somewhat reliable feeding, I like you don't want to play the send it back game. A pistol like that with issues feeding tends to shake my confidence in it so that I don't want it anymore even if it gets fixed.

Second one belongs to my father in law now, and we've worked the bugs out. A little ramp polishing and a new recoil spring got it running 100%. Still, why did it need a new spring right out the box for $1400? That's ridiculous to me.

The wife bought me a new Colt Commander XSE for Christmas last year and it has been flawless for the 800 rounds I've put through it so far, and I'm happy. For once I have a 1911 that I trust, and it cost less than either of my Kimbers. The slide fit and all that isn't as nice, but it works and I'm not asking any more than that.

On the other hand I've heard bad things about Kimber rifles as well, but the one I have is fantastic and without a single issue.

I know everybody puts out a lemon once in a while, but some sure seem to have more than others. At the $1000+ price point I find out of the box failures unacceptable.

Thats weird that your gun wouldnt work as it was not designed to. I cant believe you would have issues with a gun that you added extra parts to.

Rather than spend a ton of time going through the entire list, I'll just say.......it's a Kimber and leave it at that.

My previous chief bought a couple of Kimbers. And I got asked to make them shoot, since I am an armorer. Out of the box both were Jam-O-Matic 5000's. Wouldn't cycle for beans. They WERE very accurate -- single shots.

Both ended up going back to Kimber. Finally gave up. Got money back. Same was true of several other 'custom' 1911's he bought and ultimately resold because they just would not cycle.

Finally, I talked him into buying a Gold Cup. If I recall right, a Series 80. Nothing Special. He still has it. It never misses a beat.

Call me old-fashioned, dead wrong or just brainwashed... but the one brand of 1911 that simply always shoots is Colt. I have several. They are as reliable as gravity. They shoot accurately. And if you get a Gold Cup or NM... they will shoot dead-nuts accurately.

There are a ton of 1911 variants. Some of which sell for big, big $$$$ and have lots of gee-whiz features. But give me a box stock Colt 1911 every time.

I am now off to apply my flame-proof clothing and await the sarcasm and derision from those who say I am living in 1950...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Did a trigger job myself on a new CDP-II compact after sending it to the factory where they messed it up worse. Gritty, dragged, too much overtravel. I trust that gun with my life though, travel with it whenever I leave the state, it'll shoot anything. Mostly I load it up with WW2 surplus ball ammo. Figure it was good enough for Nazis and Emperor worshippers, why not gang bangers?

1911 Sigs will run right out of the box. I. don't understand why so ,many folks are still fooling with kimber. They had their day and still make some good guns but you never know if yours is gonna be one of them. Nowadays there are several better alternatives in the same price range and way lower

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911 Sigs will run right out of the box. I. don't understand why so ,many folks are still fooling with kimber. They had their day and still make some good guns but you never know if yours is gonna be one of them. Nowadays there are several better alternatives in the same price range and way lower</div></div>

That was my first and last experience with Kimber. I still own the gun, but own a half dozen SIGs too, my favorite is the 229 in 357 SIG. Yowza that's some firepower. And compact-ish.

I have to knock on wood with my raptor 5". I have read sooo many complaints on the pro and ultra's, not too many on the full size models. I have had one ftf in 3000+ rounds. Good luck getting yours up and running smooth.

I really like what i've heard of DW and the fact they don't have front slide serrations and the roll mark on them is very small.

Theres only 1 way to get the 1911 you want.....

Start with Mil/Spec or Series 70 and build from there....

Stainless was done by Vandenburg, 2 Colts by Shumaker, The 9mm/ 38 super is still in the work and being sorted out before going back for final finish. A member here owns the Colt 45 now.

I had around $1500 in the Colt 45, $950 in the V-burg, and don't wanna answer what the 9mm/38 super will cost when finished... Lookin back its in Les Baer territory.

Jumping a rim without a mag isn't what a 1911 was designed to do... I think the external extractor Kimbers will do it though.

1911_s1.jpg

everyone has experience to share...here is mine. Never owned a new Kimber, but I have owned over 30 different 1911's. Some stock, some full house custom, some with one degree or another of custom work by name smiths.

The early Kimbers I own will shoot as well some custom guns and they just plain work 100%. 200 grain swc reloads, hollow points, various mags, whatever..they just work and shoot little tiny groups.

Like Colts but I have seen some terrible examples in the 80's...Had several Gold Cups and the sights flew off of them. The Kimber Gold Match will out shoot them every day..

Springfield's-good gun to build on, the loaded model was not bad for the money except the beavertail was so poorly cut it would take an expensive weld job to make the gap in the grip safety look good again.

At the end of 25 years of shooting the various examples..I kept the early Kimbers and got the rid of the rest. YMMV

PS-The one gun i regret selling the most..was a 9mm Colt Govt model from the 70's. It ran great and was a blast to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Jumping a rim without a mag isn't what a 1911 was designed to do... I think the external extractor Kimbers will do it though. </div></div>

Poke, and all above who posted similar sentiments, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Every USGI .45 I've ever handled, plus a Gold Cup, plus a commercial Colt, all would do the rim snap-over.

It's not the preferred mode, and certainly not what it's *normal* function is designed to do, but it's also something I'm really going to want if my one-in-a-million jam involves a double feed and the round in the chamber won't fall out under gravity.

Most people consider Ruger's execution of the Mauser controlled-feed in their centerfire rifles to be an improvement, because if a round gets ahead of the extractor, you can still snap it over and either fire that round or pull it out. Consider the alternative.

Desirable design feature, that is.

We'll see how it does this week with the Shok-Buff removed. At the very least, that should eliminate the random lockback.

Thought Kimber was back on their game, but that's apparently not the case.

I have a 10 year old Kimber that just shoots, nothing to it.
I think I've stovepiped it once in 500 rds, that's acceptable to me.

I have considered selling it but ....she shoots too well and wears a set of Pacific madrone grips that I hand made.
First thing I did was to get rid of the plastic mainspring housing and put a Wilson combat on it.

Kimber_newgrips_small.jpg

Fact of the matter is that 1911s are expensive. Manufacturing costs and labor drive up the production costs. The 1911 design is old and has lots of parts. These parts usually have to be fitted to the particular model, if not, gun. I have nothing against 1911s, but the design is over a century old, times change, new materials and manufacturing processes are invented. Now we can make a gun mostly out of plastic for 1/5th the cost and time of a 1911, and it will be more reliable and user friendly (subjective to a degree, but you cant argue with drop in parts).

If you think kimber is a high end 1911 manufacturer you need to stop hanging out at the local gun shop and look at les baer, nighthawk, ed brown, ect. If you want a properly built 1911 youre going to have to pay for it, if you want a pretty pistol to show to your friends buy a kimber. I personally am getting out of the 1911 game, too expensive and high maintenance for my tastes. I want a handgun that can be ran for thousands of round in extreme conditions, and in the event of a parts failure I can fix with a punch and a drop in part. I also would prefer a gun that holds 17-19 rounds of a slightly smaller caliber that 7-8 rounds of "human death ray", just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every USGI .45 I've ever handled, plus a Gold Cup, plus a commercial Colt, all would do the rim snap-over.</div></div>

Most will, but that still wasn't the design. The S&W or SIG versions may be more to your liking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also would prefer a gun that holds 17-19 rounds of a slightly smaller caliber that 7-8 rounds of "human death ray", just my opinion.</div></div>

Give me a Glock 21, 13 rds of human death ray please.

And hasn't everyone figured out Kimber makes a pretty crappy 1911 by now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And hasn't everyone figured out Kimber makes a pretty crappy 1911 by now?</div></div>

No. That is the part about reading on the internet. You have 1,000 mentally dim people out there stating they have no problem with their handgun. They have had it for 10number of years and have 500 rds down range. So you have fired 50rds each time you have been out for a total of you fired it 10 times?

I have had my kimber 10mm for almost three years and I have almost 800-900rds and I am not able to bitch enough about my kimber. Yes if I keep it spotless less than 8rds it will hammer out 1inch groups at 25yds. Fire round 20 now you are starting to get into 12 inch range. Hit 50 and you will be lucky to hold two feet. Talk about stove pipes I have 5 mags and all of them do it. Ejecting is not a problem it will kick brass way out there. It will cover your right flank. Brass goes about 25 to 35 feet at 4 to 5 o'clock.

I did put in a original style firing pin block and it is now kicking brass about to 13-20 depending on bounce.

part of the problem with the inconsistent brass slinging rings from the use of an officers length spring from the factory to accommodate the use of a bushingless barrel and the 4 inch slide. they also use a 22lb spring in the pro series while they use a 18lb spring in the ultra...which according to several smith's and 3 different techs at kimber is backwards. mine was already very reliable from the beginning, but was inconsistent in where it deposited all the spent brass, so i talked to my local guys at briley, and their 1911 guy suggested a lighter spring and about had a heart attack when i told him how heavy it was. since doing that i have had 1400 rounds through the gun without a single issue or hickup, and all the brass lands 6 feet away at 4 o'clock

My beef with Kimber (and maybe they've changed it since I owned mine) is the plastic MSH, the plastic trigger and the series 80 political garbage inside.

I bought a Series 1 w/series 70 internals and said plastic parts. I replaced the plastic crap w/a Baer gapless MSH. Also took the opportunity to change out all springs.

After that, the gun was great. I regret trading it. It taught me about 1911 quality though.

My Kimber was about $800 new in 1997 which translates to over $1K now. My upgrades were another ~$3 hundo or so (springs, colt adj. steel trigger, TG night sights, MSH) and it still didn't even remotely compare to the Baer TRS I acquired (they were about $1600 at the time). The LB is just a better made gun. Not mass produced.

I know there are other 1911's that run great out of the box that cost substancially less than a Baer, Wilson, NH Custom, etc...but Kimber does not make them. Sig and SW come to mind if you can get over their external extractor.

Bottom line, as long as fools buy Kimber 1911s, there will be no impetus to change. This fool made that decision once and won't make it again when other options exist at the same (or in many cases, better) price point.

Convincing someone to pony up the extra $1500 to buy a Wilson or Ed Brown over a Kimber is a difficult thing to do until and unless they discover and appreciate first-hand the differences in quality and craftsmanship.

That being said, the Kimber makes for an acceptable starter 1911 that looks and feels better than most Colts. I can't stand the majority of current Colt offerings: unfinished roll marks, sloppy frame-to-slide fitting, uncomfortable radiused areas, and a absolutely zero dehorning. Plus they consistently refuse to offer anything from the factory in a useful duty/carry finish; stainless and blued don't cut it anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My previous chief bought a couple of Kimbers. And I got asked to make them shoot, since I am an armorer. Out of the box both were Jam-O-Matic 5000's. Wouldn't cycle for beans. They WERE very accurate -- single shots.

Both ended up going back to Kimber. Finally gave up. Got money back. Same was true of several other 'custom' 1911's he bought and ultimately resold because they just would not cycle.

Finally, I talked him into buying a Gold Cup. If I recall right, a Series 80. Nothing Special. He still has it. It never misses a beat.

Call me old-fashioned, dead wrong or just brainwashed... but the one brand of 1911 that simply always shoots is Colt. I have several. They are as reliable as gravity. They shoot accurately. And if you get a Gold Cup or NM... they will shoot dead-nuts accurately.

There are a ton of 1911 variants. Some of which sell for big, big $$$$ and have lots of gee-whiz features. But give me a box stock Colt 1911 every time.

I am now off to apply my flame-proof clothing and await the sarcasm and derision from those who say I am living in 1950...

Cheers,

Sirhr

</div></div>

You'll get no flame from me at least. As I was reading this thread I kept thinking to myself "find yourself a nice used Series 70 Gold Cup and you'll never look back." The things I have heard about Kimber are inconsistent, and I've never owned any.

AFAIK the 1911 extractor was not designed to snap over the cartridge rim at all, let alone easily. The fact that anyone has guns that do it doesn't change that. IMO such a condition indicates the extractor is way too loose, poorly fitted or perhaps indicates a slide geometry problem.

Tight 1911's are capable of (all other things being equal) greater accuracy but generally must be tuned in order to feed, extract and eject reliably. Loose 1911's are a lot more forgiving in this regard.

The things that need to be done to a 1911 to make it accurate, tight and reliable are well known. Many of them are done by hand. Some of them involve choosing quality parts.

something else to think about is that kimber has probably the largest share of the 1911 market...so by that logic you will see the larges number of failures...i really don't think that kimber is any worse than any other mass produced 1911 on the market. Like i said earlier, i have two series II a pro and a custom and both of them are gems to shoot

I wish I knew why everyone thought they were a 1911 'smith. Slamming the external extractor over chambered cartridges?

The 1911 has a controlled round feed system. It is designed to feed only from a magazine. That concern was created completely by yourself, and your "stoning" was at the expense of proper extractor engagement on the chambered cartridge.

Shok-bufs are responsible for more malfunctions than probably anything else. No respectable smith would tell you to run them, ESPECIALLY not in a shortened gun. You're the cause of your own problem there (oh, and by the way, no gun that I have, even those that cost double what yours does, will slingshot with a buff installed).

You would "expect" them to prepare your pistol to be installed with a buff? I would "expect" most manufacturers of 4" pistols to expect them to be carried, and most to know that buffs have absolutely no place in a pistol that may be used for self defense. Really they have no business being in any pistol at all, but a part that serves absolutely no purpose other than to undermine reliability should ESPECIALLY not be in a lightweight carry gun.

Do you expect your Sig to take the abuse of slamming the (if old enough) internal extractor against cartridges? How about feeding from out of spec magazines or feeding empty cases?

I'm NOT a fan of new Kimbers, but suggesting that Colt is somehow better is laughable. They don't even fit a slide to a frame there and basically every gun they make, rattles.

Besides STI and the high-end Springers, I'm not even sure if there are any mass-produced 1911s that are worth buying anymore, but if there are, I sincerely hope they're kept out of the hands of tinkerers who come on the forum talking about what a piece of junk their new (insert brand here, Taurus, Colt, Kimber) is. Save the good ones for the rest of us.

Of course it's junk; Kimbers have been crap for nearly 10 years now and their declining quality control is well-documented on this forum and others...but expecting the gun to do things it was never designed to do (feed empty cases, snap the extractor over chambered rounds, cycle with a buff, not throw ejected cases in your face with reduced slide travel, etc.) is just ridiculous.

The 1911 is not a complicated design, but it is one that depends on a labor intensive process to produce, often requiring a lot of hand fitting. Comparisons to guns that were invented a century later, many of which borrowed heavily from the 1911 and modernized to fit the current state of high priced labor/machine production are simply inappropriate.

I'm not a purist nor a professional gunsmith, but I know enough about the design to tell a decent fit from crap, proper and safe functioning from broken, and a hack when I see one.

You should step away from the bench and get that gun fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. Anything less could be truly catastrophic.

" Should've bought a Glock."

Even $5,000.00 1911s will require extractor tension adjustment occasionally.

I have three Dan Wessons (CBOB, Heritage 45 and Valor 45) all have been flawless and are a pleasure to shoot. I also have a Colt commander that has run great for several years. There are several good 1911s out there unfortunately Kimber can be hit or miss. I would call their customer service and see if they take care of you. Steven

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AFIC, any pistol costing $600 or more should just work out of the box. If not, either the maker is not up to snuff, or the design in just plain bad. I really don't believe that the M1911 design is bad, cause comparable guns like Colt Gold Cups have always worked fine, from all accounts AND personal experience.

I actually like taking on a challenge and fixing things, but that's what I would have expected if the purchase had been a $500 cheapo-gun.</div></div>

A 1911 that costs $600 should not be expected to run well out of the box. It is not a plastic gun. It does not represent value. As has been said about Kimber above... they are not the greatest. The best "value" out there is probably Baer or Dan Wesson... and for a no frills model, expect to pay between $1,500 and $2,000. They will likely be accurate and run.

If you have high expectations for a $600 gun, that is great, just don't buy a 1911. You will be disappointed every single time. It is like comparing an out of the box Remington 700 PSS to a TRG or an AI or a custom. Nothing wrong with a PSS, and some will shoot as well as customs, but the deck is stacked against you. I have seen Kimbers at the range that run great out of the box and are highly accurate. They happen, but not as often as a new buyer might like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A 1911 that costs $600 should not be expected to run well out of the box. It is not a plastic gun. It does not represent value. As has been said about Kimber above... they are not the greatest. The best "value" out there is probably Baer or Dan Wesson... and for a no frills model, expect to pay between $1,500 and $2,000. They will likely be accurate and run.

If you have high expectations for a $600 gun, that is great, just don't buy a 1911. You will be disappointed every single time. It is like comparing an out of the box Remington 700 PSS to a TRG or an AI or a custom. Nothing wrong with a PSS, and some will shoot as well as customs, but the deck is stacked against you. I have seen Kimbers at the range that run great out of the box and are highly accurate. They happen, but not as often as a new buyer might like.</div></div>

I bought an auto ordnance 1911. It shoots ok but very low. Once I had a good load for it I have yet to have a real jamming issue with it. I know you are saying it will not be a match pistol but this thing does run and I would trust this less than $500 handgun far more than my kimber.

The neighbor bought a Kimber, even though I suggested that he spend a little more and get at least a Springfield TRP. Now it's having feeding issues and he's fit to be tied because he thought that he spent quite a bit of money on it. Unfortunately, as was said upthread, there's only so much that you can get for good polymer pistol money when you're purchasing something made out of metal, MIM and otherwise.

This kind of makes a point of mine in another post. I have seen the same issues in cheap 1911s and expensive ones as well. If you are gonna end up working on em, might as well save you a few bux and do the work on a cheaper one. I had a Springfield GI (cheap) and it would not let go of spent cases. I decided to just get rid of it instead of fumble fucking with it. High dollar customs dont usually have this issue, but its hit or miss on any mass produced ones. Have a buddy that always said Kimber is way too proud of their product, and the price tag reflects that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I bought an auto ordnance 1911. It shoots ok but very low. Once I had a good load for it I have yet to have a real jamming issue with it. I know you are saying it will not be a match pistol but this thing does run and I would trust this less than $500 handgun far more than my kimber.</div></div>

I am sure that there are many people who buy factory 1911's at the $600-800 price point and find them accurate and reliable. There are also many who don't. At that price point, the plastic guns are much more consistent. A 1911 that is well built and properly fitted will go head to head with any tactical tupperware. It will also cost much much more.

Im not a fan of too may plastic guns, but my metal H&K p7 and sigs have never let me down. If you dont like 1911's and want a good metal 45, try a SIG 220.

There is no room for unreliable firearms, i don't care if it is self defense or an over-under shotgun. I have shot a Kimber one time. A friend asked me to shoot it to figure out why it was so unreliable.

I have a Les Baer 45 that has malfunctioned on exactly 2 occasions in the 17 years I have owned it. Once was due to lack of lubrication (I forgot to lube after cleaning and it was bone dry.) The other time was when the recoil spring was too old. The rule is replace the spring when it is 1 coil shorter than new. Mine was 3 coils short when it malfunctioned.

My STI 40 needed a bit of massaging to feed reliably. No malfunctions since. Never have malfunctions with Glocks or a P7.

I had a POS Glock 21 that suffered the abuse of 3 owners. One of which tried sandpapering the slide so it would look like chrome and changed out the factory internals. Once I put all the original parts back in, shot str8 and never malfunctioned. Moral of the story, a crappy looking $300 used pistol can be more useful than a safequeen that someone paid $1000+ on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are gonna end up working on em, might as well save you a few bux and do the work on a cheaper one.</div></div>

Never had to work on any of the "not cheap" 1911s I've owned. Kimbers, Colts and a couple other less expensive versions are the ones that needed help.

To the OP, I had the exact gun and it was a nightmare. Bummer too, because saving up for my first handgun as a kid I always dreamed of a 1911 like a Kimber. Then when I finally got one it would pop brass in my face, and was unreliable even after a new recoil spring and Wilson mags.

Also sucked because it was a very nice looking gun and shot well. It had a very natural point of aim for me. Not worth shooting half an IDPA match though and then having it start jamming up every other round. That can really screw up your confidence in it as a match gun and more importantly one for carry.

Eventually got it working right but felt that I could never really trust it so I sold it and bought two polymer pistols, a G19 for the wife and an M&P 9 for me. Shoot them for much cheaper and I have had 0 malfunctions with both after thousands of rounds.

Next 1911 I get will probably be a 5" Springfield TRP or anything else without "Kimber" stamped on it.