• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes RANT This is HARD!!

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
When I got into precision rifles around 12 yrs ago life was simple and choosing an optic was too as the field was very small. Loopy, USO,NF, SB that was it! Sure there were these unicorns called Hensdolt but by the time you found a dealer they were no longer a dealer and nobody could afford them so no love loss.

I'm getting frustrated trying to find and decide on a lower end scope for use in Production Class. NOT because there are no suitable options, on the contrary there are too many options and its driving me bonkers!

Choices over $2K are easy as IMO they all are of better quality then what was available 10 yrs ago and there really is no wrong answer it just becomes a matter of what features you like over another.

I hope those of you just starting to dip your toes into this pond appreciate just how far the choices have come now. You can literally find a scope (and rifle) to fit just about every budget and have something of decent quality with the must have features (FFP, Mil/Mil).

Good problems to have and I'm happy to see the advances, but it still frustrates the hell out of me to have to filter through all the info lol!

OK rant off I got to get back to doing some work, good night gents!

A06

Couldn't agree more. Every time i take someone shooting that has never shot precision rifle before, I explain how the market has exploded with both rifles and optics that include features once sought as premium. Do you remember Zak's article before they formed TBAC (IIRC) ? That was 10/11 years ago i remember the recommendations vividly S&B, USO, NF, and Leupy. I now see the Hendsolt and Premier are on there too but i'm almost positive they were added.

Whilst some don't like the niche sport exploding and gaining some mainstream attention, it's a wonderful time to get into it, cost wise compared to years ago.

The 2nd rifle I bought was an AWM based on Zak's article where he compared it to Ray Dog's TRG. Zak was running a SB PM2 and Ray Dog the SN3 Ergo.

My first optic purchase was a USO SSDS...damn I wish I would have held onto that little bit of nostalgia.

I haven't been able to let go of my SN-3. Keep coming back to it. Reticle change couldn't hurt though. Oldest optic i own at this point 8 years and still being used. USO brings back ERGO b-17s and they'll have themselves another customer..

USO brings back ERGO b-17s and they'll have themselves another customer..

110% agree! Recalling conversations with JBW3 the ERGO was the most "Opticaly Precise" for lack of a better description way to adjust parallax. The side focus was driven by market demand as that is what folks were accustomed to. I think if people had the conversation with USO about the pros and cons of the two most would opt for the ERGO.

Oldest I have is an ST-10 M40 knobs, Ergo Mil/Mil, must be 9 or 10 yrs old. I was a die hard fixed 10x guy for a long time, still like them for many applications.

Ive been reintroduced to rifles about 8 years now.

I had to buy my first nice scope based on internet info because in my area scopes were Tasco, Leupold, or Bushnell. I couldn't find anyone or place with "high end" gear.

Times have certainly changed and now it seems there is a $5K plus "rifle system" every other shooting bench at my range.

Nice thing about that is the classified sections.

If I want to buy a shit kicker spare rifle I can likely go into the WTS areas and find a used not abused top tier scope at a nice discount from new.

PS there was a nice USO ST-10 in the WTS section here within the last 4 days or so. For close to $1K a tank of a scope was available to someone on a budget.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ics-for-sale/6625385-uso-st10-w-erek-and-ergo

Last edited:
PS,PS

For the same reason I ride my 96 Harley and refuse to sell Im wondering what could come along in scope technology that would make me ditch what I have.

I see Revic coming out with its headsup display scope but Im not sure that appeals for the same reason I don't see fuel injection as a benefit over my Mikuni carb.

Glass technology that captures more light or resolves the image better is interesting but are the electronics worth the change.

With the explosion of interested shooters things like the Ruger precision rifle are good and the requirement for "budget" scope makers to up there game has benefitted new enthusiasts.

This is the capitalist markets "spoiled for choice" that makes Anchors head spin.

But what is going to come that makes the experienced enthusiast or the professional decide the SB PMII has been surpassed?

Being a guy that shoots .308 and is lucky to get beyond 1000 yards maybe the problem is I haven't grown with the technology available.

Gots to get my polyester leisure suit to the cleaners now, take care.

Have to agree that the USO ST10 was the easiest to adjust parallax. I would never have sold mine except for the fact my old eyes needed more magnification.

I hadn't shot much in the last 25 years and when I bought a rifle at the beginning of this year on the recommendation of my buddy he asked me what scope I was going to put on it. I'm like "scope? you need a scope to shoot with?" Outside of a few shots with a hunting rifle in 1992 and a couple a year prior in the Marine Corps I had never used a scope, or a bipod. Only ever used iron sights and I was confident I could still hit targets.

I learned a lot in a very short time this year. Yeah, I can still hit man sized targets with iron sights. Certainly tougher at distance with an older set of eyes. The fundamentals weren't hard to remember, consistency has been harder and with a scope there is a scope consistency is much more important to getting eye relief correct. I am still working with using a scope. You don't have to account for parallax with iron sights.

In some ways it is harder, in a lot of ways it is so much easier with the amount of gear you can get and the technical advances have been huge. I have really enjoyed getting into precision rifle shooting. A lot to learn still but the journey has been fun.

I still find it hard to accept that I can use a bag for positional shooting. Seems like cheating. :D