• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Raptar-S, ES zero procedure

Desert Rat

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2017
Hello everyone I was curious for anyone who has a raptar S, ES what or how they go about their zero process with their scope? Thank you very much in advance all!

Set a white target at 100m and get your scope cross center(turrets set at 0) , then turn on raptar vis laser and center it looking trough the scope at the cross, move your target at 500-600m and repat the steps(at evening, low light condition). It’s easy ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Rat
No. Scope has to always be set for zeroing range when using raptar. Then after finding range use data card or kestrel and dial turrets.

Reactions: Desert Rat
There are two methods
  1. The offset method - This is a bit complicated but gives great results. When you got your RAPTAR there is a chart included that is an alignment chart. You basically have to recreate this chart for your mounting method. The way to do it is as follows. Thanks to @wigwamitus
    1. Mount the RAPTAR on the gun ... and preferably on a tripod.
    2. Then measure 4 offsets. One pair of offsets is the horizontal distance from the center of the barrel to the center of the laser aperture. The other offset is the vertical distance from the center of the barrel to the center of the laser aperture. The third offset is the vertical distance from the center of the optic reticle to the center of the barrel.
    3. Then draw yourself a picture. It can be on 1 inch (or half inch) grid paper if you like. In the center of the picture, place a dot for the center of the optic reticle. Make sure the dot representing the center of the optical reticle is highly visible (use a colored dot). Then measure off the distance down to the center of the barrel and mark the center of the barrel on the picture.
    4. Then draw your horizontal and verticle offsets to the laser aperture on the picture. Then connect those two lines by extending them until they meet. The point at which the extended lines meet is the center of the laser aperture. Mark that point on the drawing.Each drawing is very specific to a set of mounts for the laser and the optic. And any change you make to the mount or the scope etc. will require a different drawing.
    5. Then go outside and setup the target at about 25yds from the tripod and aim the optic on the rifle at the aiming point on the drawing (that you marked as the center of the reticle). Then adjust the vis laser on the RAPTAR until the laser is pointing at the point on the drawing corresponding to the laser. Then you will be parallel boresighted with the aiming laser on the drawing. I actually perform this step at 100 yards or further by using a reflective patch (see below). MAKE SURE that the elevation setting is set to zero on your optic regardless of the distance you use.
  2. Infinity zero method - You do a short range zero (25 to 50 yard). The day scopes reticle center dot and the visible laser are aligned as accurately as possible. This is the coarse zero. You then range a target located several hundred meters aways. More than 600 is optimal. Make sure that scope turret is still set to zero otherwise it will be wrong. Once again you align the reticle with the visible laser. At this longer distance, the optical axis of the day scope and the optical axis of the laser are essentially in parallel. You need to do both parts because the coarse zero introduces a shit ton of error. Even if you do the second zero at 100 yards, it won't be accurate at distance. This is easier to do at night using the IR laser and NV. There is a great article about this located here. Doing it with the visible laser during the day is harder and may require a target like nVisti offers
Here is a copy of my drawing for the offset method. I used a reflective patch at the exact offset point to help reflect the laser at distance. This is invaluable as at longer distances (200 and 300 yards), there is dispersion and this reflective target really helps you know when you are dead on. They are used by surveyors to align their equipment and can be purchased at Amazon for cheap. They come in different sizes but I use the 30mm size.

Here is a link

Surveyor's Target

RAPTAR Zero Target.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted up the processes I use in the NV subforum a few times. I'll hunt down the links and share here as well.

But Nik.H's post is pretty close.

I also have a process to align with a thermal reticle.

Actually, this fairly recent post has both the day scope and the thermal process.

Last edited:
As usual you guys are very knowledgeable and a very wonderful help.....an asset to have ...thank you so much all of you

Reactions: Nik H