• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Raptor night vision scope vs. AN/PSV 22?

davwil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hill country in Texas
I need (probably the wrong choice of words, should be I want) a night vision set-up to get rid of a major hog and coyote problem. I'm not sure which would be the best way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I like the idea of being able to switch the PVS-22 between rifles and not having to zero again but it has the disadvantages of added front-end weight and higher cost. For the added cost I could set up a dedicated AR-15 or AR-10. It would be nice however, to move it around quickly to a variety of rifles of different calibers and be able to use higher powered scopes, if the night is bright enough. (I'm of the understanding that 10x or 12x is possible on bright nights.)

With the Raptor however the 6x might be all I need considering 75% to 80% of the shots would probably be at 100 yards or less. The front-end weight would be less burdensome and apparently with the light going through less glass the clarity is better.

Again, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Raptor night vision scope vs. AN/PSV 22?

I have used both and from my experiences the Raptor is trash. I would much rather go with a PVS22.

Raptor constantly lost zero with the slightest of bumps.

Both the PVS22 and Raptor I used were military equipment so it is possible that the Raptor I got was misused and beat up.

In short, my Raptor experience was trash, and Im a huge fan of front mount NVD's.

Why not a PEQ2 or Attila (SP) and PVS-14 for your AR systems or whatever you want to mount your IR laser pointer on???
You get the benefit of being able to walk around without light which reduces the issue of scaring away game at night also.

Something to think about.

But then a PVS-22, or PVS-26 ,27 would be all great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not a PEQ2 or Attila (SP) and PVS-14 for your AR systems or whatever you want to mount your IR laser pointer on???
You get the benefit of being able to walk around without light which reduces the issue of scaring away game at night also.

</div></div>

That is probably going to be your most versatile setup. Head mounted NVD and a laser/illuminator on the weapon.

I played around with a D740 and like it a lot. If I was to build a dedicated night hunting rig, that would probably be my choice in NVD. Might wait around for the WASP that is coming out. From what I have read, that is suppose to be the cats ass!

A PVS22/24/26/27 would be cool to have, as you can move it around from weapon to weason, provided you have enough railspace up front. While it does "work" on higher magnifications, I found myself mainly shooting it on lower powers at 5-12x depending on how much illumination we have. The other week we shot at 300 yards and I had my NF turned all the way down to cut down on the sintilation when looking through the PVS-22. That was with no moon out and no artificial illumination to help out the NVD. Shot again on Saturday night with a 3/4 to full moon and it was no problem with the scope on 8-12x. There was a little pixelation at 15x, but tolerable. The 2 big disadvatanges that brings it down is the cost and the weight/imbalance it brings to the rifle. You probably can buy a D740, PVS-14 and a IR laser/illuminator for the price of a PVS-22.

Baccarat is right, the upcoming WASP is going to be stunning.
However, it will not be a replacement for the clip ons or monoculars.
His other observations mirror my own.
First and foremost, get the PVS-14, add an Aimpoint and/or IR laser, Surefire IR light, and a MilSpec 3X (for the PVS-14) and you will be able to handle 99% of your needs.
I also have a PVS-22 and a D-760 GenIII.
Useability of these units gets dramatically better when you add the illuminator. Still on the lookout for a laser illuminator for myself.

One thing to keep in mind is that at this time you can buy a true MilSpec PVS-22, that could change all over again.
I could not be happier with my AN/PVS-22 OSTI UNS.

edwin,

ASM1 has the Insight PEQ2A illuminators for sale right now. Shoot him PM.

I haven't responded since I had to leave town on an emergency. But, thanks for all the great input. It will give me a lot to digest. I'll let you know what I do. Thanks again for all the help.