• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rare Tikka

ChrisF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2002
New Zealand
Hi guys ,

Just got in a rare Tikka , its the M65A , it least thats what is stamped on the side of it , some have called it the Father of the Sako TRG series sniper rifles , was made in the late 80s , alot went into service into Police service in the UK etc .

Has some unusual features , has a alloy chassis block that stuff bolts to , uses wood & not plastic as the cladding , and uses a stock that looks a little like the old WWII Sten gun .
The stock has a lot of adjustment features , making it a nice handling stock , that can be fitted to most shooters , it is a long action , only made in 308 as far as I know , uses a center , 5rd single stack mag , 10rd is optional ( and very long ) .

The action uses a special synthetic sleeve at the rear of the bolt race way , this makes it a super smooth traveling bolt , as very little wobble side to side etc .

Here,s some pics of it .

'Where does he get those wonderful toys'.... Mate that's a nice find, looks like a great setup indeed. You can definitely see the linage of the TRG in it.

How's it shoot?

JJ

The Finns make rifles that I like to refer to as "ballistic sex".
Beautiful find. Looks like the cool grandpa of the Tikka Sporter.

Yeap , Its a very interesting rifle , down side is their are only a few made , and spare mags are almost rarer than the rifles , as to shooting , abit of a road block at moment , as the Sako Optilock mounts for old Tikka's does not quite work with this rare Tikka model , will work with all other Tikka's , ie 55 & 65 etc , just not the special limited M65A model.

The recoil stop on the mount does not line up on the correct place , and as such does not work , need to modifiy the ring or make a different recoil stop , so will not get to shoot until then .

About the only mod , I will do , is have the barrel threaded for a suppressor , so I will not be chopping it up too much .

The older Tikka's like this and the 55s etc , had cut rifled Tikka barrels , the steel used was Bofors from sweden , I think , they all have reps as very good shooters .

This old M65A was found in UK , my Parker Hale M85 came from Holland , and my Parker Hale M87 from the UK ,

Cheers Chris

I have no big Tikka collection , just two M65As , one has been mutilated , & will have to be restored a bit , it has had a set of iron sights off a target rifle fitted , so they machined the scope rail thinner at the rear to fit it , and drilled two holes in front of barrel to mount front sight as well , its the chopping of the rear dovetail that is most concerning .
I do want to add a nice M55 to my rifles at some point .
At this stage I have 3 Parker Hales , M85,M87 & a shot out TX1200 , and a M85 in bits , so I am on the look out for a Parker Hale rifle to turn into a M82 with kahles scope etc , and that will round out my Parker Hale sniper rifles very nicely .

Once I get a M82 done up , i will post a pic of all 3 Parker Hale sniper rifles etc .

Cheers Chris

Chris,

You can make new mags from 5 round M55 mags. They are a litte short and go flush with the bottom on the m65a. This is solved by gluing on a rubber basepad ala 1911 mags. Then you have to modyfie the cuts for magrelease, etc.The base raw metal stamping for mags is the same on M55 and M65A.

Hello ChrisF. Beautiful rifle there bud! I have been trying to find one of these in the UK for some time. I know a dealer had bought several when they were surplused by law enforcement,but I cannot find the dealer. Would you be willing to PM me whom you bought yours from? I have a beautiful M55 Supersporter in .308 and love it. I also have an M86 and M87 PH along with all the parts to build two M85s and several 86/87s.

Thanks guys , and thanks TorF for the info on the M55 mags , I was thinking maybe a AI AE MKI mag would be able to be fitted ?

Jwsub , have PMed you .

Cheers Chris

heres a pic of my M87 / C3A1 clone .