• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors ratchets? cleaning?

Nukes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
Central Coast of AZ
What is this thing "cleaning" I hear about?

After having a QD Gemtech coke onto the brake/adapter mount, WD40 came to the rescue.

Since then, I am a bit more circumspect about the period between cleanings, but I wonder especially about the ratchet-style QD mounts.

What precautions do owners take? Anti-seize, cleaning cycles, favored cleaning agents, ammo brands, lubes, etc.?

Or has bad experience caused members to completely avoid the ratchet or QD style mounts?

I ask in consideration of getting an AAC 762SDN6. Will cleaning be a constant chore?

Just taking the can off every once in a while will clean most. I did have a 762-SD lock up on a rifle at a PD hunt. Taking it off was a bitch. This is the same mount as yhe N6 your looking at. Surefires you just unlock and shoot off,,,says so in the destuctions and Ive done it,,,

Ive never had my SDN-6 lock onto the mount, but I take it off at the range every time while its still hot. I never leave it on the gun after a range trip(after everything cools when I get home I put it back on the gun as its my main HD gun). I did have the mount un-screw off the gun, but the can came off the mount and I just cleaned up the threads and re-rockset the mount back onto the gun. I am sure it was my fault that I didnt use enough rockset or clean the threads well enough when I did the initial install.

Get you some good heat resistant gloves. I have taken the can off while it was smoking with my Camel Back Heat Grip gloves and while hot and I didnt want to hold onto it, it wasnt impossible. Lots of guys swear by the Nomex flight gloves and they are cheap too.

makes more of a mess, Ive use the extreme high heat anti-seize on my thread on cans but not on my 762 sd's
If you take the can off every 300 rds or so they wont lock up. I ran 1000 or more Prairie dogging without removing it and thats when I had a problem