• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rate my planned build..

tarheel7734

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2014
    Asheville NC
    So i have been planning a bolt action build for quite some time. I was originally planning on going Howa 1500 barreled action with a Mcmillan a5 or a6 stock. Now I am leaning towards Bergara b14 hmr wilderness. If I like the stock it would save me about $600.00 over what the Howa would run. If I don't like the stock it will wind up being 1k more overall or so as the Bergara is 1k and Howa action around 500-600.

Next would be optics. I am on a budget and really been a fan of SWFA since the original 10x42m back in the mid to late 90s. With that in mind I was going to go with the ss 5-20hd, but lately been looking at the burris dmr 2 but never used a busier reticle, just mil dot. So kinda split on the optic.

For the bipod I was either going to start off cheap with the trusty Harris and eventually upgrade to the Atlas. Overall its around 2.5k-3k for the Bergara build depending on optic.

As I am in planning stage I am always open to suggestions.

I built my wife a rifle on a howa barreled action with stellar results. I highly recommend them but I think all my builds will have stainless barrels in the future.

My buddies McMillan stock is way nicer feeling than the hmr stock that I fondled at the LGS. I personally have an hs precision and a krg bravo and my next nice stock will be a Manners.

I can't say enough good things about my Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 that I picked up used for about a grand last year.

Very subjective, not for me at all. But I am sure I am the only one who would like my picks.

I rate your build ....100% uninteresting.

Pls just buy an Origin. Even if you need to buy a $400 prefit barrel and a $150 TT Primary.

Origin $800(there's one for sale in the PX right now for $800)
    TT Primary $150
    McGowan prefit. Threaded, chambered, cerakoted $450 OTD with Mil discount
    Used Manners w/ BM $800
    Warne Rings $120
    Athlon Midas Tac $650

$2970 and you'll actually keep that action for longer than 2 years

Personally I think more is to be gained from better glass than a better action. I don't think my remington 700 5r gen 2 is a gift from God but it is sub-moa all day and would take a hell of a shooter for it to be the weak link. My eyes on the other hand can take all the help they can get, steel targets on gravel backdrops or brown furry critters in front of brush and dirt are increasingly challenging when distance and inconsistent lighting are thrown in.

Reactions: rottenruger
    Between the Howa and the Bergara I would choose Howa. Reason being there are prefit barrels offered for them. The Bergara is a gunsmith only proposition for barrel replacement. Look at Athlon Cronus or the Brownells MPO for optics.

Pls just buy an Origin. Even if you need to buy a $400 prefit barrel and a $150 TT Primary.

TT Primary $150
    Used Manners w/ BM $800
    Warne Rings $120
    Athlon Midas Tac $650

This is spot on. Buy an origin, buy an origin, but an origin. Best bang for buck by a long shot and the ability to get profits will save you way more headache than you know.

Yep. That's it. You figured it out! The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but not in this case. This time disbelieving obvious stated truth in favor of your own truth paid off. You figured out the ruse!

🤦‍♂️

Honestly I get where you're coming from with the origin being way up on my list but I live with my budget and try to find the best benefit per dollar. I have shot a handful of GA precisions and AI's and a TL3 and they are all nicer than my factory actions but they all cost significantly more to the point that I'd have to shoot with iron sights lol

Last edited:
    Between those two go with the howa. If you’d said Remington 700 police or gen2 5r I’d say Remington. Howa is a better action in my opinion and I believe it has prefit barrels available.
    Like others have said, I really like my Athlon Cronus but my Athlon Midas tac 5-25x isn’t far behind and its definitely worth considering. You won’t be disappointed with the Midas tac 5-25x with it’s 32mils of elevation on the dial and darn clear glass. It’s hard to beat for $750-$850 retail or $600ish with military discount. I had the swfa super sniper and my Midas tac is much more scope in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Memberberries
    Being on your budget id say that if you go Howa, why not look into a Bell and Carlson with an Accublock in it? I know they aren’t sexy as a McMillan but they are solid and have never been lacking in accuracy for me (my factory rem 700 shoots sub minute with FGMM in a B&C). That would give you an extra $3-400 to put into an optic, or hell even to put towards a shooting course.

Honestly I get where you're coming from with the origin being way up on my list but I live with my budget and try to find the best benefit per dollar. I have shot a handful of GA precisions and AI's and a TL3 and they are all nicer than my factory actions but they all cost significantly more to the point that if have to shoot with iron sights lol
    Well the origin build fits his budget...

Go be poor somewhere else

Well the origin build fits his budget...

Go be poor somewhere else

😂 Ya got me.

For real though, what will he gain by spending $1000 more of his budget on the barreled action vs the bergara, howa, Remington, Savage, or whatever? His Optics will suffer but will the difference between a 3/4 moa factory gun and the 1/2 moa origin build make up for the downgrade from hd glass? Will heading to the bathroom with the action in one hand and tissues/lotion in the other be worth it when he's missing because he skimped on optics? I'm not saying not to buy the origin just don't skimp on the glass which means that his budget has to go up to include the origin, especially if he doesn't want used gear.

The Howa will treat you very well. Very well made, high quality Japanese rifle with a fantastic factory trigger.
    Get a Bravo chassis and then use the cash saved on better glass

reubenski, that is some really good advice from top to bottom on this thread. You actually helped steer me towards what sounds like a good optic for the 22LR trainer (Bergara B-14r) that I'm putting together. I'll definitely be checking out the Athlon Midas or Chronus. Thanks!

Reactions: reubenski
    I will only comment on your scope choice. I love SWFA and I have had several 12X fixed that I love and I have had a 5-20HD for the last 6 years. Ever since new the parallax and zoom adjustments have been stupid tight (even with Aadland gripper and Switchview throw lever). I just can't recommend the 5-20HD because it's a fairly common complaint with them.

I also have three Athlon Midas TACs that have been great so far.

😂 Ya got me.

For real though, what will he gain by spending $1000 more of his budget on the barreled action vs the bergara, howa, Remington, Savage, or whatever? His Optics will suffer but will the difference between a 3/4 moa factory gun and the 1/2 moa origin build make up for the downgrade from hd glass? Will heading to the bathroom with the action in one hand and tissues/lotion in the other be worth it when he's missing because he skimped on optics? I'm not saying not to buy the origin just don't skimp on the glass which means that his budget has to go up to include the origin, especially if he doesn't want used gear.

HD glass doesn't mean anything.

I'd take my strike eagle 5-25 all day to make a budget work if I had to. Centerfire or rimfire. Upgrade to a razor gen 2 down the road. Same reticle.

I havent lost a point at any match running a strike eagle versus something better.

I'd rather an origin and $500 prefit versus a bergera/savage/howa/r700 and a slightly more expensive scope. The savings there don't get me into a razor gen 2 which is $1600 so its no where worth it to me to run a factory action

The only thing that may sway me would be a tikka ctr. But that would be for different reasons

HD glass doesn't mean anything.

I'd take my strike eagle 5-25 all day to make a budget work if I had to. Centerfire or rimfire. Upgrade to a razor gen 2 down the road. Same reticle.

I havent lost a point at any match running a strike eagle versus something better.

I'd rather an origin and $500 prefit versus a bergera/savage/howa/r700 and a slightly more expensive scope. The savings there don't get me into a razor gen 2 which is $1600 so its no where worth it to me to run a factory action

The only thing that may sway me would be a tikka ctr. But that would be for different reasons

Another vote for the origin, or maybe a mac bros ss evo. The evo will save you about $250.
    Criterion savage ss prefit (origin) or remage prefit (ss evo)
    I'd lose the manners if you're on a budget in favor of a cheaper chassis, probably the bravo or x-ray gen2
    Triggertech Special

There was a tract toric on the exchange for $800 a few days ago. Add that and you're at a little over $2500 plus tax and shipping.

If anyone can do better for the money I'd be surprised. You'd have an adjustable chassis, aftermarket action with all necessary bells and whistles and damn good glass that should track 100% based on Frank's recent test.

Another vote for the origin, or maybe a mac bros ss evo. The evo will save you about $250.
    Criterion savage ss prefit (origin) or remage prefit (ss evo)
    I'd lose the manners if you're on a budget in favor of a cheaper chassis, probably the bravo or x-ray gen2
    Triggertech Special

There was a tract toric on the exchange for $800 a few days ago. Add that and you're at a little over $2500 plus tax and shipping.

If anyone can do better for the money I'd be surprised. You'd have an adjustable chassis, aftermarket action with all necessary bells and whistles and damn good glass that should track 100% based on Frank's recent test.
    I don't care for chassis and want a adjustable stock.

TT Primary $150
    Used Manners w/ BM $800
    Warne Rings $120
    Athlon Midas Tac $650

So you think a 1500.00 custom action and barrel is that much better that a 1k factory bergara rifleor a 1500.00 howa in a mcmillan adjustable stock?

$1275 custom barreled action. Yes.

I also think you're going to save money in the long run. By not losing half the value of that Howa when you decide you finally want a custom. Having access to more and cheaper prefit barrels. Having more and cheaper aftermarket stock options.

BTW, how is that Howa costing $1500? Is it the cost of the McMillan? How much are you paying for that stock?
    Yes that is with the stock. Might be a bit less for the stock, but around 1k was what I was expecting and around price they quoted me a bit ago.

Hit me up in pm if you can or I can give you my email or cell if you wouldn't mind answering some questions. I know nothing about that brand.

I don't care for chassis and want a adjustable stock.

So you think a 1500.00 custom action and barrel is that much better that a 1k factory bergara rifleor a 1500.00 howa in a mcmillan adjustable stock?

Swap out the bravo/xray for a used manners and you're still at $3k.

OK I think I am going to go with the Origin action. I think I will take my time and spread this out over some time and build slowly.

Reactions: b6graham
    I like the Howa 1500 action and there are some decent triggers/stocks for it. If you are going to buy a McMillan stock, it is probably worth the Origin upgrade. Now if you can get a complete Howa action for $300, that might be the way to go.

origin - $800
    trigger - $200
    mag & bottom metal - $350

Howa complete - $488
    true - $200
    trigger - $200

$900 vs $1350

Frankly, I used a Win 70 for my hunting rifle, but maybe should have used the Origin...

I like the Howa 1500 action and there are some decent triggers/stocks for it. If you are going to buy a McMillan stock, it is probably worth the Origin upgrade. Now if you can get a complete Howa action for $300, that might be the way to go.

origin - $800
    trigger - $200
    mag & bottom metal - $350

Howa complete - $488
    true - $200
    trigger - $200

$900 vs $1350

Frankly, I used a Win 70 for my hunting rifle, but maybe should have used the Origin...

You still need a barrel with the origin

Go with the origin.

if you must go with a factory action, tikka is your best route. I have custom actions and an AI but i still love to shoot my tikka with the fluted bolt and sterk bolt handle. You will "grow out of" your howa in no time and want something else. 1 custom rifle is cheaper than 1 factory howa and 1 inevitable custom rifle.

Go with the origin.

if you must go with a factory action, tikka is your best route. I have custom actions and an AI but i still love to shoot my tikka with the fluted bolt and sterk bolt handle. You will "grow out of" your howa in no time and want something else. 1 custom rifle is cheaper than 1 factory howa and 1 inevitable custom rifle.
    As of right now the origin is the plan. Might take a year or 2 to build, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.