• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rattle can paint removal from carbon fiber barrel????

Yote_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2020
Tennessee
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove rattle can spray paint from a carbon fiber barrel with damaging the carbon fiber wrap? Searched for a thread but couldn’t find anything specifically for a carbon fiber barrel. Thanks

It's not necessarily the carbon fiber you need to worry about, it's the resin they use. So without knowing that, we can't really help much. Wet and dry sanding will be safer to remove the paint.

Agree on the resin part but would find a chemical method that does not interact with the CF. Call manufacturer as noted above. IMHO, sanding removes material and I would not want to be removing any resin from the finished product. Not even a micron.

Reactions: Baron23
Agree on the resin part but would find a chemical method that does not interact with the CF. Call manufacturer as noted above. IMHO, sanding removes material and I would not want to be removing any resin from the finished product. Not even a micron.
I mentioned the sanding as it is a VERY common method for removing paint on high end carbon fiber bike frames before repainting. Those have differing resins as well. I know AG Composites state it's fine for their stocks too. Why would a barrel be different?

I would definitely wet sand and use a respirator, but not sure how it would otherwise hurt anything but your lungs.

Last edited:
Most composite works use gallons of Acetone. Just keep it away from plastics and you'll be fine.

If you want to play it safe use IPA as a solvent.

Reactions: toader
I mentioned the sanding as it is a VERY common method for removing paint on high end carbon fiber bike frames before repainting. Those have differing resins as well. I know AG Composites state it's fine for their stocks too. Why would a barrel be different?

I would definitely wet sand and use a respirator, but not sure how it would otherwise hurt anything but your lungs.

Good info JB and good to see the manufacturer agrees. FWIW, my laymans understanding of CF says don't compromise the fibers. No dings/dents/cracks/scratches. Depending on the thickness of the resin coating, a overly-exuberant sanding could work into the fibers and compromise the structure.

Reactions: jb0311
Good info JB and good to see the manufacturer agrees. FWIW, my laymans understanding of CF says don't compromise the fibers. No dings/dents/cracks/scratches. Depending on the thickness of the resin coating, a overly-exuberant sanding could work into the fibers and compromise the structure.
Oh yeah I mean don’t go to town with 60grit and a belt sander, but a fine grit to get the paint off shouldn’t hurt anything. I shouldn’t have included dry sanding in my first comment though. Definitely wet sand because of the airborne fibers and I wouldn’t touch it without a respirator either.

Reactions: charbroiled
I sprayed a test spot on a bartlien barrel with OD camo paint that stayed there for 3 years just to see how it would hold up before doing the whole barrel.
So it was well cured, i recently removed it fairly easilly with just a paper towel and 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Reactions: charbroiled