• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Rattlesnake..almost stepped on it!!!

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
IMG_0553.jpg

Jumped high enough to dunk a basketball over Michael Jordan!!

Re: Rattlesnake..almost stepped on it!!!

Nice, here's one from my elk scouting trip couple weeks ago. It's funny how when hiking there's absolutely no question at all what that noise is, the only thought is "Oh sh*t!"

Didn't kill this one, I like the stuff they eat less than I like them, and he was pretty calm.

115073944.sFrlsi8s.jpg

Nice! Glad you got him. I've had to do the same thing. A co-worker of mine and I were walking back on a dirt road after turkey hunting. All of a sudden I see something pull back just on the right edge of the road (he's on the right). I swung my arm and hit him so hard in the chest it knocked him back. He was pissed until I pointed down and he saw it, and he said the same thing everyone else does-" Oh sh#t!" Pulled the 38 with the snake shot to dispatch it. He was thankful I hit him so hard, beacause his next step would have been inches from it. It gets your blood flowing for sure!

I HATE snakes. The only good snake is a dead one.

30" would be a good guess...I did'nt think to measure it.

The longest one I ever mearured was 58". I was opening a gate up near the Canada line and it was coiled up right next to the gate post...should have got a pic of that one!

I was in SFAS a couple months ago and smashed the head of a copperhead in with the butt of my fake M-16. (Gotta love training aids)... Would have loved to have a pistol with snake shot but you make do with what you have.

Glad you got it before it got you.

I've only gotten 4 this year. Got my all time longest last year of 52". Record kill for one year is 35. I don't go out looking for them, they are all ones I come across at work. I'm glad we only have rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, and brown recluse to worry about here!

They say its good to eat but I've never tried it...how is it and how do you cook it?

Damn! I didn't know they had rattlers up there. Glad to see you made him a good snake. We used to run across a lot of them when I lived in Mississippi, around here it's mostly cottonmouth and copperhead country.

Except for the Coral snake, every poisonous snake in North America can be cooked and eaten. Just have to chop their heads off about 2 inches behind the venom sac.

I remember visiting the Little Big Horn as a kid. Never been around so many rattlers in my entire life.

I've been hunting antelope around Gillette for the past couple years and i've been trying my damndest to get a rattler, i've found plenty of shed skins and a few dead ones, but I haven't been lucky enough to come across a live one yet, is early october a bad time of year to find them out and about?

PGS, i've eaten it once, it was good it was done up just like fried chicken, thats about what it tasted like too...

Steve

I eat it when ever i get the chance. It taste nothing like chicken. If its not prepared right it is to tough to eat. It doesnt have any fat so frying in bacon grease helps. When I lived in southern WV we hunted them. 66 inches is my longest eastern Diamondback. The Timber rattlers had huge circumfrences
If it taste like chicken it was probably chicken.

Well I watched them skin and clean it so if it was a chicken it had some serious issues
wink.gif
the texture of the meat was nothing like chicken, but it did taste like chicken, probably partially due to the fact that it was cooked like fried chicken,
it did have that reptile flavor too, kinda like turtle just not as fishy...

Slayer, Most of the rattlesnakes in this country are getting pretty close to their dens in early October. I have a friend who has a ranch down across the lake in Garfield county with a really good snake den on it...within a 300 yards of the main entrance you are likely to find dozens of snakes on a warm October day. We use a Benneli M1 Super 90 with a short barrel and trap loads. Prairie dog towns are another likely place to find rattlers in early fall.

Good luck and watch where you step!!

Jake almost got me @ Benning one day, I was playing Sneakey up on sand hill during Basic, You know the "up they see me im down game, well I floped almost on top of one! Now for a kid from Alaska, that shit was not cool, its not like we snakes where I'm from so I did not even think. And yes I got smoked for almost getting bit.

Guys, what gives? I thought most of you hunters were one with nature (as opposed to someone that sees nature as frightening and foreign). There is no need in killing every snake you see. I dont have a problem with killing one every now and then to eat, or have mounted, or take a picture with, but killing them because they are scary or "you dont like them" does not make any sense. They do play important roles in keeping the balance of nature. They are rat killing machines -- and look what happens when rodent populations get out of hand (just look at parts of Asia). Well enough said on that subject. I didn't want to preach, but simply interject another perspective. Note: cut rattlesnake into steaks, soak overnight in beer and tabasco sauce, batter and fry as you would fish. Excellent!

I've heard that if you are walking along and hear one rattling that you should stop until you locate it so you done run the wrong way and get bit. I guess they rattle to signal their alarm as a warning?

You're only assuming they rattle. I have run in to many that never did rattle. Killed one about 4 years ago that was missing about 4" of its tail. Usually when you hear them rattle, they are really close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rm76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, what gives? I thought most of you hunters were one with nature (as opposed to someone that sees nature as frightening and foreign). There is no need in killing every snake you see. I dont have a problem with killing one every now and then to eat, or have mounted, or take a picture with, but killing them because they are scary or "you dont like them" does not make any sense. They do play important roles in keeping the balance of nature. They are rat killing machines -- and look what happens when rodent populations get out of hand (just look at parts of Asia). Well enough said on that subject. I didn't want to preach, but simply interject another perspective. Note: cut rattlesnake into steaks, soak overnight in beer and tabasco sauce, batter and fry as you would fish. Excellent! </div></div>
Sorry bro, dead snakes are good snakes. If I seez em, Im killen em

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jumped high enough to dunk a basketball over Michael Jordan!! </span>

That's the difference between me and you......I would have shit all over myself and then passed out and fell in it. LOL

Glad you didn't get bit.

Keith

Glad you did not get bit. Here is what I do with them. I kill a few every year. Especially hate the ones in the barn under the hay bale's. Bring home every King Snake I can catch. They eat rattle snakes.

IMG_0121.jpg

I bought a Colt Detective Special a long time ago, just for that kind of situation. Our youngest daughter was about 10 years old. While we were fishing the river bank she stepped across a copperhead. Ever since then when I'm out I still carry it with 3 snake shot and 3, 158 grain HPs. Then I have a speed loader of shot and one of the hollow points.

I have yet to shoot one. If I see them in time I will give them a WIDE berth to get around.

I've been bitten once. That was enough. I was a sick puppy for a few days. Since it happened at night and I didn't see it, they couldn't give me the anti-venom. Wife's father found it the next day where I had ran over it with the truck when we left.

Hannibal, I 100% see where you're coming from. However, respectfully, this is where I'm coming from. I work in an environment where rattlesnakes are hiding around every corner. It is dangerous enough without worrying about snakes. I work in the gas fields of the Powder River Basin. Every minute I'm surrounded by noisy gas compressors, generators, diesel engines, air compressors, gas recovery equipment, high pressure lines, water lines, and even pivot sprinklers. This equipment is always warm and gives off vibration that attract snakes. Most of the time you can't hear or see them, and when you do they are always way too close. They are hiding on skids, under skids, in the walls of buildings, on and under pipe. I have had quite a few close calls where luck was the only thing that kept me from being bit. That is why I kill them. For the safety of myself and my coworkers. I leave the bullsnakes to work over the mice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hannibal, I 100% see where you're coming from. However, respectfully, this is where I'm coming from. I work in an environment where rattlesnakes are hiding around every corner. It is dangerous enough without worrying about snakes. I work in the gas fields of the Powder River Basin. Every minute I'm surrounded by noisy gas compressors, generators, diesel engines, air compressors, gas recovery equipment, high pressure lines, water lines, and even pivot sprinklers. This equipment is always warm and gives off vibration that attract snakes. Most of the time you can't hear or see them, and when you do they are always way too close. They are hiding on skids, under skids, in the walls of buildings, on and under pipe. I have had quite a few close calls where luck was the only thing that kept me from being bit. That is why I kill them. For the safety of myself and my coworkers. I leave the bullsnakes to work over the mice. </div></div>

I dont have a problem with killing snakes under this kind of circumstance or under some other circumstances, but when you hear people say "the only good snakes are dead snakes" or "I kill every snake I see" they are cleary telegraphing the fact that they aren't woodsmen. Shooters perhaps, and maybe hunters, but not woodsmen.

We dont have rattlers here where i live.But we do have water moccisons and copper heads.About 2 years ago my youngest brother got bit on the ankle by a copper head.his leg swelled up so bad they had to split the skin up the inside of his leg to keep from getting nerve and muscle damage.It took about 6 months to heal.His leg still isnt right to this day.And proably never will be............I HATE SNAKES.......

Glad you got that sucker, especially since he was armed with a revolver, or was that the throw down piece hahahaah. Snakes are good, unless they rattle, then they must die.

Rattlers suck. My wife was bitten right outside our back door. That anti-venom is not cheap!!!!! That snake caused a H U G E Dr. bill. Could of been worse I guess. Bullsnakes good Rattlers BAD

My neighbor killed the biggest timber rattler I have ever seen last Sunday. he and a partner were bear hunting and heard a strange BUZZZZZ. He thought it was a Cicada as he is from southern california and no stranger to snakes. Mike he took an extra step and the sound stopped. Being the curious kind he stepped back two steps and it started rattling again. He soon found a Timber rattle snake nearly 5 feet long and big around as your for arm. He Hydro shocked it, left it along side the trail and picked it up on the way back. He fed that snake to his family Sunday night. I guess people do eat them but I just do not care to eat a snake. Maybe if i was starving but not until then, I have seen them, shot some and left some depending on circumstances.
It's a snake guys. If we learned anything from Adam it should have been to shoot the snake! Jeff

Another close call today. He was laying next to a 18" line where I had to close a valve.

P8200144.jpg

Yep. This one almost got me. It was cool out this morning and he didn't rattle. I didn't see him until he started coiling up. If it was warmer out and he was ready, I was close enough to get bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice buck benlow!! </div></div>

Thanks PGS that is the biggest one I have ever taken in CA. Hard to get drawn for a good tag here. Been spending a lot of time in Montana, but have not got to hunt there yet. My boss lives there but does not hunt. I have seen some real nice ones in your photos but have not seen any in Montana as big as the one's you are getting. Went hunting with some of his brothers freinds in Winifred, but passed on every thing I seen. Plenty of twenty to twenty four inch bucks there, but I was looking for something big. Freezer was full.

benlow, Keep passing on that size of bucks and sooner or later you will be rewarded with a giant!!!

Here's my contribution to the good snake pile...
(notice the glove!)
When I told my neighbor he asked how many times I shot it, I said 9. He said "Why Nine?" I replied "Because the gun doesn't hold 15."

Surprise.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Because the gun doesn't hold 15."</div></div>

Bwahahahaha, good answer.

Is the GSP in your name for your pointers? I live in snake country and have my three GSPs treated with a preventive vaccine.

1911fan

Yup, German Shorthaired Pointer(s)-I have 4 of 'em. That's an Eastern Diamondback. My hunting mentor has killed one that the tail dragged on the ground when he held it above his head, and he is 5'10". I have seen the picture. 12 rattles.

I looked into the vaccine here, and was advised by my vet not to do it. It (the vaccine) is for Western Diamonbacks.

Sorry for the thread 'jack.

Continued thread jack:
I think the maker is Red River Biologics, Red River something or another. We've got timber rattlers here, not diamondbacks, and my vet tells me has had several dogs saved by it. I almost lost a GSP to a dry bite a while back, and as soon as the vaccine was out my dogs were all on it.
I also snake train them every spring. We kill one, cut it's head off, and then hide it somewhere. We let the dogs into the area one at a time, and as soon as we know they are aware of the scent we hit them with the e-collar turned up high. They hate snakes and on several occasions have alerted us to snakes nearby.

1911fan

PS: Maybe we should atke this to PMs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you got that sucker, especially since he was armed with a revolver </div></div>

That's just what I was thinking. Makes sense though, without thumbs (or hands) how would he work the safety on an auto?

The way most of you talk about snakes makes me wonder when the next sewing bee will take place.
grin.gif

grossest thread I have ever seen...I usually just steer clear but if one doesn't rattle it gets popped (can't have that in the gene pool, and it is more frequent than one might think)

I'd rather he be dead than me be bit.

Last year we didn't see any snakes near Casper where we were hunting but 2 years ago they were all over the place. One of the guys showed how to catch them with your tee shirt, like he did as a kid in CO. Steve is not just a reticle expert. Here is a pic, I couldn't find the video.
SecondRichBartmanAntelopeHunt200715.jpg