• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rayner’s SE Ohio Fall Sniper Challenge Nov 2-3

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
O.K., here it comes again. November 2nd and 3rd. I just cut and pasted the info below from the previous match thread, but I'm sure it will be similar. Any changes will be announced in this thread. There will be 20 shooters per day for Saturday and Sunday. $50 match fee is due by October 1st. Any cancellations after Oct. 10 will not be refunded. If you already signed up after the last match you are GTG and no need to call back in.

Cost to shoot the match will be $ 50.00. There will be trophies for 1st 2nd and 3rd places (NO PRIZE TABLE). Start time will be 8:00 am. We are looking at about 20 stages. We are going to run a few stages timed like a pistol match. Most stages you will have 2 shots per target if needed. It looks as if the longest shot could be 1000 yards or so. Minimum of 45 shots and max of about 80. It will be shot in a one day format. All competitors will pre register for the match. They will be able to shoot the match either on a Saturday or a Sunday. The staff will shoot on Friday. It looks as if there will be a couple of different structures to shoot from incorporated into the match. Scoring will be 10 points for a first shot hit and 5 points for a 2nd shot hit. Competitors will walk and carry what ever they think they will need for the match. There will be a break for lunch. There will be no spotters. We will call out a hit or a miss that is it. The scenario is You are behind enemy lines and your spotter is dead. There are no classes .... it's run what you brung. Nothing larger than .338 and of course no armor piercing ammo. Target ranges will be given, so no range finding needed.

For directions, contact info etc. the web site is Rayner's Range There are also monthly matches on the 4th Sunday of every month if you'd like to check it out ahead of time. Overnight camping is permitted. Food and drinks will be available for purchase at the concession/registration area.

As of right now this match is filled to capacity plus a couple extras. There are always a few cancellations or non-payments, so if you want to shoot it wouldn't hurt to get on the waiting list. There are even a few shooters signed up for next year's Spring match. Obviously this is a pretty popular match and a lot of fun. You can search some of the old match threads for pictures and good videos. Good luck to everyone.

Looks like the quality of this match is no longer a secret. I need to contact them to be added to the spring 2014 match if they'll let me pre register...

Told my wife she has to have our child early since she is due on the 4th of November. I am already registered and don't want to miss this match

Announcing a match that's already filled?

Perhaps it's time for tom to reassess his registration system, if he desires new/different people coming out to his place.

Apparently it doesn't much matter if its new people or alumni....it's full...get it?

Apparently it doesn't much matter if its new people or alumni....it's full...get it?

Yes, I get it. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

ASC is always 100% capacity, too. Everybody lucky enough to attend is very thankful Rod and John rotate who gets an invitation.

Last edited:

Perhaps it's time for tom to reassess his registration system, if he desires new/different people coming out to his place.

I'm pretty sure the reason to announce a match that is already filled is pretty well summed up by the following quote...

There are always a few cancellations or non-payments, so if you want to shoot it wouldn't hurt to get on the waiting list.

I know for a fact that this very thing occurs at EVERY match. I forfeited my position in the fall 2012 match and gave it to the next in line. So, as previously stated, there is a fall 2013 match at Rayners and even though it is currently at capacity, get your name in the hat if you want to attend because they just might call you...

The Rayner's have been hosting various matches for quite a while and seem to have it pretty well figured out. Tom is also more than willing to listen to other thoughts and ideas, so feel free to send him an email or talk to him at a monthly rifle match. There are a lot of other things to consider like the R.O.s for the match, concession staff, set up, and such, so adding days to the match isn't much of an option. Don't think that Tom doesn't appreciate new faces, but one thing I don't see Tom doing is kicking people that have supported him through the years out of a match just to allow someone else in. The current system seems to work well enough for most of those involved. If someone wants to check things out there are rifle matches on the 4th Saturday and Sunday of each month from Feb. through Oct.. Even on those days there are typically 30-40 shooters each day. He also won't over-book the match to where it drags out to be a long day with a lot of down time, which isn't much fun for anyone. I'm thinking everyone on the waiting list last time around got to shoot the match, so it's probably worth trying. Where else can you shoot a big hook and ring as a target, get pulled in a wagon while shooting, or shoot through the grill of a Jeep?

My first match was Rayners back at the beginning of this year, and I went ahead and pre-registered for Fall for two reasons. First is because I had a blast, it is a great course for experienced and new shooters with loads of learning experience. Second, it was put together great and everyone had their heads on straight. If anyone was struggling they had someone to help, if anyone had questions they was more than willing to assist you in whatever you needed, and the range officers ran it by the books, no down time except inbetween shooters, as soon as the squad was done at # stage, they hurried everyone to the next.

They know what they're doing as everyone has stated.

The reason I got in the first match was because someone had to drop out, and it was spur of the moment invitation and decision for me to go. Life happens, things come up, people drop out. If they dont advertise, and then a few shooters drop and no one is standing in line, then they have a small turnout.

Cant wait for fall! New stock, so no more feed problems!

It looks like the waiting list has dwindled down to nothing. The match is still full, but if you'd like a chance to shoot this match you better call the Rayner's and get added to the wait list. I'm guessing there could be another 1 or 2 cancellations between now and then. A spot opened up last weekend, but was snatched up right away by someone at the monthly rifle match.

Also, don't forget match fees are due by Oct. 1st.

There are also some pre-registering for the spring 2014 match as well.

O.K., the waiting list has started again, so here's a reminder to get your $50 registration in by Oct. 1st. If for some reason you can't get it there on time and you want to shoot the match, please contact the Rayner's. Also, if you are not going to be able to attend and have registered for the match, please contact the Rayner's so someone on the waiting list can be given to go ahead on shooting the match.

A spot just opened up for Sunday ..... first $50 gets it. Call the Rayner's if you are interested.

Another fantastic and dynamic match with lots of new stages! It was a great coarse of fire and the rayners didn't disappoint. Thanks again for your hospitality and great match again!!!!!

This was our (Mr. and Mrs. Smith) third sniper match at Rayners and it is always something new and always very challenging. Once again they pulled off 20 different stages between the hours of 8am and 4pm with a half hour break for lunch. Some of the stages were close together but most required some hiking up and down the hills of the Rayners farm. Thanks again for putting on such a well organized and fun match to shoot.
I took a few pictures in the afternoon between stages, but there was not a lot of time to take pictures before packing up and heading to the next stage. Please share some of your own.

This was the counter sniper stage. You had to run up the stairs of the barn and go prone then find two camoed steel targets somewhere between 250 and 350 yards. You had two minutes max and were scored on hits and time. you time started at the bottom of the stairs.
photo-L.jpg

This was the view of the area where the targets were hidden.
photo-L.jpg

This is "Bubba Spotter" You have to shoot off of Bubba's shoulder at a steel target at 290 yards. what you don't see is that Bubba's torso is made out of springs!
photo-L.jpg

This is the Tower stage. I think it is a fixed time of two minutes to shoot three targets any way you want off of the tower as long as you don't touch the ground. 355,535 and 700 yards. we had about a 10 to 15 mph wind on this one!
photo-L.jpg

This is the Jeep stage. you had two minutes to shoot a steel target at 676 yards and you had to shoot it off of the roll bar. There was a gamble target next to it that was very small that you could gamble on if you got the other with a first round hit.
photo-L.jpg

This was my first time at the Rayners Sniper Challenge... Had a great time with some good guys. Can't wait till the next time!
35mpowz.jpg

Awesome match! Thanks to all the Rayners and all of the RO's who made it happen.

Thanks for another greats match, had a blast now waiting for April. Got to see some old friends and make new ones...

Did they say on sunday when and how they were going to release everyone's score cards? I know I am not close to the front but definitely wanting tobsee how I do

I can't say when, but I know at one point they have the results on their website, sometimes people post scores on here or other forums as well

My 4th sniper match at Rayner's, and as usual a well run match and great time. Always some interesting and challenging stages.

Good shooting was happening there this weekend. Saturdays conditions were rough and I still saw some great shooting.

Yes, I get it. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

ASC is always 100% capacity, too. Everybody lucky enough to attend is very thankful Rod and John rotate who gets an invitation.

kinda late, but not to late to sign up for the april 2014 match..

it fills fast, because 90% of the people in the match, sign up for the next match while at this one...