• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Razor 4000 Real world experience?

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I'm looking at the Vortex Razor 4000 for my next RF. Right now I have a Sig Kilo 2000 which is having issues with the screen burning out. Unfortunately, SIG only warranties the optics for life and the electronics for 5 years, which is now past. So I'm basically SOL with getting anything for it. Vortex at least covers electronics with the Lifetime warranty.

My uses are PRS shooting, archery hunting, checking targets at my range, coyote and deer hunting in winter when the ground is covered in snow. All my shooting is done under 1500 yards.

Will the Razor be sufficient for my use and be able to range a coyote at 1k yards? The sig was great to about 500 and then was very spotty when trying to range in the winter.

I will not consider RF binos as I already have a set of UHD binos that I don't want to sacrifice glass quality on.

Last edited:
I have the Original Vectronix Terripin, had the new version and it was junk. Anyway...got the Razor 4000 and it is extremely good.

I has three ranging modes. On the "First" mode it will range out to 1500-2500yds VERY reliably in most conditions. ...using the ELR mode...i have ranged to 3000yds plus on many occasions.....

In general it outperforms my Vectrobix Terripin....which is quite a compliment!! Especially when you look at the asking price..

@canezach has good real world experience with this unit, hopefully he'll respond here. One thing to keep in mind, this unit is a bit "old" in LRF years (kinda like dog years, but think of every earth year as 33 years in LRF so at 4 years old the unit is at end of life with regard to new technology). I've been hoping Vortex would release a whole new set of LRF units soon, but it appears they have other things to work on.

Reactions: canezach
@canezach has good real world experience with this unit, hopefully he'll respond here. One thing to keep in mind, this unit is a bit "old" in LRF years (kinda like dog years, but think of every earth year as 33 years in LRF so at 4 years old the unit is at end of life with regard to new technology). I've been hoping Vortex would release a whole new set of LRF units soon, but it appears they have other things to work on.
Thanks! I've noticed it's kind of "old" as well. Would be nice to get a new Razor level rangefinder, maybe with AB built in, but that might be a pipe dream.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I have the Razor 4k and it is very nice. Have had it since they came out and very happy with them. No issues ranging out to 2k so far. If you want the AB, look at the 5k Fury.

I have the Razor 4k and it is very nice. Have had it since they came out and very happy with them. No issues ranging out to 2k so far. If you want the AB, look at the 5k Fury.

AB isn't a huge selling point to me. Plus, I'm not considering RF binos simply because I already have great binos and don't want to sacrifice glass quality just to have a built in rangefinder. That, and in 4 years, the RF in the Fury's will be old tech and I'll want to replace them.

Reactions: Glassaholic
My brother, @Glassaholic!!! I hope you're doing well

I do have extensive experience with the Razor 4k. If all you need is a standalone LRF, it's fantastic, but if you're needing a LRF that can pair with a Kestrel, you'll need something else. I haven't ranged coyotes at 1000, but I have ranged deer at 1460+ so I'm assuming it'll be no problem. I like the unit enough that I keep one in my range bag. I've ranged steel out to 2200 and, as mentioned, deer at 1460+ (1469 if I remember correctly). I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, but like Bill said, I think I bought mine 4 years ago, so I'm sure there are newer rangefinders that might be less expensive, range further, less laser divergence, or all three

I had a 4000 for a couple years. I would say that it is a decent rangefinder for the price. I got reliable animal ranging to around 1300, and burm or steel ranging to about 2000. After that it starts getting sketchy, especially depending on conditions. Sounds like it would be a good match for your needs

Plus, I'm not considering RF binos simply because I already have great binos and don't want to sacrifice glass quality just to have a built in rangefinder. That, and in 4 years, the RF in the Fury's will be old tech and I'll want to replace them.
these are the main reasons I have been hesitant on RF Binos. I still have my Leica 2800.com and it works, have wanted to upgrade to something faster and with better display but always some downside. If Vortex came out with a UHD version of their Fury AB I’d probably be swayed but you’re right, buying good glass with tech that will be outdated in a few years is hard to consider.

Reactions: CShooter92