• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor Gen 2 vs Cronus BTR?

Jarrodb1975

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
I know this has probably been discussed before but I’ll ask again. Has anybody ran both of the scopes? What were your pros and cons of each if you did.

Thanks

After having both, I went back to the G2.

They are both almost the same scope but a few differences make big differences.

- Eyebox is much more forgiving on the G2.
- The turrets have a very distinctive click compared to the Cronus which is less pronounced. Almost ATACR like.
- The parallax is great on both but only slightly better on the G2.
- Glass is a wash. Almost the same from my eyes.

Choose the reticle you like since they both offer the floating dot with xmas tree.

Reactions: Vamike9
I have a midas tac and a new strike eagle. That’s funny because the clicks on the se suck to me and the Midas are great. Guess there all a little different.

I know this has probably been discussed before but I’ll ask again. Has anybody ran both of the scopes? What were your pros and cons of each if you did.

Thanks
I have both. Razor Gen2 is just slightly better in terms of glass, turrets and controls. It is also just better built all around.
Cons for the Razor Gen2 is that it is heavier and more expensive than Cronus BTR.

You can pick up an Athlon Cronus btr for around 1200 which is a great price and the scope has the same quality glass as the razor and weighs a bit less I would go with the Cronus

Reactions: 450shooter
How is the G2 for NRL22 stages where targets are at 25 yrds? Is the G2 minimum parallax enough to reliably connect?

Reactions: laker415
I've had both...still have a Cronus BTR. The Cronus is, IMO, impossible to beat for the price. And when I say that I mean the price you can ACTUALLY buy them for not MSRP. The turrets on the Razor were the only thing I can say I definitely preferred over the Cronus.

I've had both...still have a Cronus BTR. The Cronus is, IMO, impossible to beat for the price. And when I say that I mean the price you can ACTUALLY buy them for not MSRP. The turrets on the Razor were the only thing I can say I definitely preferred over the Cronus.

They can be found for about the same price if you shop around but usually within $100 difference.

Reactions: GhostFace and DOA
They can be found for about the same price if you shop around but usually within $100 difference.
Not even close man. I bought my last Cronus BTR new for sub $1100. I qualify for several discount programs and a Razor costs $1400ish for 3-18 and $1600ish for the 4.5-27.

Not even close man. I bought my last Cronus BTR new for sub $1100. I qualify for several discount programs and a Razor costs $1400ish for 3-18 and $1600ish for the 4.5-27.

Then you got a hell of a deal on the Cronus as I did a pretty good search and found them no where near that price. Most in the $1400-1500 range.

Then you got a hell of a deal on the Cronus as I did a pretty good search and found them no where near that price. Most in the $1400-1500 range.
I've bought three Cronus and haven't paid over $1300. I've had the same number of 4.5-27 Razors and haven't paid over $1600. I know you like the Razors, I do too. A lot actually. Don't take what I say as a knock against them. But the $300 (at minimum) difference is significant for me. That's an Atlas or a Spuhr. The better turrets aren't worth that to me.

Reactions: Brent Parker
I have a midas tac and a new strike eagle. That’s funny because the clicks on the se suck to me and the Midas are great. Guess there all a little different.
Strike Eagle turrets are going to be different to the Razor.

Reactions: Rob01
Where you buying them?
Its been a different dealer each time. Two smaller but known and the latest from a really big name. I won't get in to specifics as I'm not interested in losing my source for deals or getting anyone shut down (not implying that this is your intention).

Its been a different dealer each time. Two smaller but known and the latest from a really big name. I won't get in to specifics as I'm not interested in losing my source for deals or getting anyone shut down (not implying that this is your intention).

Was just wondering as I can find the prices you listed for the Razors online but can not find the ones for the Cronus.

Was just wondering as I can find the prices you listed for the Razors online but can not find the ones for the Cronus.
They're out there. Takes time to dig em up.

Screenshot_20200627-111541_Gmail.jpg

I have two Cronus scopes, haven't paid more than 1320 for them new, first one was less than that, most recent purchase was 6 weeks ago.

I have two Cronus scopes, haven't paid more than 1320 for them new, first one was less than that, most recent purchase was 6 weeks ago.

Can you say where it is it a secret also?

Reactions: hellzna
I have 2 g2 razors and 1 btr. Love my razors and like my btr. The BTR is on a hunting rifle. I wouldnt hesitate to buy more of either, pending on their applications.

I have two Cronus BTRs if they had locking turrets or capped windage they would be perfect. I think the turrets adjustments feel good. I bought both used here in the $1200-$1300 range.

I’ve been tempted by used Razors and better/locking turrets , but I prefer the floating crosshair on the Cronus over the EBR2-C and EBR7-C from Vortex.

Reactions: YotaEer
I was speaking new prices. Not used prices.

I was speaking new prices. Not used prices.
My first was 1k from cameralandny years ago when cabelas got the discontinued first gen models to clearance out at 1k, cameralandny called up Athlon and got me the newer btr for the same 1k flat. Unbelievable deal and cameraland is the best and really went out of their way to be the best.

Second was optics planet for 1200.

They won’t ever be “advertised” at that but if you can get a price match or at the normal 1400 something price point pair it with a coupon and they are out there for 1-1200.

Reactions: Steel head
I have two Cronus BTRs if they had locking turrets or capped windage they would be perfect. I think the turrets adjustments feel good. I bought both used here in the $1200-$1300 range.

I’ve been tempted by used Razors and better/locking turrets , but I prefer the floating crosshair on the Cronus over the EBR2-C and EBR7-C from Vortex.
I like that reticle a lot.
I paid 1400for my GEN 1 before the BTR came out.
It’s been a great scope for me.

Reactions: 408w
Really like my Cronus. Nice glass. Save some money and use it towards your next build.

New Cronus BTR UHD can be had for 1250 OTD from ExpertVoice if you qualify.

That new Cronus must be out? BTW, are your sale Cronus' the UHD models?

That new Cronus must be out? BTW, are your sale Cronus' the UHD models?
The "new" Cronus should be officially announced soon and I would assume be out sometime after SHOT Show.

The UHD was a marketing change not a scope change. You'll notice the part #'s of the scopes never changed on anything that started being called UHD, just the name on their web site. UHD stands for Ultra High Definition. They always were Ultra High Definition optics, but weren't referred to as UHD. Just a marketing change not a physical change.

The scopes we have are from Athlons latest delivery

Reactions: army_eod