• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Razor Gen II 4.5-27 Problems

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I mounted up my Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 on my R700 300 WinMag. After 3 or 4 shots the scope gets fuzzy, especially the bottom half of what is seen in the scope. It gets sharp again after a minute or two. Not shooting craze fast, around a shot per minute. The rifle is suppressed, but even after 10 shots the barrel and suppressor is very cool.

My son said the same was happening to him. Could both of us be imagining this? Have never had this happen with any other scope.

Download the form off vortex site, fill it out, and mail the scope to them. You’ll have it back in a week.

I mounted up my Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 on my R700 300 WinMag. After 3 or 4 shots the scope gets fuzzy, especially the bottom half of what is seen in the scope. It gets sharp again after a minute or two. Not shooting craze fast, around a shot per minute. The rifle is suppressed, but even after 10 shots the barrel and suppressor is very cool.

My son said the same was happening to him. Could both of us be imagining this? Have never had this happen with any other scope.
Do you have a suppressor cover? What you're describing is mirage caused by heat off the barrel/suppressor.

Do you have a suppressor cover? What you're describing is mirage caused by heat off the barrel/suppressor.
No I do not and am honestly wondering if this is what is happening. The reason I have doubt is because arter 10 shots the suppressor & barrel were very cool. I could easily tightly grip the suppressor w/ my bare hand and am guessing that it was not even at 100F.

I will try shooting w/o the suppressor to see. I know that Vortex has great customer service, but no point sending in a scope for a non-scope issue.

You can get mirage just off the barrel also and not even the suppressor. A 300WM has a lot of powder burning and heats up the barrel and in colder temps it will show up quickly especially with the scope on higher powers.

No I do not and am honestly wondering if this is what is happening. The reason I have doubt is because arter 10 shots the suppressor & barrel were very cool. I could easily tightly grip the suppressor w/ my bare hand and am guessing that it was not even at 100F.

I will try shooting w/o the suppressor to see. I know that Vortex has great customer service, but no point sending in a scope for a non-scope issue.
This is very common. You can literally feel like you're able to hug your suppressor safely. I can guarantee that this problem will go away if you cover your suppressor.

Here is the experiment:
Shoot the same.
Now place a thick cotton towel over your barrel and suppressor.
You will likely not see what you're seeing.

This is exacerbated even more if there is a huge temperature difference between the ambient air and your rifle. (I shoot in cold weather regularly, and if I leave anything uncovered, the mirage can be exacerbated)

Yeah a suppressor cover is definitely a must have but even with it you can still get mirage off the barrel. 10 shots of 300WM will get the can and barrel pretty warm. Do the test above and I bet your issue goes away.

I agree it’s mirage. Suppressor cover will fix that. Enough rounds and you’ll notice it again even off the barrel. Mirage covers also help. These are used in fclass to disperse heat around the view of the optic

If your curious if that’s it try introducing air movement when you notice the fuzziness. If that’s possible where your shooting. Or have someone place something flat between the barrel/can and line of sight.

If your shooting when it’s windy you notice it less as the heat is being moved out of the optic line of sight

You can get mirage just off the barrel also and not even the suppressor. A 300WM has a lot of powder burning and heats up the barrel and in colder temps it will show up quickly especially with the scope on higher powers.
It was a cold, damp day (40F & raining). Just surprised that this could happen after only a couple of shots.

Throw a jacket or something over the barrel and suppressor.

You’ll know pretty quick if mirage is the culprit.

Reactions: GhostFace
If you’re dealing with mirage off of a win mag barrel, go ahead and get another barrel ordered. That one isn’t going to last long.

Having the same issue with a friends 4.5-27. It’s the moa. Sent it back to vortex and they didn’t find anything wrong but they didn’t mount it and shoot with it. Said it was probably mirage we were witnessing but we stuck 2 other scopes on the rifle without the issue, one being my 4.5-27 but mil. They said also it could be the focus not adjusted correctly. In the end they basically told him they would swap for a new scope if it came down to it and I haven’t had a chance to mess with it since we got it back but never had any issues like this with any other scope

Having the same issue with a friends 4.5-27. It’s the moa. Sent it back to vortex and they didn’t find anything wrong. We stuck 2 other scopes on the rifle without the issue one being my 4.5-27 but mil.
Well there you go it’s an MOA issue!

The amount of rounds fired, temperature and air movement will play a big factor in this mirage

I’m as anti vortex as anyone you’ll find. My 66% fail rate would attribute to that

But I don’t think that’s the issue here

Shooting 5-10 rounds on a calm day can produce mirage. The same number of rounds on a day with 10 mph crosswinds will leave the same issue unnoticeable

Not saying it can’t be the scope. But likely isn’t in this case

If during the shooting process with a bit of wind the fuzziness appears to come and go the mirage will be the issue. If this issue stays especially after shooting or not shooting at all then I’d look into the scope as the problem