• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor Gen III 1-10 illumination lights entire reticle (with artifacts) - owners please chime in

clsx

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2021
Brevard County, FL
Just bought my first magnified optic, the Razor Gen III 1-10. Pure joy. Pulled it out of the box and immediately began exploring its features.

I noticed that the entire reticle lights up, and I recalled that in every YouTube review I've seen of it, only the segmented circle and center dot light up. Additionally, there are pinpricks of illumination over (1) the "6" numerals on the horizontal stadia; (2) the "6" numerals in the mil-dot field of the lower half of the reticle; and (3) a stray pinprick of illumination to the left of the ranging feature.

Is this the same kind of phenomenon that occurs when you crank an Aimpoint up so high that it starts illuminating the inside of the tube? I am new to magnified optics so I really don't know what's what.

Horrible picture, but depicts what I'm seeing:

IMG_0331.jpg

I have the 1-6 razor and yeah when your in the house and the light is cranked up it lights it all up. Outside when you put the proper setting with the light conditions only the dot is lit.

I called Vortex about it when I first got it and they said all is well, that's what it's supposed to do

Reactions: clsx
Glad to hear, thanks. Like I said, totally unfamiliar with the properties of etched reticles and all that. It's definitely less noticeable against highly lit surfaces - although I can still crank the illumination up enough to make it happen. Which I definitely would consider a testament to the power of the illumination tech rather than a demerit against the scope.

Do I get some kind of "DLO Commented in my Thread Club" membership card now? You definitely helped nudge my wallet toward the Razor 1-10. I appreciate the Recommendations section of your site, and your videos as well.