• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor Gen3 6-36x56 on a AR15

Capri_Man

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2018
Washington
I ordered up a Gen3 6-36x56 razor to use on my AR15. Based on the reading I've done, and the experimentation with the scope calculator I'm going to need a cantilever mount thats 1.5" high with 20moa built in. I suppose the easy button would be the vortex Scope Base. But I am also looking at; Arken mount, Seekins (its to short I think), and Warne. I really don't want QD or the big exposed nuts. One of the things I like about the Arken mount is the base clamp runs the full lenght of the mount not just 2 or 3 little clamping claws. But I'm not sure if it makes a difference? Another thing I am concerned about is will they even fit around the turret core of the optic and have room to adjust it?

Attachments

• mega 6arc.jpg
    mega 6arc.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 71
$2,000+ AR15
$3,000 scope
$60 chinese Arken or Warne mount to hold the $3,000 scope onto the $2,000 AR15... 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

If you can afford that rifle and that scope, you can afford something better than Arken or Warne... Don't skimp on the mount...That's what holds everything together and keeps your zero. That is not the place to go skimping on a precision, competition, or long range build. In the grand scheme of things, $300-400 for a really nice 1-piece mount is chump-change compared to the rest of the build.

Have you looked at the ARC M-Brace 34mm 1-piece mount? It's solid. I use their rings and am extremely happy with them.

$2,000+ AR15
$3,000 scope
$60 chinese Arken or Warne mount to hold the $3,000 scope onto the $2,000 AR15... 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

If you can afford that rifle and that scope, you can afford something better than Arken or Warne... Don't skimp on the mount...That's what holds everything together and keeps your zero. That is not the place to go skimping on a precision, competition, or long range build. In the grand scheme of things, $300-400 for a really nice 1-piece mount is chump-change compared to the rest of the build.

Have you looked at the ARC M-Brace 34mm 1-piece mount? It's solid. I use their rings and am extremely happy with them.

Not afraid to spend the money but I haven't found what I was looking for with the expensive brands. The unit you suggested is nice, but based on my ruff math it would need to position so far foward it would span the gap between the receiver rail and the handguard. I thought that was a no-no?

Forward mount optics will place your optic farther away and will then manipulate your cheek weld/rest etc. What are your shooting requirements? Prone, bench, walk and talk?

This will probably be shot 80% of the time from a bench, the other 20% maybe from a prone position. Below are pictures of my standard 16" AR with a LPVO on it set about where I like it. Which matchs up with the prs lite stock nicely. So for reference if I get behind the prs stock, my eyeball is inline with the front edge of the cheek riser.
20240325_162050.jpg

The eye relief on that scope is listed as 3.5"- 3.35". The razor is listed as 3.5" but I'm sure that for the low end only. So for the sake of argument if I place the the back of the razors eye piece inline with the lpvo represented by 15" mark on the tape measure the razor extends foward from that point. The eye piece is 3.5" long which brings me to 11.5" is where I can place the back most part of vertical ring. The front most vertical ring could placed at the 5.5" mark max which is over the handguard.

20240325_162431.jpg

With a 34mm tube scope you really can just use a 0 MOA mount or rings if you have them. Unless you are trying to
shoot at very long ranges a 0 moa setup will get you out to 800 yards.

Reactions: 3blackdogs
$2,000+ AR15
$3,000 scope

Do U typically recommend a single piece mount for most of your long range firearms/mounts, or two piece precision rings do just as good? Or is this more for the AR platform? I’ve been out doing other hobbies for a bit, so many changes and advancements in equipment.

Just buy a NF ultramount 1.54 height. 20 MOA. It's slim and durable as fuck. The 2 bolts don't stick out the side enough to worry.
20240326_163803.jpg

I feel like my scope will break before that mount does. It's a fine machined tool/piece and well built. I think it's the way haha.

20240326_163858.jpg
20240326_164247.jpg
20240326_164634.jpg

It normally doesn't wear weights. Just trying something out for prs gas gun.

Also the 1/2 bolts in my experience. You tighten them to spec, shoot, tighten them to spec and mark them. I'd bet a $ they won't move again. Haven't had a snag on them that killed me in the streets yet. (I don't play in the streets)

Do U typically recommend a single piece mount for most of your long range firearms/mounts, or two piece precision rings do just as good? Or is this more for the AR platform? I’ve been out doing other hobbies for a bit, so many changes and advancements in equipment.
For bolt-actions I typically recommend 2 piece rings. But some folks like 1-piece mounts. For AR's it's much easier to recommend a 1-piece mount, because that mount typically puts the scope in the right spot (in height) due to the straight pull BCG/buffer tube design of the stock, which sits your cheek weld up higher than most bolt guns that have a dropped comb. This is why most bolt-actions you can run Low height rings (+/- 0.92") and most standard-height 1-piece AR mounts are around 1.50" or 1.54" in height to the centerline.

Reactions: 1AvgMarksman
Just curious… but why on earth would you need a 20-MOA mount on an AR? Isn’t there more than sufficient elevation to work with any round an AR can take???

Reactions: 1911hombre
Just curious… but why on earth would you need a 20-MOA mount on an AR? Isn’t there more than sufficient elevation to work with any round an AR can take???
I'm running one of those 20MOA Arken mounts on my 6.5 Grendel DMR. I have TONS of elevation adjustment now. Works great.

As for the sufficient elevation, no, typically you will not be able to zero most scopes on an AR without 20MOA or more of added cant, due to the extreme height distance from scope center to bore centerline. You will typically run out of vertical adjustment trying to zero at 100. I've experienced this on several of mine while playing with different mounts and scopes.

Reactions: TheHorta

I was shooting 6 GT in a standard AR15 last week…..

Could be useful there if one was shooting a ways.

I skimmed. Did not see his caliber

I was shooting 6 GT in a standard AR15 last week…..

Could be useful there if one was shooting a ways.

I skimmed. Did not see his caliber

It's a 6mm ARC with the goal of seeing just how far I can stretch it. TheHorta the general idea is that for any given scope you only have so much adjustment. The case of the razor it's 18mils from the center in either direction for a total of 36. But as you get close to extreme edge of the range the optical quality begins to degrade. To combat this you use a mount with some elevation built in, thus allowing you to zero the scope higher in the overall range. This will put you in a better optical range of the scope when you dial for long range shots. My real world experience with this happens when I try to shoot my 22lr to 200yrds. To do it my scope is maxed out and I'm holding the last hash mark above the target to get hits. I should have had a canted base but I didn't know any different at the time. So the correct answer is: it depends on the cartridge, the particular drop of the given load, and the available adjustment of your scope for the intended distance. As whatsupdoc pointed out, and I spent some time running the math, if I'm not shooting to 1000yrds and beyond I don't actually need the 20moa scope.

Last edited:
Just buy a NF ultramount 1.54 height. 20 MOA. It's slim and durable as fuck. The 2 bolts don't stick out the side enough to worry.
View attachment 8382154
I feel like my scope will break before that mount does. It's a fine machined tool/piece and well built. I think it's the way haha.

View attachment 8382155View attachment 8382156View attachment 8382157
It normally doesn't wear weights. Just trying something out for prs gas gun.
That’s the mount I fun on my LMT 6.5 with the 6-36 Razor on top. It provides enough forward mount for the scope.

I'm running one of those 20MOA Arken mounts on my 6.5 Grendel DMR. I have TONS of elevation adjustment now. Works great.

As for the sufficient elevation, no, typically you will not be able to zero most scopes on an AR without 20MOA or more of added cant, due to the extreme height distance from scope center to bore centerline. You will typically run out of vertical adjustment trying to zero at 100. I've experienced this on several of mine while playing with different mounts and scopes.
1711499729069.gif

Well, I'm glad you posted this, now the whole forum knows you are a smartass moron who knows nothing about AR15's. 👍🏼

You've obviously never tried to mount a 1" tube scope or an older 30mm tube scope on an AR15. They don't have the internal travel that most modern scopes do. You might get it to zero it at 100, but won't be able to dial very far. Most modern scopes and tactical scopes have a larger travel adjustability which helps account for this issue. Old standard hunting scopes with capped turrets don't have much travel, so this can be an issue when trying to use one of them on an AR with zero MOA of added cant.

Last edited:
For bolt-actions I typically recommend 2 piece rings. But some folks like 1-piece mounts. For AR's it's much easier to recommend a 1-piece mount, because that mount typically puts the scope in the right spot (in height) due to the straight pull BCG/buffer tube design of the stock, which sits your cheek weld up higher than most bolt guns that have a dropped comb. This is why most bolt-actions you can run Low height rings (+/- 0.92") and most standard-height 1-piece AR mounts are around 1.50" or 1.54" in height to the centerline.
Thank you.. Appreciate the info. 👍

Reactions: FuhQ