• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27 vs ATACR 5-25 F1

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Looking to finally upgrade my old NXS 5.5-22X56 to one of these but can't actually look them over in person. Anyone have real world knowledge for comparison?
    Mostly interested in Actual elevation travel (have a 40 moa base) and optical clarity. The warranty for both appear to be about the same but never actually had to use it on my NXS.
    Is the Razor actually the ATACR's equal in performance for ELR? Will be going on my 300WM.
    Thanks for any insight you can provide me before I make the purchase.

Reactions: rta108
    Glass is a wash, i like the contrast better on the ATACR. I think the FOV is larger on the Razor, reticle goes to the razor to me, turrets are a wash. weight sucks on both but the NF is lighter. Can't go wrong with either but the NF is going to cost more any way you look at it.

I have a Razor and have shot with the NF, Both are great scopes pick the one with reticle that you like and don’t look back

I have had both and currently have the ATACR. Optically, I'd say too close to tell a difference with my eyes. Everyone sees things different but they are both very good. Elevation wise, I have a 20 moa base in my 260 and have a little over 60 left on the ATACR and the genII was closer to 70.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering about the travel in the Gen2. Different websites had different numbers. I do like the reticle in the Gen2 also.
    How about tracking? Anyone had to use their warranty? If so how did it go?

Both of mine tracked perfectly. I never have used Nightforce warranty but did send my amg into vortex to get fixed and it was quick and painless.

I've owned both and kept the Gen 2. Like the reticle better and zeroing was less painful (NF wasn't bad though).

Well I pulled the trigger on a new Vortex Gen2 & rings a moment ago. Saved $100 on it too with no tax & free shipping. The decision was actually pretty easy. Cheaper than the ATACR better reticle & the illumination control is way easier to use.
    I almost made the jump to mil too but finally found a moa in stock. As long as it performs as advertised I'll be very happy with it.
    Thanks for your input.

My buddy has an ATACR and when we look through it, its as if we are looking through tinted windows. None of mine, or his other NF scopes are like this. Just the ATACR he has. I also have a Razor Gen2 and the glass is very clear and the image is very bright.

I think both scopes are equal in clarity, but the NF just seems to have (Tinted windows) lolol. Or maybe he might have gotten an oddball that slipped through?

My buddy has an ATACR and when we look through it, its as if we are looking through tinted windows. None of mine, or his other NF scopes are like this. Just the ATACR he has. I also have a Razor Gen2 and the glass is very clear and the image is very bright.

I think both scopes are equal in clarity, but the NF just seems to have (Tinted windows) lolol. Or maybe he might have gotten an oddball that slipped through?
    My amg was like that!! Everyone told me theirs was a clear as the gen2/ATACR. Mine was grey when turned up and kind of hazy. I bitched about it for about a year and finally sent it in to vortex when I had another problem. When it can back, it was definitely more clear in the higher powers.

I love my ATACR 5-25 F1. For what it is worth, last year I was shooting at dusk and at about 8:40 PM with almost no sunlight left, I consistently hit a steel plate at 200 yards with no night vision. It was the first time I ever shot at night and I had to say I was impressed. I love the scope. Built to last. I use it for competitions and have banged into more barricades and obstacles than I am comfortable with. No problems.

My new Gen2 arrived a day early & I got it mounted & torqued last night. I must say that this thing is a tank! The eye relief is huge. I had to move the rear ring forward 2 notches to get it far enough away to see through it. Tonight I'll finish it up & be ready to zero on Sat.

This is the same situation I’m in. I’ve got an nxs npr1 5.5-22x56 that I love on my custom 6.5 but I’m finally to a point where I’d like to upgrade to a FFP and either move the nxs to my “trainer” CZ 527 .223, or trade it in for a shv or pst 2 for that gun. I’ve looked through both the razor gen 2 and ATACR F1 and can’t tell a difference in glass, the nf is lighter but not by much. I like the reticle, turret locks and price of the razor, but I know NF is built well and it really is becoming a hard decision.

Are you still pleased/happy with choosing the razor?

Yes now that I got the diopter adjusted properly for my eyes. Took a few sessions @ elr range under the right conditions but now its gtg. I think the glass is equal to the nxs but the reticle is what sold it for me. I love the tiny space in the center of the crosshairs.

I've owned both. Sold both my razors and bought the atacr f1 5-25 and 7-35.
    Both are great scopes and for the price difference you cant go wrong with the razor. My shooting partner just picked one up today for 1700 w/rings.
    Imo glass is better on NF, turrets are a wash but NF is 12 mil per rev, reticle is a wash pick your preference.

My only complaint with my Vortex razor HD Gen II 4.5-27 x 56 is that it only parallax down to 35 yards. My NF ATACR 7-35 will parallax down to about 15 yards or closer. I do a lot of .22 shooting and I like scopes that parallax close at high magnification. My razor is on one of my 6.5 creedmoor’s and it’s great for that. I love that scope!

Alot of people shoot the Razor. I have shot the 1-6x and the 4-27x. They are great scopes. Nightforce is a better built scope. I have seen a number of the Vortex scopes fail. Outright break. I have not see that with Nightforce. Resell value is hands down better with NF. I sell both, and Vortex has a very generous military discount, and it shows when the military buyer sells. NF retains its value better. I do agree that you have to love the reticle, but both have good reticles, but reticles get personal.

I bought a razor off the classifieds section yesterday to try so ill see how I like it on my bolt gun. my parts for my larue 6.5 cm ar build should be in by the end of the year and I'm planning on getting an atacr 4-16 or k318i for it. I can look at scopes all day long in a gun shop and never make up my mind, but the ebr2c reticle and skmr3 are my favorites right now