• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor HD w/EBR-2B Reticle

sandwalk3r

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
Kentucky
I'm in the process of hopefully shedding the size of the collection and vastly upping the quality. Other than what route I'm going to go for a rifle, I'm thinking about glass.

I really like the concept of the Horus H58 reticle, but $4K is an awful lot of cheese.

My question for the glass snobs is if they think that the Vortex Razor HD glass at $2K is really enough to hold its own in the NightForce and USO range?

I currently run a Vortex Viper 4-16x first focal, and I like its features, though the glass is crap.

The EBR-2B Reticle ( link to manual ) looks like a poor man's Horus, and I'm all about that.

It's possible for me to pick up a S&B, but the question is if it's really something that is an absolute must. Whaddya think?

(and not getting S&B makes it more possible to pick up the TNVC clip-on ... !)

Re: Razor HD w/EBR-2B Reticle

Love mine. But it's a 2, not a 2B. Never been a fan of thick reticles.

get the nightforce 3.5x15 F1 with the H58 Reticle. its about 2700.00

I wouldn't give up my razors for the current nightforce offering or any USO. I like both of those company's as well I just feel the razor has better features at it's respected price point. The only scope I would trade up for would be a s&b with the msr reticle

Love that reticle but for the life of me i don't understand why they felt they needed 3 mil units in each quadrant divided into .2 mil. All it does is contribute to cluttering.

my buddy shoots a nxs, my other has a S&B... the guy with the nxs says my razors glass is clearer and brighter...
in the day time, non of us could see that the S&B was 2k clearer either...

for the cash, and if u can get it used, 1600 to 1700, its GREAT

I have this very scope..thinking about selling it though..would rather have a MOA than my current Mrad.. as far as the the optics go..Amazing for the price! YOu def will not be dissappointed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toe42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this very scope..thinking about selling it though..would rather have a MOA than my current Mrad.. as far as the the optics go..Amazing for the price! YOu def will not be dissappointed </div></div>

Can I ask why? Not to argue, just out of curiosity

I own a Mark 8, a nightforce and almost bought a razor before deciding to go with a Mark 6. I still may go with a razor on a 6.5L build that is in the works. The glass on a razor is excellent.

That very scope should be on my doorstep today. Very excited

Over the past year and a half I have tried just about every major brand of scope to see what I though was the best so I could give my customers honest and first hand feedback. For a FFP scope I suggest a S&B with whatever reticle suits their needs best, if thats out of their price range then a Razor. For a SFP scope NIghtforce is the way to go. As far as deciding what is best for you, first you need to decide what it's going to be used for. If you are just taking it to the range occasionally, shooting paper and then putting it back in the safe there is no reason to spend $3500 on a scope. If you are shooting matches, going on expensive hunts, or cranking on the knobs on a regular basis then you want absolute reliability and repeatability given in the higher end scopes. Hope this helps.

The Razor is a great scope and is certainly an excellent value for the price.

In addition to all of the technical features of the scope itself, I believe a suitable reticle will make or brake any FFP offering. I think the EBR-2B is one of, if not the best FFP reticle out there.

The main stadia are thick enough to still see and use at lower X settings yet not too heavy to use on the upper end with most steel targets.

At first, I was worried about using it for small, precision paper drills. Getting used to the reticle really solved that in short order. For one thing, the center portion of the reticle is open for precision holds. I also found that for very small targets and trying to shoot precision groups, I could dial 1 mil right and 1 mil down then use the first full Mil Dot on the lower right part of the Christmas Tree as the aiming point.

This brings up another important point..... The turret adjustments are exactly spot on with the calibration of the reticle. I can get perfect repeatability when dialing back and forth between the center cross hair holds and using that small dot.

Around the first of this year, I was able to shoot with Dustin Morris and check my dope out to 1K prior to a comp. After confirming my dope, I then ran the targets out to 1K again but using pure holds with the same dope I had dialed earlier. Everything was 100% spot on again. This was very good for confidence.

I also found that this reticle can be used to very accurately range targets by using the small dots in the Christmas Tree. They are on 0.2 spacings and small enough to precisely mill a target horizontally. When milling a target vertically, the upper quadrant mill scale is useful but in my opinion, not as precise as using the dots on the horizontal plane.

I do not find that the fine scales in the outer quadrants "clutter" anything at all. Once used to the reticle, you are pretty much ignoring that area unless using it to mil with. You will almost never be using that area for target holds or leads.

I think that an F1 with any reticle will leave you wanting more X if you shoot much competition or recreational group shooting. The F1 is one of the best work scopes out there but NF still has a huge, gaping hole in their lineup (no FFP with max X in the 20-25X range.)

Additional check markes in its favor: Very good resale value and excellent customer service/tech support if you ever need it.

Dang! This thread got better all the sudden.

Thanks for that TC.

I take it you are leaving a mil+ in there on your zero stop.

Terry, how do you set up your zero and zero stop on the razor to be able to dial down one mil.? Assuming you are at 100 yds and wanting to use the dot to aim with.

i have three razors and will be adding another 3-4 shortly. absolutely awesome scopes. i basically mimic terry's response. great scope for the money and the EBR-2B is my favorite reticle out there at the moment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have three razors and will be adding another 3-4 shortly. absolutely awesome scopes. i basically mimic terry's response. great scope for the money and the EBR-2B is my favorite reticle out there at the moment </div></div>

have you ever compared them to the HDMR? I really like the 2b reticle they offer, but the HDMR w/ the G2 reticle is at a bit better price point.

it is but i cannot stand the turrets, and they are not illuminated reticle. not that is matters in most situation. I like the razor. If bushnell would release a diferent turret which i am pretty sure they are that scope will be a winner IMO.

I also have a F1, 2x 3-20's and a 5-25 S&B. the razor is a really good scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is but i cannot stand the turrets, and they are not illuminated reticle. not that is matters in most situation. I like the razor. If bushnell would release a diferent turret which i am pretty sure they are that scope will be a winner IMO.

I also have a F1, 2x 3-20's and a 5-25 S&B. the razor is a really good scope. </div></div>

what do you not like about them? and how does the glass compare?

glass is very good. the spongy feel of the "locking" is not my thing. i'm not a big locking turret guy in any fashion but theirs is the worst i have seen. not a big fan of the leupy either (locking mechanism).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glass is very good. the spongy feel of the "locking" is not my thing. i'm not a big locking turret guy in any fashion but theirs is the worst i have seen. not a big fan of the leupy either (locking mechanism). </div></div>

interesting, i wonder if it was just that scope. the others that i have felt are pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, how do you set up your zero and zero stop on the razor to be able to dial down one mil.? Assuming you are at 100 yds and wanting to use the dot to aim with. </div></div>

Not Terry but I'll answer for you.

When you've confirmed your zero before you tighten the lock screws just dial one mil down from what you read on the elevation turret.
Tighten up the lock screws and either set your outer cap at one mil down or dial the inner turret back to your previous zero and install the outer cap at the zero mark and tighten.

Both ways get you to the same place.

do the Razors come with rings? I have a second window open on my screen with two in "my basket"...about to pull the trigger on the 2B. I thought I'd never cheat on my SSHD's!!! Oh, what the hell, I still love those SSHD's too.

They do not come with rings. They do come with Tenebrex ARD, flip caps, sun screen and bubble level however.

perfect, thanks phreak. I ordered them, now the wait begins!

Do any of you razor owners shoot 1760 to 2400yds on occasion?

I really like the razor but not having ever been behind one I still have reservations about buying one. My main concern is the glass, i want to be able to run it at full power in the summer and still be able to make out the steel, not just a big blur like my current scope.

Im in between the razor and us optic 5-25 tpal

A razor is good stuff! I have the older EBR 2 and wish they would combine the two reticles into one.

I agree with everything that Terry said... except the 1 down, 1 over. It was a decent compromise for a thick reticle, but I definitely shoot precision much better with a standard thin reticle than an aiming dot. It depends on your shooting. If you shoot matches and steel and only occasionally need precision placement, I cannot think of a better scope or reticle than the Razor EBR-2B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvgolfer962</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you razor owners shoot 1760 to 2400yds on occasion?

I really like the razor but not having ever been behind one I still have reservations about buying one. My main concern is the glass, i want to be able to run it at full power in the summer and still be able to make out the steel, not just a big blur like my current scope.

Im in between the razor and us optic 5-25 tpal </div></div>

I've done a bit of ELR shooting with mine. It was sufficient in elevation and glass to clearly spot targets and shot placement at nearly 2300 yds. You'd be hard pressed to do better for the money.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvgolfer962</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you razor owners shoot 1760 to 2400yds on occasion?

Im in between the razor and us optic 5-25 tpal </div></div>

the blurry hill on the right is 1760y.. i hit a 12x12" plate on that hill with this 260

This thread has gone very well. I'm getting antsy over this optic. I could be convinced to buy an S&B, but just not seeing why when this domes so much for so much less.

Thanks for the solid responses. Glad to know I wasn't smoking crack thinking these were awesome. I don't know that glass snobs would approve, but it looks like a solid buy for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, how do you set up your zero and zero stop on the razor to be able to dial down one mil.? Assuming you are at 100 yds and wanting to use the dot to aim with. </div></div>
Yes, just like AtOne said. I just use a conventional zero for the crosshair intersection and then leave about 1.2-1.3 of travel before the zero stop bottoms out. The ZS can still do its job (keeping me from getting a rev off) and I can easily dial to the dot for precision paper shots etc.

BTW, if you have any precision/small targets at ANY distance where you think the main reticle is too obstructive, this still works. Just adjust your dope for that shot 1mil down and 1mil right. Works across the board because the reticle is matched to the turrets and it's all in FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has gone very well. I'm getting antsy over this optic. I could be convinced to buy an S&B, but just not seeing why when this domes so much for so much less.

Thanks for the solid responses. Glad to know I wasn't smoking crack thinking these were awesome. I don't know that glass snobs would approve, but it looks like a solid buy for the money. </div></div>

The Razor is not meant to compete against a Schmidt and shouldn't be. S&B glass and focus range are definitely ahead of the Razor (and almost everything else out there except the Hennies). For about half the price of the S&B, you get a very solid scope with very good glass and tons of features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do the Razors come with rings? I have a second window open on my screen with two in "my basket"... </div></div>
I thought they did but I am obviously mistaken. I do know that Seekins makes rings for Vortex including several heights of 35mm (that is what the Razor takes) and they are the schnitz. I have shot the Razor (heavy scope that really, really wants to sit still when the rest of the rifle recoils) on .300Win Mags and .338LM with no slippage of the Seekins rings.

I have been running the Razor HD EBR-2b in comps for the past 2yrs. Finally worked my way up to getting a 2nd new 10mil turret model, I went with the same EBR-2B. I can't offer anything that wasn't wasn't mentioned By Terry and the rest of the guys.

My setup is very similar to Terry's. Setting the zero stop around 1.5 mils below zero setting. I have only had minor issues with the Razor such as the Illum. stopped working. Vortex Costumer service is fantastic with repair turn around time being only a week. The scopes have tracked perfect and ultimate function has been great for me.

I have used ARC rings and now also have a set of the Seekins rings. Never had an issue with either on my 260 rifles. I like the built in recoil lug of the Seekins rings.