• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor HD with new eyepiece!!!

sjbryan308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Oxford, NC
Just wanted to say that for anyone debating whether or not to get their Razor updated with the new eyepiece I would highly recommend. I just got mine back a few days ago and can really tell a difference.

-much better apparent field of view
-much nicer eyebox

I really think it does away with all of the complaints about this scope.

Oh and the customer service was great I contacted them and gave them my phone number for a waiting list and a couple of weeks later my phone rang and they told me to go ahead and send it in. Only ten days later my scope was back sitting on my door step with new eypiece, inspected, cleaned, and repurged free of charge.

Re: Razor HD with new eyepiece!!!

Sent mine last week, it arrived at Vortex on Tuesday of this week. They have already completed the ocular upgrade and said it will be shipped back today. Great service, can't wait to check it out.

Can we get some pictures of the upgrade? How much easier is it to stay behind the scope without loosing sight picture? I have heard that the eye box was not very forgiving. Also how much was the upgrade?

The upgrade is completely free. Also it looks practically the same, the only difference is the ocular adjustment ring, the knurled part is a little wider. It definitely made the eyebox better, I dont think anybody would complain about the eyebox anymore. Im pretty sure all the new scopes have this in it already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjbryan308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The upgrade is completely free. Also it looks practically the same, the only difference is the ocular adjustment ring, the knurled part is a little wider. It definitely made the eyebox better, I dont think anybody would complain about the eyebox anymore. Im pretty sure all the new scopes have this in it already. </div></div>

Thats great! Thats why I like Vortex so much, they take great care of their customers. Also the reason I asked is because im considering buy one used.

Yea its not a problem at all to get it upgraded so if you find a good deal on a used one I would jump on it, and really the old one is great like it is but this just makes it even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjbryan308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im pretty sure all the new scopes have this in it already. </div></div>

IIRC, Scott said that all the new EBR2B scopes had them. Not sure if the others do yet. Might shoot him a PM to be sure.

John

Here's a copy of an email from Mike @ CSTactical about the 5-20x50 Razor HD EBR-2 (typo in the email). But as always, contact your dealer and see if they do have a shipment with the new eye pieces.

"Hi XXXXX,
I have been out of the office for a few days so I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I did some looking into and it looks like we did not get your order into the system because they were coming out with the new eye pieces. The 5-25x50mm EBR2 will start shipping next week with the new eye piece. I hope this will work out for you.

Mike Cecil
www.CSTACTICAL.com
916.670.1103"

I really think people complaining about the tight eyebox before were either just looking for something to complain about, or didnt have the scope mounted correctly. I had no issues whatsoever finding the eyebox on mine, you just have to have the correct eye relief.

That being said, I did send mine in just to have the free upgrade, I mean really why not. Also I thought that the illumination drain issue was fixed with this upgrade?

Jon,

I think it depends on what you're used to, and what you expect... I've had several scopes in the past that were very easy to get behind. The minute I dialed my Razor to 20X, I knew we were going to have a love hate relationship. The good news for me was that parallax could not physically be an issue, because there was one and only one very narrow position where I could get a sight picture... and I've had two different Razors, both the same in this regard. This also made it difficult to spot shots at closer ranges if I was at 20X. I'd loose the sight picture almost instantaneously under recoil (300WM).

You and I are not the only users of these. They have many professionals giving them feedback also. Early on when I spoke to Sam about it, he was very aware that it was an issue. It obviously was a big enough concern for Vortex to redesign it.

You should be grateful that these things don't bother you as much as some. Now, where are my OCD meds...

John

Good point, I guess I liked the fact that there is only one position you can get a perfect sight picture, then like you said, parallax is not an issue. But I also am fortunate enough to have perfect vision so Im sure that helps my case out a bit.

It does speak volumes for Vortex that they are not only willing to fix an issue like this, but offer the upgrade free of charge for all owners.

Vortex is really an impressive company. Not only are they listening to the users Nd addressing the issues they bring to light, they are retroing free of charge.

Good job guys. Impressive.

How do you know what eyepiece you have? Is there an easy way to tell? Do all EBR-2B scopes have them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It shouldn't be too long. All of the scopes that have the EBR-2B reticle are already done with the new eye piece.

We will keep you guys updated and let you know when we are ready for people to start sending their scopes in.

Scott </div></div>

Does anyone know if this upgrade is also available for the Vipers? My shooting buddy has a 6.5-20x44 and its got a pretty small eye box above 16x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if this upgrade is also available for the Vipers? My shooting buddy has a 6.5-20x44 and its got a pretty small eye box above 16x </div></div>

Only for the Razor HD 5-20x50

I did not know Vortex was in the process of retrofitting these...I'd like to hear from you guys that had the older models how much improvement you see with the new ocular housing.

Scott

Tag for a future update. Scott, I have 1 old occular and now (according to the tracking numbers) 1 new occular. I'll try to answer my first impressions in the next couple days.

you need to call vortex customer service tell them you want the new razor eyepiece and they will schedule a time for you to mail your scope in to them for the process

very simple to do

great service, mine is going in in 2 weeks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if this upgrade is also available for the Vipers? My shooting buddy has a 6.5-20x44 and its got a pretty small eye box above 16x </div></div>

I did not know Vortex was in the process of retrofitting these...I'd like to hear from you guys that had the older models how much improvement you see with the new ocular housing.

Scott
</div></div>

Scott do the Razors you have in stock have the upgraded Ocular housing? Specifically one with the EBR-2 reticle? Will be interested in picking one up very soon. Pretty sure I will be trying out a Razor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if this upgrade is also available for the Vipers? My shooting buddy has a 6.5-20x44 and its got a pretty small eye box above 16x </div></div>

Scott
</div></div>

Scott do the Razors you have in stock have the upgraded Ocular housing? Specifically one with the EBR-2 reticle? Will be interested in picking one up very soon. Pretty sure I will be trying out a Razor. </div></div>

To my knowledge only the EBR-2Bravo reticle has the new ocular...for the time being

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

To my knowledge only the EBR-2Bravo reticle has the new ocular...for the time being

Scott
</div></div>

I have an EBR-1 that arrived last night with the new ocular on it. To my knowledge it's the first EBR-1 that has shipped as an OEM rather than a retro-fit. My other Razor has a date in a few weeks to go back for the retro-fit. In the mean time, I'm going to sit down and work on a way to compare the updated ocular and review it here.

The EBR-2B was the first shipping OEM setup with the new ocular, I ordered 2 Razors about 5 weeks back and needed 1 immediately, The second one I waited for the new ocular before taking delivery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have an EBR-1 that arrived last night with the new ocular on it. To my knowledge it's the first EBR-1 that has shipped as an OEM rather than a retro-fit. My other Razor has a date in a few weeks to go back for the retro-fit. In the mean time, I'm going to sit down and work on a way to compare the updated ocular and review it here.

The EBR-2B was the first shipping OEM setup with the new ocular, I ordered 2 Razors about 5 weeks back and needed 1 immediately, The second one I waited for the new ocular before taking delivery. </div></div>

Since you have both the new and old eyepiece, do you think you could take photos of both for physical comparison?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The EBR-2B was the first shipping OEM setup with the new ocular, I ordered 2 Razors about 5 weeks back and needed 1 immediately, The second one I waited for the new ocular before taking delivery. </div></div>

Since you have both the new and old eyepiece, do you think you could take photos of both for physical comparison? </div></div>

Yep, I plan to. I haven't opened the box up yet (I didn't get home until very late last night from work) but there isn't supposed to be any visual difference on the outside of the scope according to when I called Vortex CS about it. Maybe I misunderstood, but I'll be taking photos for sure.

I thought the eye piece dipoter adjustment that is knurled is a little wider with the new eye piece. Scott had some at the AZ TPRC and the new one was wider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the eye piece dipoter adjustment that is knurled is a little wider with the new eye piece. Scott had some at the AZ TPRC and the new one was wider. </div></div>

How long ago was that? Were they pre-production models? That might have been the difference.

I'll take some pictures tonight and try to post them up. Like I mentioned above, I haven't opened the second one up yet so I can't say for sure, I'm just going by what I was told.

About 3 weeks ago. Standard models as far as I knew.

Just an FYI for you guys there are several visual differences to the outside of the eyepiece, but they are subtle. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

1. The diameter of the ocular lens is increased from 35mm to 37.5mm, although the OD of the eyepiece remains the same so the same flip caps should still work.

2. The overall length of the eyepiece is a few mm shorter. The retrofit actually replaces the entire ocular, from the mag ring back.

3. Finally, the most obvious difference is that the old eyepiece has a rubber eyecup on the back of the eyepiece. That eyecup had a tendency to warp inward a little bit and cause more tunneling or blackout. The new eyepiece does not use a rubber eyecup. That black part is actually aluminum now and has a larger inner diameter.

Hope this helps.

-Sam

Thanks Sam.

So easiest way to tell would be that if it has rubber on the eye piece than it's the old ocular with aluminum being the new ocular.

Should be simple enough for people to differentiate the 2.

Here's the pictures I took last night. My camera died in the middle of it and the last 2 are from my cell phone instead.

Immediate inspection looking into the ocular I thought "that glass looks bigger in diameter." I haven't been able to do anything but unpack the new one and take some pictures, so I can't how much difference that I notice at this point.

New
IMG_3228.JPG

New
IMG_3230.JPG

New
IMG_3232.JPG

New (left) Old (right)
IMG_20110309_191537.jpg

New (left) Old (right)
IMG_20110309_191411.jpg

See how the knurling is thinner on the old and wider on the new? That's what I was talking about. Thanks for the pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if this upgrade is also available for the Vipers? My shooting buddy has a 6.5-20x44 and its got a pretty small eye box above 16x </div></div>

Scott
</div></div>

Scott do the Razors you have in stock have the upgraded Ocular housing? Specifically one with the EBR-2 reticle? Will be interested in picking one up very soon. Pretty sure I will be trying out a Razor. </div></div>

Scott
</div></div>Just a quick update:

All variations of the 5-20's that have been shipped from us in the past 2 or 3 weeks have the new eye piece/ocular housing.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Scott
</div></div>Just a quick update:

All variations of the 5-20's that have been shipped from us in the past 2 or 3 weeks have the new eye piece/ocular housing.

Scott </div></div>

Thanks for the info [email protected] to hear that Vortex have all the models shipping out with the upgrade.

I will be ordering a scope soon and the 5-20 EBR-2 Razor is very high on my list. I would be ordering from Scott@Liberty Optics and want one with the new ocular housing. Will be getting in touch with Scott@LO soon enough!