• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rcbs 1500 chargemaster in cold weather accuracy

crowsniper1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2003
ky.
I got a new one for xmas and so far i have only used it inside but all my other gear is in my garage and it's not insulated,does the cold weather affect them or will it work just fine as long as i give it a 30 min warm up time?

Re: rcbs 1500 chargemaster in cold weather accuracy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crowsniper1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a new one for xmas and so far i have only used it inside but all my other gear is in my garage and it's not insulated,does the cold weather affect them or will it work just fine as long as i give it a 30 min warm up time? </div></div>

They can be a bit flighty at times. I'm in Miami, but sometimes mine geeks out on me for a stretch--fluttering a bit. I'll just shut it off and remove the plug from the unit for 30-60 seconds.

Just calibrate it after a good warm up. I'd even turn it on a good hour before use, if it's that cold in the garage.

I went the cheap Chinese route, but get another weight check set just to confirm things are where they should be.

After a charge is dispensed, I'll lift the pan once (or twice) and set it back, letting the scale settle down. This seems to give me a bit more confidence with my process. Sometimes a few grains will trickle into the pan, but aren't heavy enough to 'bump' the scale, so lifting helps out a bit.

For stick powders, I'll 'generally' set the target weight for .1 grain UNDER that desired weight and I'll have a few kernels in the CM1500's lid, next to the combo and just dab a few sticks out of that and into the pan, in lieu of using the 'trickle' function.

It seems to go faster. However, I tried this with AA 2520 and the crap just sticks to your fingers and is hard to get off.

Try to keep the combo away from big flourescent lighting and cell/cordless phones, as guys have reported in the past, that they dick with the unit a bit. Also, watch out for drafts.

I love my unit, but it does have its quirks occasionally.

Chris

Like you I do most of my reloading in the garage however its especially cold and damp in the winter over here... During the winter months I keep the Chargemaster inside so it remains at a relatively constant room temperature. If I could I'd leave it plugged in and switched on all the time too.

When it comes to loading up rounds I set up in the kitchen and clamp the Co-Ax on the kitchen table. Saves me getting cold out in the garage too as an added bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like you I do most of my reloading in the garage however its especially cold and damp in the winter over here... During the winter months I keep the Chargemaster inside so it remains at a relatively constant room temperature. If I could I'd leave it plugged in and switched on all the time too.

When it comes to loading up rounds I set up in the kitchen and clamp the Co-Ax on the kitchen table. Saves me getting cold out in the garage too as an added bonus. </div></div>Thats about the same method i use in the cold months .I resize brass in my garage then bring it inside to the kitchen table and weigh the powder and seat my bullets with a lee hand press.

I have a C/M 1500 and a Dillon digital scale. I used to turn them off when not in use but for the last few years I NEVER turn them off. Since I started leaving them on all the time they never seem to "geek out" on me.

How cold is "cold"????

My shop has been at 45 degrees a few times this season, but most of my loading has been at about 48-52, sometimes a balmy 58. Farenheit.

The ChargeMaster has never been squirrely, but the LCD display was a bit dim from a more extreme angle.

This includes several runs with 100% of the charges checked on a balance-beam scale. The thing just WORKS.

Does anyone know what the RCBS aluminum powder pan is supposed to weigh? I'm getting differing readings after calibrating. 156.3 to 157.2 grams.

I don't have another scale to reference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what the RCBS aluminum powder pan is supposed to weigh? I'm getting differing readings after calibrating. 156.3 to 157.2 grams.

I don't have another scale to reference. </div></div>

I think that's grains, not grams and my gold tone anti static pan weighs about 177.1gr, I get a bounce where it can sometimes float between 177.0 and 177.2, at times. Most of the time, my CM1500 reads it at 177.1 grains.

Chris

you're correct - grains. Thank you for the feedback.