• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS 1500 chargemaster vs lite

shin95

IG @ar15rifles
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I was just about to purchase the 1500 chargemaster until i ran accross theur new lite model. Which one seem to be more accurate?

Would touchscreen components mean they may offer electronic updates in the future?

Anyone have experience with the new lite version?

Dunno about the Lite, but I found the 1500 for $275 shipped today at Natchez. From what I've researched the 1500 does a great job and faster than most.

I have both. It's not about accuracy, it's more about consistency of the throw. The Lite rarely if ever overthrows a charge. It does take longer to get to the final charge as it's a lot slower in trickling in the charge. But it's way faster to read the weight as well. I haven't found a way to reprogram the Lite yet, but a comparison between my reprogrammed CM1500 and Lite, the 1500 is consistently faster then the Lite as it should be since I have tuned it to pretty much slow down at about 2 grains before the desired charge weight. I personally can't go back to just having 1 dispenser now. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with reloading with both machines running at the same time.

Interesting... so the Lite is actually more accurate and faster out of the box??? I may have to get one just so I can mark it and keep a different powder in it instead of dumping out all the powder every time I switch.

It's slower to throw the charge, but it's way faster in reading the charge as it drops. My CM1500 has been reprogrammed for years so I am not sure how it will stack up in terms of overall speed to the Lite if it was still on stock programming. My perception might be skewed since I am so use to how fast my reprogrammed CM1500 runs.

Just a couple of things I would like to do with the Lite. Have the option to turn off the stupid beeps and to be able to speed it up a little.

I may end up trying the lite but not just yet. Im still used to manual scales im not sure if i can trust the autos just yet.

The lite isn't more accurate; it's just smaller and made more affordable by offering less features compared to the original model.

quote from article:

For 2017, RCBS is introducing the Chargemaster Lite, meant to be a lower cost alternative to the much more expensive Chargemaster line currently gracing the reloading bench in my shop. The Lite takes all the great features of the regular Chargemaster, fixes the dispensing pipe, and uses a less expensive load cell along with a much cleaner interface to bring a true value based automated powder trickler to market.

For those worried about that load cell comment, fear not. RCBS’s product manager reassures me that the load cell in my legacy Chargemaster is accurate +/- .1 gr from 3-700 grains which requires a very precise, and therefore very expensive, load cell. The Lite version moves to a load cell that is accurate to +/- .1 gr from 3-300 grains. This, along with some other changes, reduces MSRP by ~$200 to $299.95. Given that real world cost on the regular Chargemaster is about 55% of MSRP, my hope was that the Lite would hit the market at a price substantially lower than $200, but it appears from a cursory search of the internet that you’ll be able to pick one up in the wild for ~$210.

So it's just a smaller load cell with the same resolution. This means you probably can't weigh other items thatll bust weight or get close to 300 grains.

Reactions: Wsultemeier
The lite isn't more accurate; it's just smaller and made more affordable by offering less features compared to the original model.

quote from article:

For 2017, RCBS is introducing the Chargemaster Lite, meant to be a lower cost alternative to the much more expensive Chargemaster line currently gracing the reloading bench in my shop. The Lite takes all the great features of the regular Chargemaster, fixes the dispensing pipe, and uses a less expensive load cell along with a much cleaner interface to bring a true value based automated powder trickler to market.

For those worried about that load cell comment, fear not. RCBS’s product manager reassures me that the load cell in my legacy Chargemaster is accurate +/- .1 gr from 3-700 grains which requires a very precise, and therefore very expensive, load cell. The Lite version moves to a load cell that is accurate to +/- .1 gr from 3-300 grains. This, along with some other changes, reduces MSRP by ~$200 to $299.95. Given that real world cost on the regular Chargemaster is about 55% of MSRP, my hope was that the Lite would hit the market at a price substantially lower than $200, but it appears from a cursory search of the internet that you’ll be able to pick one up in the wild for ~$210.

So it's just a smaller load cell with the same resolution. This means you probably can't weigh other items thatll bust weight or get close to 300 grains.
This was super helpful, much appreciated

Does the lite come with the clear cover that goes over the scale like the 1500 does?

Indeed it does:
1605185567592.png

After agonizing over the choice between the lite and full ChargeMaster for WAY too long, I finally pulled the trigger on the full size and it arrived yesterday. I gotta tell you, this thing is just amazing and I just can’t believe I waited as long as I did to pick one up...absolutely “Dead on balls accurate”, I don’t know WTF I was waiting for but damn, this makes everything SO much easier.
Very highly recommend it. I cannot speak to the the Lite version, and there wasn’t any tipping point reason to go for the larger version from a data/use/etc perspective.

FYI guys, Natchez is having a KILLER sale on these right now for both the Lite and full size...$314 & $229 respectively:

Hell of a deal on either one!

I have been using the lite for a couple years now. It will over throw. I can tell which will be heavy by watching it over thousand plus throws. I know because I check throws when suspect with a good, vetted balance scale.
The package is incredible. Keep it well cared for.
My long term experience is it’s a bargain.

I have two Lites, and one 1500. Both of my Lites are faster than my 1500.

I've tinkered with the settings on the 1500. If I try to make it any faster the number of overthrows increase.