• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS .223 die issues, any input?

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    While I was loading some 68gr Hornady BTHPs yesterday I noticed that every bullet had an indentation ring on the ogive about 1/3 of the way from the meplat. Did I do something wrong with setting up the die? I did set up the die like the instructions said with turning it all the way down on an empty case, then backing it out 1 turn and adjusting the seater plug until the desired COL was reached.

I've put together many rounds for my .308, and the first 500 or so with 4 different types of bullets were with a regular RCBS seater die. Never had that problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: RCBS .223 die issues, any input?

I notice depending on the shape of the bullets ogive or taper my standerd Lee bullet seater can sometimes leave a small ring barely noticable.
    Is it actually digging into the jacket with your bullet/die combo?
    Maybe it's excessive neck tension on the bullet causing it?

I have had the same thin happen to me, O just stopped using hornady bullets, I dont know where they get their jackets from but they are soft. The sierra bullets dont dent, and the bullets I make dont get a dent in them either. I use J4 jackets. The basic RCBS dies are junk for loading good ammo. Use a Redding seater die.

This has come up many times with all makes of dies. The edge of the recess may be sharp and the neck tension excessive also. Usually if you'll take a bullet and chuck it in your electric drill, apply a bit of valve lapping compound to the bullet nose and spin it in the seating stem for a short time...15 seconds or so, it will break the edge and eliminate the mark. If it still marks heavily check the neck tension. JMHO

The seating stem is making that ring upon seating the bullet, the deformation appears to be cosmetic only, I haven't personally attempted to kill anything and recover the projectile for study..but I don't think its too much of an issue. If it does bother you, you should be able to get a seating stem made to perfectly fit your bullet's profile and be good 2 go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eliminator_SS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh, are some of those words even english? Ogive, meplat?</div></div> Ogive is the curvature of the bullet's taper from the widest point(the bearing surface) to the tip, (which is called a meplat). Ogives are measured in 'calibers', and a meplat is a meplat. They sell meplat uniforming tools but whatever, thats another story for another day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has come up many times with all makes of dies. The edge of the recess may be sharp and the neck tension excessive also. Usually if you'll take a bullet and chuck it in your electric drill, apply a bit of valve lapping compound to the bullet nose and spin it in the seating stem for a short time...15 seconds or so, it will break the edge and eliminate the mark. If it still marks heavily check the neck tension. JMHO </div></div>
    Great tip!!
    Thanks
    I reload the same bullets constantly and this would work good for me.
    Its just cosmetic in my case but still a good idea IMO.

just switch dies, i had that happen on a compressed load w/ dillon dies, swapped in a lee and the problem went away.

I take the seating stem out, put it in the lathe, spin it and rub with fine abrasive paper, and check under the microscope until the burr is gone.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm probably going to give all of it a try to see if I can't prevent this. I do know that as I moved to a more compressed load the ring from the seater die was more noticeable on the bullet.

I don't think it is a neck tension thing as I literally stuffed a bullet down inside my empty case while I was doing my initial adjustment of the seater die. For some reason the stem was all the way down as it came from RCBS. There was no ring on that bullet once I found out where it was and pulled it.