• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS 338 Lapua dies????

alpine007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Another newbie question.......

Last year, in anticipation of purchasing a new 338 Lapua (Sako TRG 42), I started buying the components and dies to reload for it. Since the rifle has arrived and been shot (yep, I love it!), I have acquired enough brass to start working up my loads. I bought RCBS dies, as I've used their regular, carbide and competition dies for 35+ years, and been very satisfied. I am new to SH, but read on a thread last week that the best place for RCBS Lapua dies was the trash can. I want to be a good student, and when Redding comp. dies were recommended, I decided to order some. I don't want to be a pussy, but the $300.00 price tag caught me a little by surprise. I'm willing to spend, but what is the difference and how does it surface when I squeeze the trigger? Thanks in advance for sharing info and experience.

Re: RCBS 338 Lapua dies????

Forget the RCBS dies, get the Redding Body die, their Type S neck bushing die, with TiNi bushings in .365" and .364 and finally, get their Competition seating die. If you're not poor, get the Type S full length bushing sizing die, as well.

Don't fuck around.

And yes, I have just about every 338LM die made by humans.

Chris

I like my RCBS dies, I have not a single problem with them. I will end up getting a better seating unit, but I have no problems. I also am only using a neck sizing unit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my RCBS dies, I have not a single problem with them. I will end up getting a better seating unit, but I have no problems. I also am only using a neck sizing unit
</div></div>

I'm not saying that RCBS dies are problematic.

One is spending $2500-$4000 on a 338LM rifle.

They're paying $225 for a box of 100 pieces of brass, $65 for a box of 100 bullets, a pound of powder does about 85 rounds.

There are better options than a $35 die set, is all.

RCBS is good for plinking rounds in AR15s, but for long range target shooting, you can do better, quite frankly.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my RCBS dies, I have not a single problem with them. I will end up getting a better seating unit, but I have no problems. I also am only using a neck sizing unit
</div></div>

I'm not saying that RCBS dies are problematic.

One is spending $2500-$4000 on a 338LM rifle.

They're paying $225 for a box of 100 pieces of brass, $65 for a box of 100 bullets, a pound of powder does about 85 rounds.

There are better options than a $35 die set, is all.

RCBS is good for plinking rounds in AR15s, but for long range target shooting, you can do better, quite frankly.

Chris </div></div>

What Chris said! I have just about any manufacturer's dies for my other calibers, but for the .338LM I went straight to Redding.