• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Bench Primer or Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand Primer

Reformedcitykid

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2023
New York
Hi all, looking to pick up a new priming tool and was wondering if anyone has compelling arguments one way or another towards either the RCBS Bench Primer or the FA Perfect Seat Hand Primer? To date I’ve been using the Lee Hand Primer and want an upgrade. I originally wanted to go to a bench-mounted system, but the FA looks pretty great.

I know everyone loves to recommend the Primal Rights CPS. In a perfect world where I grow my money on the money tree I would get one. In this world I won’t. I’ve also thought hard about the 21st Century or Sinclair primers, but for how good of a price I can get the FA for, I’m not sure that the quality trade off is enough to justify spending the roughly 3-4x I’d spend.

Any recommendations one way or another would be much appreciated!

I’ve used a RCBS bench priming tool for many years. What you have to watch out for is keeping it clean and everything straight. Once things get the least bit out of true, it simply won’t work. Mine is waiting parts as, yes, after twenty-four years, it needs an update.

It works great with the RCBS accessory plate, allowing you to unbolt it and get it out of the way. Has lots of leverage which allows you to carefully seat primers. Great for folks with arthritis in their hands or not having a lot of hand strength to begin with.

Reactions: Reformedcitykid
RCBS bench primer works very well, I have used it of many years. I have tried hand primers, they are not faster or easier to use and for me less consistent on seating depth.

Reactions: Reformedcitykid
Hi all, looking to pick up a new priming tool and was wondering if anyone has compelling arguments one way or another towards either the RCBS Bench Primer or the FA Perfect Seat Hand Primer? To date I’ve been using the Lee Hand Primer and want an upgrade. I originally wanted to go to a bench-mounted system, but the FA looks pretty great.

I know everyone loves to recommend the Primal Rights CPS. In a perfect world where I grow my money on the money tree I would get one. In this world I won’t. I’ve also thought hard about the 21st Century or Sinclair primers, but for how good of a price I can get the FA for, I’m not sure that the quality trade off is enough to justify spending the roughly 3-4x I’d spend.

Any recommendations one way or another would be much appreciated!
I've got the FA Perfect Seat set (see pic below) and it works just fine, but not as consistent as my 21st Century hand primer, and . . . it's not as easy on my old hand as the 21st Century. The leverage on the 21st Century is such that it's really easy on the hands when doing a lot of priming. So, though the FA has a trey to hold a number of primers for seating (trey saves a little time), it's just sitting on the shelf and I should just sell it since I just don't use it.

These days, I like to use my Lee ACP which works the best for me. I keep my 21st Century as a backup or for use whenever I'm not do the work at a bench. The ACP is hard to find now as Lee doesn't make it any more. Though Lee's APP press works very much the same way and can be easily modified for adjusting seating depths.

FA Hand Primer Set.jpg

Man I love my FA hand primer, you can set the depth and prime anywhere and sit down to do it.

That said, if you're just going to buy one tool, get you an Ugly Reloading primer. It's awesome and works with dillon tubes. It's extremely fast and very consistent. With their shell holder as well, it's pretty incredible and consistent. Very well machined and a fraction of the CPS, also it has a nice micrometer.

I've got the FA Perfect Seat set (see pic below) and it works just fine, but not as consistent as my 21st Century hand primer, and . . . it's not as easy on my old hand as the 21st Century. The leverage on the 21st Century is such that it's really easy on the hands when doing a lot of priming. So, though the FA has a trey to hold a number of primers for seating (trey saves a little time), it's just sitting on the shelf and I should just sell it since I just don't use it.

These days, I like to use my Lee ACP which works the best for me. I keep my 21st Century as a backup or for use whenever I'm not do the work at a bench. The ACP is hard to find now as Lee doesn't make it any more. Though Lee's APP press works very much the same way and can be easily modified for adjusting seating depths.

View attachment 8385091

Thanks for the input, and if you are looking to sell the FA, send me a message!

Man I love my FA hand primer, you can set the depth and prime anywhere and sit down to do it.

That said, if you're just going to buy one tool, get you an Ugly Reloading primer. It's awesome and works with dillon tubes. It's extremely fast and very consistent. With their shell holder as well, it's pretty incredible and consistent. Very well machined and a fraction of the CPS, also it has a nice micrometer.

I’ve gotten recommended the Ugly Reloading primer a few times. It looks great, unfortunately I can’t shell out the money for it at the moment and I need a priming tool sooner rather than later. But down the line if I look to upgrade this may be the one!

I have an RCBS / Holland Perfect Prime for sale, if you're interested. It's an RCBS with an adjustable depth stop.

Last edited:
I have both and use the RCBS Bench Primer for all my priming duties now. I don't know when the last time I even used the FA. It's faster and has more leverage when seating primers.

^^^^ This ^^^^
I have both.

The 3d printed button a really good dude on here printed for me really helps hit the button fast when I come up with the press handle and I can go pretty darn fast with it and get consistent priming. Really happy with it all

I bought a new FA 2 days ago thinking it would be an upgrade over my RCBS hand primer. I just dont care for it. Ive loaded 1000's upon 1000's of rounds with my RCBS (not the universal) and its always been great. The FA just didnt have the feel I expected. Plus its harder to seat with than the RCBS and I dont have weak hands. Ill be sending it back for a refund and getting the Ugly Primer listed above. I would love to try a Sinclair or 21st Century, but there is no way Im gonna dick around with each individual primer. If theyd make a mounted tray version, that would be great.

ok , i do have a rcbs bench primer ,but , i dont use it to put primers in . i use it to set primers to a certain depth which means i had to install a stop . i do like using the rcbs hand primer