• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 - Missing Functionality

capreppy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Princeton, TX
I got my RCBS 1500 Chargemaster a few years ago from here I think. I've recently gotten back into reloading and am using my Chargemaster. I've seen on the web instructions for

a) turning off volume (hitting ZERO button for 5 seconds)
b) auto dispense (hitting ENTER button for 5 seconds)

Mine doesn't do anything when I hit either of those two buttons. Is there a way to upgrade firmware? Or has anyone found a way to address these two functions in another way?

Do the buttons not do anything? Like zero the scale when its pressed? or just nothing when they are held down for 5 SECs? bad touch pad?

The zero button does zero, but holding it down does not turn off the beep. The enter button does enter the value, but holding it down does not turn on auto dispense.

They suggested that adjusting the rails that hold the two pieces together could have something to do with it, but I adjusted as they suggested and that didn't help either. Waiting for another response from RCBS.

I got my RCBS 1500 Chargemaster a few years ago from here I think. I've recently gotten back into reloading and am using my Chargemaster. I've seen on the web instructions for

a) turning off volume (hitting ZERO button for 5 seconds)
b) auto dispense (hitting ENTER button for 5 seconds)

Mine doesn't do anything when I hit either of those two buttons. Is there a way to upgrade firmware? Or has anyone found a way to address these two functions in another way?

I don't know about volume part. But you do not have to hold down the enter button for 5 sec to auto dispense. I type in the weight, hit enter, then hit dispense and it throws powder each time I replace the pan.

Reactions: spife7980
I don't know about volume part. But you do not have to hold down the enter button for 5 sec to auto dispense. I type in the weight, hit enter, then hit dispense and it throws powder each time I replace the pan.
I’ve tried multiple variations of this and none of them do auto dispense 😐😐

I’ve tried multiple variations of this and none of them do auto dispense 😐😐
Something is definitely wrong then, because I do not have to hold the enter button down to auto dispense. My CM1500 is 13 years old and working perfectly (KOW) so maybe they changed the software since then.

I asked about software / firmware updates and they indicated none have been made :(

Gonna try and call them again while I am driving to meet up with some friends.

So just an update. Apparently the "beep off" and auto-dispense are newer features. My Chargemaster has a manufacture date of 2007 and apparently was BEFORE these features were added. These features are hard-coded into the motherboard so there is no firmware fix.

Basically, live with the annoyances, or sell and get a new one. I'm considering selling and getting a new one or possibly even considering a V3 Auto-Trickler. Thoughts?

So just an update. Apparently the "beep off" and auto-dispense are newer features. My Chargemaster has a manufacture date of 2007 and apparently was BEFORE these features were added. These features are hard-coded into the motherboard so there is no firmware fix.

Basically, live with the annoyances, or sell and get a new one. I'm considering selling and getting a new one or possibly even considering a V3 Auto-Trickler. Thoughts?

Get the v3

Get the v3
I've read the other threads on the AT V2 / V3. I'm trying to wrap my ahead around cost / benefit.

A couple of questions. I know from an accuracy perspective, the AT V2 / V3 is more accurate.
- is it faster?
- is the Area 419 upgrades necessary? if so, what upgrades?

I've read the other threads on the AT V2 / V3. I'm trying to wrap my ahead around cost / benefit.

A couple of questions. I know from an accuracy perspective, the AT V2 / V3 is more accurate.
- is it faster?
- is the Area 419 upgrades necessary? if so, what upgrades?

Gonna be honest with you - I literally JUST got my v3 last week. But in a way - I can give some good insight to your questions I believe...

It’s definitely faster. My v3 throws a 30.8g charge in about 10 seconds. That’s twice as fast if not even faster than my chargemaster.

I had two chargemaster lites running side by side and I’m sure the v3 will still beat it. Not to mention the accuracy. The Bluetooth/app control for the v3 is amazing. I highly recommend getting the v3 for this reason. It’s just so easy, esp for load dev.

As far as the upgrades - I immediately purchased the area 419 powder cup and centering tray and the lexan lid. I do not like the glass cup that comes with the v3.

I don’t see the other upgrades as necessary yet other than those three. However that’s not to say I won’t end up with them eventually just to have the set.

I know the price can be hard to swallow. Through CE products it’s about a 10 week wait so I placed my deposit and set the money aside each paycheck and had the remaining $910 when the unit was ready to ship. Wasn’t bad at all.

It’s one of those buy once cry once purchased your surely won’t regret.

Reactions: capreppy
Gonna be honest with you - I literally JUST got my v3 last week. But in a way - I can give some good insight to your questions I believe...

It’s definitely faster. My v3 throws a 30.8g charge in about 10 seconds. That’s twice as fast if not even faster than my chargemaster.

I had two chargemaster lites running side by side and I’m sure the v3 will still beat it. Not to mention the accuracy. The Bluetooth/app control for the v3 is amazing. I highly recommend getting the v3 for this reason. It’s just so easy, esp for load dev.

As far as the upgrades - I immediately purchased the area 419 powder cup and centering tray and the lexan lid. I do not like the glass cup that comes with the v3.

I don’t see the other upgrades as necessary yet other than those three. However that’s not to say I won’t end up with them eventually just to have the set.

I know the price can be hard to swallow. Through CE products it’s about a 10 week wait so I placed my deposit and set the money aside each paycheck and had the remaining $910 when the unit was ready to ship. Wasn’t bad at all.

It’s one of those buy once cry once purchased your surely won’t regret.
That's exactly the feedback I was looking for.

I work from home and our garage is hot. During a typical TX summer, I don't like being in there. So anything I can do inside the house is better. The "beeping" from the Chargemaster and wanting to turn it off is what got me down this rabbit hole. My wife and kids did NOT like the beeping sound while trying to watch a movie.

TBH, it IS a hard pill to swallow, BUT I've spent money where I think I've gotten bang for the buck. I've got a Giraud Powered Case Trimmer and Annealer. These two have paid for themselves already in time savings.

I'll continue researching, but if it's a 10 weeks wait, I may place my order in December after I've paid through the nose for Christmas stuff and then I can set the funds aside month by month till it ships.

Reactions: Olen_4504