• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Question

Swaim13

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2018
Peoples Republic of Maryland
I am looking at getting a Chargemaster 1500 locally and it is barely used (reportedly 3 times) but has been sitting on a shelf in the original packaging for a few years. Is there a shelf life on these units? Is the sitting something I should be worried about? How long should these last?

I have been using a chargemaster lite so am just looking to get a second powder dispenser.

I wouldn't worry about it. Digital electronics don't "go bad" for no reason (analog is a different story as resistance and capacitance values can vary over time due to corrosion, moisture changes, and even pressure swings). There are multiple PID loops within the machine that can overcome wear/tear if there were/is any. Makr sure it's warmed up 10-15 minutes before you try measuring loads.

Take a few known masses, and see if it checks out. As light a cal'd mass as you can find (closest to actual loads you'll throw, 50 or 100g is a lot higher than most charges). If you have access to a better scale, buck/compare loads from the CM against that better scale (assuming it's cal'd).

My CM is at least 4 or 5 years old and still works as well as it did new, better with the reducing inserts.

My chargemaster is around 8 years old now and is still going. iT does seem to fumble a little more now on automatic throwing. I'd like to get a 2nd as well.... as much as I'd love to have a V3 trickler/AD FX120 setup is just tooooo much money for my blood...or my uses.

Anyone know a company that will go over it and make sure everything is good? RCBS maybe?

Shouldn’t be a problem at all. The motor lubes will last a long time even running and have no issues with household indoor storage especially in the original box.