• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS CHARGEMASTER COMBO

GunMax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I just ordered up a "RCBS CHARGEMASTER COMBO" from Natchezss. They had it on sale for $280 I figured I would try it out. Has anyone had experience with one? Any tips on the best way to use them? Or was this just a waste of money?

Thanks

Re: RCBS CHARGEMASTER COMBO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered up a "RCBS CHARGEMASTER COMBO" from Natchezss. They had it on sale for $280 I figured I would try it out. Has anyone had experience with one? Any tips on the best way to use them? Or was this just a waste of money?

Thanks </div></div>

I've used one for seven years and like it a lot.

Plug it into a good power strip, don't uses it around noisy flourescent lighting, don't use your cell phone around it, don't leave powder in it for more than a day, if that, search this forum for the 'tweaking tips' for the CM1500.

You can go into the brain and reconfigure the parameters and speed it up. There's also the McDonalds' straw mod to do--1/2" of straw slit lengthwise and placed inside of the rotating dispenser tube. This keeps the kernels from plopping out, when they shouldn't.

Chris

Tons of info here on these....

I, like many here, are very pleased with this piece of kit. Enjoy it.

love it, but DONT LEAVE POWDER IN OVERNIGHT! I found out the hard way with some Bullseye (dont ask why bullseye was in there!). It has left a permanent tacky feel on the clear plastic powder funnel that wont come off.

Thanks I am excited to get started using it. It will boot my reloading time and give me more time at the range and studying for school!

I've had mine since August when PSA had a sale for 25% off all RCBS stuff, then allowed me to submit a mail in rebate for another $50 off. I got mine for $175 after the rebate came back.

I think it is great, but you absolutely have to go though the calibration process every time you turn it on for best results.

I like mine, but it tends to overshoot the charges with Varget quite a bit, especially if there's any kind of static build up (I try to wipe the whole thing down with static wipes between uses to avoid some of this phenomenon).

I've heard of a trick for preventing that overcharge issue by pushing a piece of a drinking straw in the end of the dispensing tube, but haven't tried it yet myself. The overcharge situation certainly isn't dangerous or anything, since you'll easily see if it dropped too much powder on the scale's readout. In those instances I just dump it back in the hopper and let it dispense again.

I will say that I think there's no better tool for load development. When you need to dispense a bunch of powder at various weights, it is quite easy to use when compared to the alternatives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coloradocop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like mine, but it tends to overshoot the charges with Varget quite a bit, especially if there's any kind of static build up (I try to wipe the whole thing down with static wipes between uses to avoid some of this phenomenon).

I've heard of a trick for preventing that overcharge issue by pushing a piece of a drinking straw in the end of the dispensing tube, but haven't tried it yet myself. The overcharge situation certainly isn't dangerous or anything, since you'll easily see if it dropped too much powder on the scale's readout. In those instances I just dump it back in the hopper and let it dispense again.

I will say that I think there's no better tool for load development. When you need to dispense a bunch of powder at various weights, it is quite easy to use when compared to the alternatives. </div></div>

With longer stick powders, I just set my target weight to .1 under my desired load and then dab a few kernels into the pan, which I have sitting in the cap next to the machine. This is easier than taking kernels out of the pan.

I also lift the pan and place it back down onto the scale, letting things settle for a second time.

Chris

For the price, it is hard to beat the chargemaster combo. I'm using the McD's straw mod, and with varget I might get an over 1 out of 15 ish which I just dig a few varget out with a plastic spoon. Benchmark powder is even better.

I actually place my chargemaster on a folded in 1/2 anti-static motherboard bag (I build custom PC towers for myself and friends) and I think it helps with static build up.

Elfster I that static bag might not be a bad idea. Static seems to be the thing that causes the most issues with the Chargemaster and anything that can reduce the static couldn't hurt. Might have to see if I still have a bag laying around to toss under it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the price, it is hard to beat the chargemaster combo. I'm using the McD's straw mod, and with varget I might get an over 1 out of 15 ish which I just dig a few varget out with a plastic spoon. Benchmark powder is even better.

I actually place my chargemaster on a folded in 1/2 anti-static motherboard bag (I build custom PC towers for myself and friends) and I think it helps with static build up. </div></div>

Where can i get one of the anti-static bags? Never heard of them. I just ordered a chargemaster myself and live in a dry environment so static charge builds up easily.

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eznutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the price, it is hard to beat the chargemaster combo. I'm using the McD's straw mod, and with varget I might get an over 1 out of 15 ish which I just dig a few varget out with a plastic spoon. Benchmark powder is even better.

I actually place my chargemaster on a folded in 1/2 anti-static motherboard bag (I build custom PC towers for myself and friends) and I think it helps with static build up. </div></div>

Where can i get one of the anti-static bags? Never heard of them. I just ordered a chargemaster myself and live in a dry environment so static charge builds up easily.

thanks </div></div>

Take a fabric softener sheet and wipe the insides down with it.

I don't have issues with S.E., but that seems to work for other types of measures.

Chris

Also consider anti static spray. You can get it for like 5 bucks a can at the drug store. I always start by spraying down the whole damn room like I'm working with fabreeze. Another imp thing is a grounded surge protector. It'll save you a lot of grief and your scales won't be jumpy if any surges do occur. That actually ruined one of mine. It's pretty easy to figure out though. I have 4 of them and after the first one I never looked back. Oh yeah....... Make sure the powder drainer is CLOSED!!! We've all done it and I got so sick of my dad coming in there and loading shit and leaving it open I finally just bought 2 more and lock em in my room at the camp

Luv mine but go a few more pages into this forum and to find other opinions and advice.

I have two of them I find it is very slow with only one, With two by the time I load one the other is waiting. I have all the same problems everyone else is, the finer the powder the more accurate they are. I load the exact weight that I want if it throws over I mashed a 16 penny nail flat on the end and I will pull a little out till I get to my weight. The scales are on about 75% of the time, so you have to play with the other 25%.