• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS ChargeMaster & magnets

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
My reloading bench consists of a metal cabinet with a thick maple top work surface. Frequently the drawers get cluttered with allen wrenches and the like and I am contemplating slapping a tool bar magnet on the side of the bench to store my frequently used tools. I know that a magnet would likely throw off a balance beam scale; however, does anyone know if a bar magnet used to hold tools approximately 3 feet away from a scale would affect any of the weights on an RCBS Powder Dispenser and Scale?

I have yet to pick up any bar magnets; thus, I am unable to run any sort of scientific testing.

Re: RCBS ChargeMaster & magnets

Inverse square law is your friend. Triple the distance is one-ninth the strength.

On the other hand, sensitive electronics are...sensitive.

The only times I've ever been tempted to go away from the ***bone-simple, no worries if the lights go out and it will still work when the Road Warrior is desperately scrounging for petrol and it also doesn't need batteries*** system, is when testing cases for water capacity. So no, sorry, I don't have an electronic scale.

By the time you're far enough away to not disturb a balance beam (probably a foot is plenty), it's probably also far enough away for any electronic device too--if they are even affected at all other than "lifting" on a steel powder pan.

Beware of false positives if you are moving the magnet. Stationary does not generate an RF signal. Testing should include movement and flipping it so the polarity reverses quickly. Do the same with a balance beam and I'm sure that you'll be pleasantly surprised at how close you have to get to see any wiggle in the reading.

Oh, any A/C powered scale is quite likely to be immune, since the 60-hz cycle switching in the power cord or the DC power supply generates an electromagnetic signal too. We're just spoiled because our audio products filter it out so well.

Okay... so run a sample with no in the vacitinity of the workbench & then a sample w/ them on the bench. Then re-weight on another scale to verify that there is no difference between the two.