• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS chargemaster or Denver scales?

Re: RCBS chargemaster or Denver scales?

I have no experience with the Denver scale. I have used a Chargemaster for about a year and really like it. Mine broke a few months back. RCBS customer service was very good and they sent me a new one. The replacement seems faster and rarely goes over .1 or .2 as these have been known to do. I would recommend the Chargemaster based on my experience of it so far.

How anal are you?

I like the Chargemaster, enough that I own 2 of them, with the combined speed they are the ticket for accurate and speedy reloading. I tried the toss and trickle to .01 grain with a more accurate scale (vs .1 gr for the CM) and didn't notice enough of a difference to justify the time. I also noticed myself reaching into the pan to remove one kernal of powder.....and that's when I realized I might be going overboard.

I'm a very recreational tactical type shooter, so the CM does it all and more without issue and gets the needed accuracy. If I was trying to break world records at 1,000 yards then I'd be trickling to the kernel.....lucky for my marriage I'm not.

Search under Kombayotch's posts for the straw trick, you'll almost eliminate all overcharges, it works really well. I haven't changed my internal programming for my specific load, but I will and that should make it even faster.

J

The CM is capable of great accuracy if tuned and if precaustions are taken to monitor and eliminate sources of error caused by drift. In combination with the reducer, I have my s/w tuned to the point that removing then adding again a kernel or two of Varget will make the readout fluctuate between two values.

Something I will point out that isn't mentioned in any electronic scale tips I've read, is to watch for static buildup between the housing and the plastic platform. This is the biggest sources of drift I've found in the CM scale. I'd already addressed the potential issues of fluorecent light balasts and drafts from the heating/air condiditoning system though (basic electronic scale precautions). So, im not counting things like that.

When you remove the pan to dump it, always check that the readout is -(pan weight). That tells you that it hasn't drifted (not by more than 0.1 gr., at least). I haven't gotten around to testing it with the laboratory scale again lately, but I know its well withing the +/- 0.1 gr. if you keep an eye on this.

I have an expensive Denver Instruments electronic labratory balance. We use it when inspectiong bullets. 90% of what I do is done on an old Dillon electric scale.