• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rcbs chargemaster

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
san jose ca
For those of you that use a chargemaster. Did your loads stay the same as a balance beam.
I weigh all my powder on a balance beam and get a seperation of 14.
So what do you all get with a high speed low drag chargemaster? Is it worth it for the accurate loads I get with a beam.

Re: rcbs chargemaster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I weigh all my powder on a balance beam and get a seperation of 14. </div></div>

14 grains? If that's the case you're doing something completely wrong.

The CM1500 is as good as you're going to get until you drop some serious money. I have both the Lyman1200 and the CM1500 and the CM1500 is FAR better than the Lyman but they both throw perfect loads. I NEVER use my bean scale any more. I have check weights I use on the CM1500 and Lyman1200 and if the check weights read right, I'm up and running.

That didn't read right my bad. I get 14 as a seperation for SD shooting through a crono.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That didn't read right my bad. I get 14 as a seperation for SD shooting through a crono. </div></div>

Oh, that makes more sense. Well, depending on what bean scale you're using you can get very consistent loads but at that level you're really splitting hairs and not many people can shoot well enough to take advantage of that kind of consistency. The CM1500 will throw very consistent loads and you'll nail .1gr no problem every time but the size of the powder is going to vary the consistency a little bit but you'd have to have a VERY VERY accurate beam scale to even see the difference.

For example: .1gr of Varget is four individual sticks so you might get a variation of 2-3 sticks per charge but realistically nobody is a good enough shooter to see that little variation in charge in the real world. Even chronographs can't detect that little of a difference so it's really just splitting hairs. The difference would be even finer if you're throwing ball powder.

I calibrate my 505 scale about once a month with certified weights. I also use it to check every 20th load from the Chargemaster when doing precision rounds.

I will agree with the above, the Chargemaster is the best when it comes to affordable electronic scale/thrower. I have a Lyman DPS 1200 III that is a paperweight in my reloading room. That thing has issues that I am not willing to pay Lyman fix (They should take heed of all of hte negative reviews floating around on the internet, and fix their product).

It is varget that I use. And my scale is a old school lyman and its brown. I get about 20 loads an Hr.

All my powder is thrown with a Chargemaster now after using a beam scale for many years. I haven't noticed any difference in the accuracy of my ammunition. I'm currently loading for a benchrest rifle in 6BR (Varget) and a 338 LM (Retumbo). I'll never go back.

My old electronic scale reads out to .02gr. I have a clipped down penny that would ALWAYS read 44.94 on that scale.

The CM resolves to .1gr. The CM can't make up it's mind if my penny weighs 44.9 or 45.0... thats perfect.

As mentioned, however, the CM doesn't know if you're on the highside of 45.0, or the low side - and there's about a 3 kernel difference between the two with Varget.

If 3 kernels is crucial to you, the CM isn't the right tool for the job.

My CM is exact to my beam scale every time. I would never go back to the beam, its just too slow

I've seen no difference in my sd with the use of the chargemaster. I was cautious at first and check the charges from with a balance beam after every 5 loads, but have no come to trust the chargemaster entirely. I typically check the first load on a balance beam and go on from there.

I have a chargemaster full setup, and I check each load on a Acculab VIC123. 95% of the time, it is 1-1.5gr off, and I trickle to exact weight. There are plenty of guys out there that just throw a powder load, then trickle to weight, but the chargemaster in my opinion is worth the dough!

Mine has been dead on and I've been using it for six years now. Can't imagine going back to a beam scale.