• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Comp Dies?

MD2Colo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Littleton, CO
I'm sure some of you guys have these, how are they?
Was thinking about a full length for the gas gun and just a neck for the bolt gun.

RCBS Dies at midway

Currently using Hornady Custom Grade dies, but I'm attracted to this bushing setup because I like being able to set neck tension.
I'm still pretty new to the reloading gig and haven't tried using bushing dies yet, but I like the mic adjustment on the seater and it seems that these bushing dies are the way to go.

Anybody using these care to share their experience/opinion? Any little special nuances/issues with these?
THanks dudes

Re: RCBS Comp Dies?

"RCBS Comp Dies?"

No short, loosely fitted bullet sliding sleeve deserves the lable "comp die"; that design feature includes both of the costly RCBS and Hornady seaters. ONLY Forster/Redding seaters have a spring loaded full body/bullet alignment sleeve that actually holds everything in line before seating starts so ONLY they approximate what can be done with a Wilson type real precision hand die. IMHO.

Lee's Collet neck die is more useful than any bushing dies for those of us who fire factory rifles with SAAMI chambers. IMHO.

Sounds like I need to look at those Redding/Forster dies...

thanks fuzzball.

checking out the collet ones, also.

I'm such a noob at reloading I don't even know what a collet die is. flame away.

Currently reading about collet dies and the like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

checking out the collet ones, also.

I'm such a noob at reloading I don't even know what a collet die is. flame away.

Currently reading about collet dies and the like

</div></div>

I've been reloading since 1985 and I don't know what a collet die is either!

Fuzzball is right on the Redding aspect, I've never handled a Forster die so no opinion. And with Redding sizer's you don't have to fight the 2" of decapping rod sticking up, no reason to bleed when reloading.
But for ease of use, the RCBS Gold medal seater is nice, and I know for a fact that it will produce accurate ammo.

"But for ease of use, the RCBS Gold medal seater is nice, and I know for a fact that it will produce accurate ammo."

Please note that I didn't say it can't "produce accurate ammo", it just doesn't do any better, on average, than any other seaters.

Fact is, all of our die makers are quite good so the difference in average concentricity between the best and the worst individual seaters isn't usually very much. RCBS' cute little side loading window may be helpful for some, it doesn't do a thing for me; nor did the identical Vickerman seaters which RCBS copied.

Anyone who has used a Redding comp. seater has effectively used a Forster; Redding just copied their basic design.

So your saying that the RCBS Comp dies are a POS in your opinion? #*%#$^%@^%&$*##!!!! I just ordered a set of (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516640/rcbs-competition-2-die-set-308-winchester) from Midway this morning..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"RCBS Comp Dies?"

No short, loosely fitted bullet sliding sleeve deserves the lable "comp die"; that design feature includes both of the costly RCBS and Hornady seaters. ONLY Forster/Redding seaters have a spring loaded full body/bullet alignment sleeve that actually holds everything in line before seating starts so ONLY they approximate what can be done with a Wilson type real precision hand die. IMHO.

Lee's Collet neck die is more useful than any bushing dies for those of us who fire factory rifles with SAAMI chambers. IMHO. </div></div>

Jack, read what I posted again, more slowly perhaps:

"Fact is, all of our die makers are quite good so the difference in average concentricity between the best and the worst individual seaters isn't usually very much."

Your new die will not be a POS; it's unlikely to be quite as good as a Forster/Redding but even that's no certainty because they all have manufactoring tolerances and that puts variables both ways into any of them.

I use the expander/decap assembly from the RCBS Competition dies in my standard RCBS FL dies, the raised ball type expander makes them size like a Forster die, so MUCH smoother.

Leaning towards Redding Type S Full Bushing Die, Redding Comp Seating DIe and Lee Collet Neck Size die.

Gonna check out forster stuff later

I have four sets of the Type S comp dies and just got my first Forster FL Comp sizing die and as much as I like my Redding dies I love the Forster FL sizing die.

As far as the Comp seating dies they are to close to call one better than the other.