• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Ram Priming Tool

Savage_Jake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Louisville, KY
I broke the priming tool that came with my Rock Chucker Supreme press so I was in the market for a new tool. I looked up some reviews about the Lee Auto Prime, and the RCBS Hand Priming tool but some of the reviews were kind of shady. But the reviews for the RCBS Ram Priming tool were excellent. I went to my local gun shop and they happened to have one in stock. I brought it home, set it up, and tried a couple. It is by far the simplest and easiest way I have ever primed brass. Its not as fast as a hand loader type but it is very affective. Anyone looking to upgrade the way they prime brass should look into one of these.

DSCN2659.jpg

Re: RCBS Ram Priming Tool

I use a Lee hand primer. I really cant imagine an easier way to prime cases if you have average hand strength. I really like the feel you get with it. I can tell if there is a problem.

The only time i ever had an issue was with a couple .223 cases that i didn't ream well enough.

+1 on the Lee hand priming tool. It was the first and last priming tool I ever bought. Still works very well and like LWUSMC said, it gives great feel of how tight (or loose for that matter) the primer pockets are.

I was gonna try that one but it had a lot of bad reviews at MidwayUSA. I am referring to the one thats right around $15-20. The RCBS one had good reviews but was said to be a pain in the ass when changing between small and large primers. The Ram tool had great reviews all the way around. Thats why I chose it over the others.

I just switched to a RCBS hand priming tool, and have to say that I like the feel of my Lee better. The RCBS just feels akward.
I've been through 2 paddles on my Lee in the last 5 years, but then again I've also primed LC 223 brass without swaging with it as well. I'll be ordering another couple paddles soon.

Using the RCBS ram tool, be sure you wear gloves or oil/sweat/contaminants from your skin can cause just a click when you are expecting a bang......

Believe it or not, but I have been using my bare fingers to load primers from the start. I make it a habit to rub my fingers on my shirt in between each primer I pick up. I used to use my dads Rock Chucker and I had to pick up the primer. We have never had a misfire. Crazy but true.

LOL, same here LW, I put some bearing greese on that very joint and I noticed a big improvment.

the pain takes about 30 seconds but then again i have 5 rcbs but i am just a lazy ass

I have the Rcbs hand Primer. But I have to ask what makes the Lee a better one to have. I have read many reviews telling that the Lee is a better one to have.

As far as handling Primers with your fingers I see no problem with that. Thats the way it was done before the engineers came up with all of the new fangled Reloading equipment.

On Predator Masters a Gentleman did some tests on killing Primers. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think in the end the only thing that killed a Primer was Water. He used Oils and other liquids and they did not completely kill a Primer. So I think Finger oil might be a Wivestail.

Honestly, I can't tell you what makes it better because the Lee is all I have ever used. I just never felt a need for anything else.

To me, the press mounted deals add up to extra time. All I do with the Lee is dump a tray of primers in it, shake them right side up, snap on the cover and go. No filling tubes or putting a new die in my press. No chasing primers either. I never have to touch anything with my fingers.

I had a couple of the Lee primers at one time (I had one for each primer size. they were cheap) After replacing paddles for the 6th or 7th time, I gave up on 'em. I went with the Hornady hand primer. I liked the way the handle pivoted on it. Felt like working a set of pliers. If I was doing it now I would consider the RCBS unit with the universal jaws. If I have a large amount of brass to prime, now I just run it through my Dillon 650 as a seperate step.

a rcbs ram i bought used has the primer attachment that you could use on the downstroke after depriming/sizing but it appears to be incomplete (at least need the feeding tube).

having trouble finding what that piece is called. any help?