• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rcbs rockchucker and reloading mods/tools that have helped me

layback04

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Ohio
Rcbs rockchucker and reloading mods to help make your life more enjoyable.

Inline fabrication makes some great accessories to add to just about any press, the primer catch system for the chucker is the best upgrade you can do, everything else is going to be by preference. The primer tube priming system upgrade works wonders if you clean your brass and then size and prime but if you deprime and then clean, I suggest priming by hand or a bench mounted system. If you multiple presses and you want to use the same dies for multiple presses you can make this happen by running the ram up with the same shell holder in each press you can take measurements and machine or grind the insert such that the height from the top of the shell holder to the top of the 7/8 insert is the same on all of them. Reducing inserts for the chargemaster and any electronic dispensers is the cats meow and reduces overthrows to almost zero, less than 1%. I also like having my shellholders very close by for when I want to switch. Most dies now come with lock rings but if you are using lee dies, get lock rings from Hornady or a place like McMasterCarr, this way your dies are set and can be quickly changed. Area419 makes some great products as well, this is more swag but the aluminum makes powder flow better and reduces static, so check out the funnel and powder cups. As far as case lube I have had very good luck with the Hornady sizing wax which also works well with the Willis belted magnum sizer.

If you want very clean brass, I highly suggest the stainless tumbling media followed up with some corn cob media to dry the cases out.

I am also testing salt bath annealing currently, I like it so far especially the controlled temperature. I haven’t tested this at the Range yet to see how consistent the cases are performing. 5-6 seconds and doing two cases at a time does cool the salt very quickly, so 50 cases and wait about 5 minutes to let the temp come up, I’ve found that you can anneal about 10 cases, trim 10 cases and then anneal and keep that process going makes the process very fluid, you can also substitute sizing with trimming.

This is easier to see the key points.

Rcbs rockchucker and reloading mods to help make your life more enjoyable.

Inline fabrication makes some great accessories to add to just about any press, the primer catch system for the chucker is the best upgrade you can do, everything else is going to be by preference.

The primer tube priming system upgrade works wonders if you clean your brass and then size and prime but if you deprime and then clean, I suggest priming by hand or a bench mounted system.

If you multiple presses and you want to use the same dies for multiple presses you can make this happen by running the ram up with the same shell holder in each press you can take measurements and machine or grind the insert such that the height from the top of the shell holder to the top of the 7/8 insert is the same on all of them.

Reducing inserts for the chargemaster and any electronic dispensers is the cats meow and reduces overthrows to almost zero, less than 1%, I bought mine from a member here, MDM12

I also like having my shellholders very close by for when I want to switch and I 3d printed a shellholder holder for this.

Most dies now come with lock rings but if you are using lee dies, get lock rings from Hornady or a place like McMasterCarr, this way your dies are set and can be quickly changed.

Area419 makes some great products as well, this is more swag but the aluminum makes powder flow better and reduces static, so check out the funnel and powder cups.

As far as case lube I have had very good luck with the Hornady sizing wax which also works well with the Willis belted magnum sizer.

If you want very clean brass, I highly suggest the stainless tumbling media followed up with some corn cob media to dry the cases out.

I am also testing salt bath annealing currently, I like it so far especially the controlled temperature. I haven’t tested this at the Range yet to see how consistent the cases are performing. 5-6 seconds and doing two cases at a time does cool the salt very quickly, so 50 cases and wait about 5 minutes to let the temp come up, I’ve found that you can anneal about 10 cases, trim 10 cases and then anneal and keep that process going makes the process very fluid, you can also substitute sizing with trimming.

I sure am a fan of their spent primer catching thingee for a Rockchucker.
I could not recommend it more. Nice people to deal with too. FM

Yes it catches more primers than the factory rcbs catcher and it routes directly to a trash can.

With all the cool gadgets out there i could go broke trying out everything, so i wanted to get some info out on what I really like and what I’ve done to improvise and make my money go a little further. I’m sure a lot of this is repeat info for seasoned Reloaders and professionals but for the rookies out there it’ll help them out. But I’m sure every once in a while an old dog learns something new.

This old dog learned of the spent primer catching thingee and wished I had known of it many years before. Go with that first. FM
Be sure you have the casting numbers when you order. I don't know how many they make for different presses.
Makes life a lot easier when The Old Squaw isn't bitching about spent primers here, there and everywhere.
IMHO, those should be standard equipment from RCBS, not something we need to buy extra.
Cheap fuckers. KUDOs to RCBS tech support for turning me on to it.

Lots of innovative people out there and I agree that RCBS should offer a better depriming system.

A lot of time we can scroll the internet and never find that one piece of information that we are looking for and a lot of times we think, “ I am sure somebody else has done this” and that’s what I am trying to help with, by filling the “duh” void and maybe somebody will improve on something I’ve done or maybe make their own life easier.

I am new here and wish I found the site sooner. Thank you, and Thanks again to MDM for that insert for the chargemaster, it was an improvement with the straw and when I tried out this insert, it was so much better. I think the small diameter helps tremendously with stick powder overthrows. Way more accurate now.
Next the inline fab catch system and primer tube

Yes lots of smart people out there and with the beauty of the internet, YouTube and Facebook we can find a lot of other ideas. One thing I will say though, it’s nice finding out the hard way on how to do some things, it makes us smarter later.

I am new here and wish I found the site sooner. Thank you, and Thanks again to MDM for that insert for the chargemaster, it was an improvement with the straw and when I tried out this insert, it was so much better. I think the small diameter helps tremendously with stick powder overthrows. Way more accurate now.

Reactions: patriotnation
Well, I´m thinking about changing from a Lee Classic Cast to a Rock Chucker Supreme, but the primer setting system seems a bit finicky to me.

As I´m not a fine motor skilled person (the hammer is more my friend as the pincette) I see me crawling around on the floor, searching my dropped primers all the time.

Is there a good upgrade for it?

Well, I´m thinking about changing from a Lee Classic Cast to a Rock Chucker Supreme, but the primer setting system seems a bit finicky to me.

As I´m not a fine motor skilled person (the hammer is more my friend as the pincette) I see me crawling around on the floor, searching my dropped primers all the time.

Is there a good upgrade for it?

Jay this is what I added, I like it but I like using my Lyman ezee prime hand unit while watching tv for my “Precision reloads”.

I was having overthrows with my Chargemaster Lite using extruded powder. I did the straw mod (with the end crowned) last night and wow. What a Difference.

Jay this is what I added, I like it but I like using my Lyman ezee prime hand unit while watching tv for my “Precision reloads”.

Hey layback04,
thanks for that link, is that working without issues, like brass alining and so on?

I´m having a Lee hand priming tool, which sometimes is a pita to prime with it with various cases.
With tight primer pockets it sometimes even hurt to get it set with force.