• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Scale Drifting?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I have a RCBS Rangemaster 750 scale.

It's worked great up till now but I realized yesterday that after 5-10 minutes it would drift by about 0.2gr. I had to bust out my Lee Balance Scale to check my charges. I changed the battery and it still off.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have not called RCBS Customer Service yet.

Re: RCBS Scale Drifting?

I leave mine on all the time and that helps. Also make sure it is level, no magnets around and no floresent lights. Hope this helps.

Jay Seaquist

Does it stay on all the time with the AC adapter plugged in?

I ask because I lost the AC Adapter for mine within a week of having it. I didn't really care at the time because I don't need any more wires across my bench.

I know on the battery it will shutoff in a few minutes when not used.

Ya, I leave mine pluged in and on all the time. Keeping it Level realy helps also. Gotta go,,,have a good one.

Jay Seaquist

Go to Radio Shack an get a WallWart that supplies the power you need...plug that into a small Uninterruptable power supply/conditioner such as used for computers. Hide it under your desk and leave it on ALL the time. Works for me.

My RCBS doesn't drift, but sometimes it errors. There is no battery in mine, just the AC adapter. Most of my problems are due to vibration, passing trucks, the 25 year old freezer with motor mounts that have hardened to the consistency of spring steel that I share the garage with, etc. Weights go up and down, then settle down, when there's loud interference. Takes a long time, a minute or more sometimes, to get a steady reading.

I am going to try to pickup a power supply for it and see if that helps.

I have read a couple reviews of others having the same problem. I can't contact Customer Service until Monday. It's still under warranty.

It did not do this when it was new.

I had issues with mine being suddenly off and not recalibrating correctly yesterday and realized that a few grains of IMR 4895 had gotten down in the little hole where the shaft to the black platter sits. Fortunately I had a pair of tweezers that could pull it out and everything was fine.

"My RCBS doesn't drift, but sometimes it errors. There is no battery in mine, just the AC adapter. Most of my problems are due to vibration, passing trucks, the 25 year old freezer with motor mounts that have hardened to the consistency of spring steel that I share the garage with, etc. Weights go up and down, then settle down, when there's loud interference. Takes a long time, a minute or more sometimes, to get a steady reading."

And so many want a digital instead of a beam scale...for why?
smile.gif

My Lyman does the same thing. Any interference, & it will lose calibration for a while, & then settle back down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And so many want a digital instead of a beam scale...for why?
smile.gif
</div></div>

Because sorting projectiles is WAY faster on a digital. Of course if you buy Lapua Scenars it's really not needed.

Oh, and my Lee beam scale only reads up to 110gr. Kind of hard to weigh .308 bullets.

For why? Good question. It still does the job, after its fashion, and I'm accustomed to its unique charm.

More importantly, it still makes great ammo, so nothing's broken that I actually need to fix.

I use the additional time to double check things like the powder level in the previous case's neck before seating the bullet, relubing my fingers with the water soluble case lube as needed, and checking the powder level in the measure's reservoir from time to time.

It's makework, but the time does not go to waste.

Greg

i get that sometimes too, try wiping the whole thing down with one of the static cling things the wife throws into the clothes dryer {bounce i think its called?] it could be static

Thanks. My reloading bench is in the Garage. While it's only been in the 30's outside and in the 50's in the garage I think the cold was affecting the scale. I kept it inside last night and calibrated it this morning and it seems to be fine.

Greg, I am glad the beam scale works for you. The way I reload the digital scales (when they work) are much better for me.