• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Small base dies

BWYoda

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
NC/Baghdad
Do these crimp in addition to seating the bullet or will I need something like the lee factory crimp as well? Thanks!

Re: RCBS Small base dies

They dont crimp.
What round are you reloading and what is it being shot out of?

Do you have a custom chamber with tight dimensions? Chances are you don't need the small base dies.

What caliber are you loading?

Measure the diameter of the base of a fired case .200 up from rim. Next measure the same cases after running them through your dies and give us two columns of dimensions.

The SB die is just that, it sizes down a tad further than the standard die.

The seating die in the set is the same as the one in the standard set, which may or may not have a crimp section.

My dies were mostly made in 50s and 60s and they have crimp shoulder. I don't know what year they all decided we needed to buy yet another die to load ammo.

With that in mind, would you recommend buying the small base dies and then adding the lee factory crimp? I'm leaning this way as the rcbs dies clearly re-size to minimum dimensions allowing for easy chambering in a gas gun. I'm not sure if the lee pacesetters would perform as well. What are your thoughts?

I've loaded thousands of rounds for AR-15s, M1 Garands, M1As and FALs; I used regular RCBS FL dies on all of them, and I never crimped one single round. I've never had a problem asociated with using this approach, either.

IMHO, unless you're loading brass that was fired in a machine gun, you do not need Small Base dies for a gas gun. The only ammo I have ever crimped is ammo for lever actions and revolvers.