• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Uniflow powder measure

old paul

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Northern Ohio
I have just got one of these and have taken it apart and cleaned it twice. The problem is that I can not get any reliable throws . I want 25.1 and can adjust to 24.9 ( which is ok cause I trinkle each load), the next throw can range from 23.6 to 24.5. I am having a hard time liking this product.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Re: RCBS Uniflow powder measure

Use a ball powder and all will be well. Use anything else and what you see is what you're going to get. That's why there's a market for 'trinklers'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What powder are you using? </div></div>

That makes a huge difference with a Uniflow. Mine will throw H4895, IMR 8208, and any ball powder within .1gr every time. Varget is a surprise at every drop
laugh.gif

What did you clean it with? All they really need is a good wipe down with a dry cloth to remove oil. Follow that by running a full hopper of powder thru the measure to "relube" everything. After that make sure your adjustment screw is snug and not moving and then be consistent in your throw, same speed, hit on both ends of the throw with enough force for a solid tap sound, do not bounce or stutter during the motion. I throw Varget with less than a .3 variance regularly and ball should be inside of .1. Its mostly a matter of technique.

RCBS make a baffle for the Uniflow and that will cut down on a lot of the inconsistency you're seeing. Also, it's important to have a consistent hand/wrist motion any variation will result in variation in the throws. Once you get those ironed out you'll be able to throw consistently stick or ball every-time. Sticks are no problem just make sure your operating the lever fast enough to cut sticks and keep in mind that ~four sticks of Varget is .1gr so cutting one or more isn't even going to be measurable on a normal scale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS make a baffle for the Uniflow and that will cut down on a lot of the inconsistency you're seeing. Also, it's important to have a consistent hand/wrist motion any variation will result in variation in the throws. Once you get those ironed out you'll be able to throw consistently stick or ball every-time. Sticks are no problem just make sure your operating the lever fast enough to cut sticks and keep in mind that ~four sticks of Varget is .1gr so cutting one or more isn't even going to be measurable on a normal scale. </div></div>

+1. I have the same setup you have, OP, and H335 meters like water. Seriously - like bang on every time. Other powders (Unique, for example) not so much.

One additional piece of advice for you to try: run about a half pound of powder through it. That will help ensure everything is coated and working good, and it also gives you an opportunity to practice consistently throwing charges. Then, check to see if it is throwing more consistently.

Drop at least ten charges to warm it up after you make an adjustment. As Cobra said us the small drum. Listen to Johnny Cash while you throw charges....I suggest "Get Rhythm". I don't use a baffle and can throw Varget within .2 spread. If you are still having problems when you get to 100 posts let me know. Mine is very old and needs company.

Armor, got to have a sense of humor.
I cleaned it with rubbing alachol and have run over 1/2 lb thru it a couple of times, before expecting reliable results. I have been sensative to hand a motion, speed and force. the bugger just won't throw - big spreads. When I took it apart everything looks ok and feels smooth. I have the small drum in it.

Some get great results with a baffle and some don't. I feel it helps those more who don't have a uniform technique with the measure.

With my Uniflow I find that <span style="text-decoration: underline">for me</span> it pays off to give the handle a firm "rap" against it's stop before moving it up to accept a new charge. I also hit the upper stop firmly. Not only does this tend to loosen up the powder and have it flow more uniformly into the drum, it tends to make me drop each charge the same way each time. Yes, I still have to trickle but the amounts are closer to begin with so there's not as much fiddling around.

+1 on the baffle. I always set mine up with the metering rod in the back so it dumps on the down stroke. Goofy but I like it. Helps me give it a good tap.

Turn your handle around backwards from the way it is shown in the pics of the unit. This will help your rhythm as well. It provides more leverage on the dowstroke and it greatly increased the consistency of my measure.

Try weighing your charge multiple times. Maybe your scale is off.

I cleaned my Uniflow with a new piece of green scrubbie pad inside of the drum and then wiped it with a dryer sheet to remove all traces of static. It drops very uniformly. I also use a baffle and a long clear drop tube. I also replaced the cap with a butler creek front scope cap for a more tactical look and removed the possibility of a lost cap...

If you are having the spreads you are saying, you have a problem with your technique or your scale.

A powder baffle will help immensely. You will still have issues with long extruded powder, but the ball powders and short extruded powders (Benchmark, Rel-7, 8208 XBR, AR-Comp, H-4895, REl-15, XMR4064, RG-4895 etc.) will throw very uniformly, should be well within .1-.2.

I've used a RCBS Uniflow for decades. It throws so well, I haven't seen the need to change to something else. A powder baffle makes a difference. I use the large drum with the micrometer stem. Even throwing powders in the 20's grain range is very accurate.

I concur with others here - my uniflow works better with the baffle...which is an $8 add on - and the Johnny Cash idea is also a good one!

I've been using a Uniflow for about 40 years now. I use a baffle, and when loading it with powder I rap on the side of the metal housing about 25 times with the handle of a screwdriver. You can see the powder settle down quite a bit, and after that I test drop about 10 loads. Generally they are spot-on. Settling the powder seems to help tremendously.

+1 for the baffle. I got a baffle for mine and saw a big improvement in consistency. They powder type is also a factor! Some meter well and others don't, thats where the trickler comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MassDuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with others here - my uniflow works better with the baffle...which is an $8 add on - and the Johnny Cash idea is also a good one! </div></div>

What? You didn't just make your own? For those that haven't yet, just Google "Uncle Nick's Powder Baffle Templates" It's a PDF file. Just download, print, paste the right sized pattern to a piece of aluminum roof flashing, cut, and you've got a free baffle, provided you just scrounged the metal from a nearby construction site.
cool.gif