• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RE: Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 8-34X56 IR FFP…opinions?

iadams

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2022
US
chatus.cam
just a quick check to see if there is any experience with the Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 8-34X56 IR FFP?

Have seen them advertised locally new from a retailer at an impressively competitive price relative to other products and keen to know what the experience with these scopes is like.

Cheers

I have the Gen-1. It tracks just fine, no issues at all.
The FOV is quite narrow and the reticle is fence post thick.
If you can live with that, it's a good buy at a great price.

For less money and less magnification, the Arken 4-16 wipes out the Argos.
It's clearer, resolves better and is also much shorter in length. Along with that, it's 34mm and has 34 MILs of elevation adjustment vs the 20 on the Argos.

Side by side, I'd take the Arken 100% of the time.

Reactions: Gohring65
I have one in gen two ( 8-34x56, MOA) . I also have the rest of the Argos line ( 6-24x50 and 10-40x56). Honestly, it's an "OK "scope but I struggle to love it as much as I thought I would . Namely, the glass starts to lose it's clarity once you get up past 27X or so leaving me not using the upper range of the scope very often. The rectical seems a little thick at upper magnifications as well. This makes it hard to shoot things like 1/4" KYL arms at higher magnification. Lastly. I also don't like that it has only 45 MOA of internal elevation adjustment. ( One of the smallest I've seen in a FFP "gaming" scope) Simply put, I like the Argos series but this particular one seems like a fish out of water. Not really up to benchrest type precision shooting but also doesn't have enough MOA adjustment for longer range PRS/NRL type games. Personally, I like the 10-40 SFP Argos model much better.

Last edited:
I've had everything from an Argos to a Cronus. The Argos should track fine and the new gen 2 has a zero stop and supposedly better turrets. I think the higher price is all about the image quality and possibly increased reliability of the scope. In my opinion as long as it tracks, holds point of aim and allows you to see your hits then anything better is about want vs. need. I really like excellent glass but I'm not fooling myself into thinking it makes me a better shooter.

Reactions: WeeHooker
just a quick check to see if there is any experience with the Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 8-34X56 IR FFP?

Have seen them advertised locally new from a retailer at an impressively competitive price relative to other products and keen to know what the experience with these scopes is like. ometv

Cheers
I also like excellent glass but I am not fooling myself into thinking it makes me a better shooter.

Reactions: Wwhitlock