• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-barrel or new rifle?

19dsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Fort Hood Texas
Our current range is being extended from 900 yards to 1600 yards. I am wanting a .300 WM to be able to reach that far. I am currently using a REAL Military M24 and am fine out to 1000. I also own a Rem 700P short action in .308. I wish my 700P was a long action so that i could just re-barrel that rifle for .300. So here is the predicament im stuck in.... Do i keep my 700P for 1000 and less, and re-barrel my M24 for 300 wm. or do i purchase a new .300 and leave the M24 alone? I already contacted GA Precision for pricing and was quoted $1000 to re-barrel the M24. That included checking and cleaning up the current blueprint, new bedding for the new barrel, barrel, and mounting... Or do i just buy something new? IF NEW, WHAT SHOULD I GET AND HOW MUCH?

Edit: if $ wasnt an issue then i would just buy a new rifle. Are there rifles out there in the $1000 range that will accurately reach 1600+ ? i have no experience with the 700p in .300wm but am considering it.

Re: Re-barrel or new rifle?

Rebarrel the 700P in 7wsm and you'll be shooting that far no problem. Also not to knock GAP, but you can get it done for alot cheeper.

Might want to check on a Tikka T3 variant in 300WM. They should get you out there and are very accurate rifles from the factory in my experience.
Depending on the model, you might come in below the 1k price point.
madd0c

You could pick up a 5R 300WM or a XCR Tactical LR in 300WM for around that price if you really wanted to get a 300.

Any suggestions where i could get GOOD QUALITY work done on my M24 in the Fort Hood, DFW area? I have looked into the above mentioned calibers and for the longest time wanted to build a 6.5x284. The main reason i am looking at the .300 wm is so that i can use the same reloading components that i am currently using, and a huge reason being barrel life. I have not heard too many good things about barrel life on the 284. IF and thats a big IF i was to go with a 6.5x284 where should i get the work done in this area? i dont mind sending it off, but the faster the turn around the better.

6.5-284 is even harder on barrels then the 7mm veriants. As far as using similar componints. unless your shooting heavys out of your 308, you're not making it to 1600 yard supersonic easy with the 300wm. Not saying it wont get out there but there are other good options with less recoil.

.308 and .300wm will be using the 208 gr. AMAX and CCI BR 2 primers.. Yes i know the BR2 is not a magnum primer but it still works and with great results..

One can duplicate some of the lighter weight .300WM loads' performance with a .30-'06 using 190's and RL-22.

The .280 Rem (AKA 7mm Rem Express) can eke out even better ballistics using VLD 7mm bullets and H4831SC from essentially the same case capacity as the .30-'06.

I would <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> recommend reconfiguring a rifle with the kind of provenance a genuine M24 carries.

If your 700p S/A is only being shot as a single feeder, then short action length becomes far less of a drawback with 'true long action chamberings'.

A fired .30-'06/.280 Rem case will indeed extract and eject from a sort action. You can confirm this right now with a fired .30-'06 case in your .308 M700P. The bolt won't go all the way into battery, but everything else will work.

The difficulty arises when trying to do the same with an unfired cartridge. But this difficulty is actually very easily overcome by overriding the bolt release and allowing the bolt to retract a bit further. For the relatively rare occasions when this might be needed, the use of a long action with such chamberings is not an actual mandate. You can confirm this too, right now, single feeding with a .30-'06 dummy cartridge in your M700P.

Greg

Leave the M24 alone, period. It has some collector value, although not as much as before LE distributors were offered the product. Nevertheless, today, just the base rifle will cost more than three thousand dollars. Is it worth it, I don't think so, yet, the sniper dudes out there seem to crave it.

That was the whole reason for wanting to leave the M24 alone.. Not realy the collectors value, but the personal memories that it brings back to me. I was deployed as a sniper to iraq in 07-09 and my primary weapon was an M24. This alone brings back alot of memories and it is always such a joy to shoot! It is already increadibly accurate and will shoot just about any handload i feed it very well! Infact the NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 that sits on it was the actual scope that i used while deployed!!! Thanks to some incredible donors here on the hide! I was allowed to purchase it from the man that lent it to me for the deployment... anyways, NO i realy dont want to change the M24 AT ALL!! so im realy hoping to buy another rifle for about the same price as what it would cost me to have the work done. Im interested in the 700p as i already have 2 others(.223 & .308) and they are realy good rifles for the $. So a .300wm in 700P may be on my list of future buys. A few months back i saw a Sako TRG 42 in .300wm at bass pro shops of all places with an incredible price of around $1400-$1500. I cant remember exactly, but it was SUCH a great deal that i should have bought it on the spot.. Now i cant find them any cheaper than $2400. Im definately interested in a Sako TRG 42 if i could only find it for the right price. I will be buying another NF 5.5-22 for this build so im looking at alot of $ already... Everyone, thanks for the info and keep it coming!

You ever look into a 7mm-08? or 7mm-08 AI? Those will fit in a 700P short action and feed long bullets from a magazine if you want to go with a drop mag for it. Also, if more power is what you are looking for the .284 has that. FWIW, barrel life isn't really an issue with them. Not near as much as 6.5-284's. but then again you can have barrel issues with most any cartridge if you load it as hot as they will go. I'm speaking in particular about most .300 magnums that require a lot of powder to push their very heavy bullets out. A .284 with a 168 JLK or Berger will give you a lot more mileage than a 208 A-max or 210 gr. Berger with a lot less recoil.

EDIT: I thought you had a 300WM already, my mistake for not reading more closely.

For shooting those kind of ranges at paper/steel I'd suggest a 7mm of some sort, something with the capacity of a 30-06 or higher.

The 280 will get there very well. My 162gr Amax load with H4831sc gives up the ghost ~ 1525yd, but I'm not pushing them as hard as I could. Something that will get a 180gr VLD over 2900fps is the ticket for 1600yd without going to something more serious like a 338 mag flavoring and 300gr bullets.

A 180gr VLD at 2950fps is supersonic to a mile and matches the flight path of a 338 LM with 300gr SMK's in it, the new Bergers are a completely different story, but the costs of ownership for a 338 mag chambering is much higher. 2950fps can be accomplished with a long barreled (28+ inches) 284 Win, a more reasonably barreled(26") -06 based case, 7 SAUM, or 24"-26" on a 7/300 WSM, 7 WSM.

To really shoot the heavies in 7mm you need a long action to mag feed, keeping them at short action mag length doesn't last long and you give up a lot of powder capacity by shoving that long bullet deep in the case.

If converting a short action for shooting past 1000 yards. I'd re-barrel it for 7wsm or 300wsm. 300wsm and then you'll be able to share projectiles between rifles.

Well for the price of the Sako TRG 42, it looks like i will be going fot the 700p with Mcmillan stock and NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1. Already ordering the reloading supplies. Need to find a good set of dies, preferably carbide or similar. I hate using case lube. Will keep you posted on the build. Hopefully everything i want will be in stock and wont have a long waiting period. Thanks for all the help!

19- You won't find carbide dies for a bottle neck rifle cartridge, however, for case lube I finally bent to the peer pressure and got a little can of Redding Imperial Wax.

Til that point I'd used the sprays, the wipe on Lee Lube, the RCBS crap lube, etc.

Now my prefered method is a pair of cotton "white gloves" from the transmission shop at work. I roll a little bit of the wax on the fingertips and palm of the gloves and roll the cases between it. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the little can and I've loaded about 4000 rounds on it.

When I'm done with the cases I just peel the gloves off and put them in a ziploc and wash my hands with Dial or Joy soap. To get the lube off I dry tumble the loaded rounds in corn cob media for an hour.

On the scope, you're getting an RR1 or an R1? Obviously it's a personal preference, I've seen the RR1's and I own 3 of the R1's. From the stance of someone who's "been there" (you, not me) what sold you on the RR1 vs. the R1?

Leave the M24 alone. A 7WSM would be my choice for that kind of distance.

Bohem, my lube technique is similar, except I skip the gloves and use RCBS Water Soluble Lube.

A damp cloth (rubbing alky also works well) removes all traces. Just remember to keep your fingers out of your eyes...

sorry guys it was a typo with the NF NP-RR1... Im actually using a NF NP-R1 and will be getting another NP-R1 for the new build. It looks now that i will hopefully get the Rem. 700 5R .300wm if i can find one and at a good price. I still cant find a TRG-42 in the price range im looking at. I cant even find the MSRP on the 5r .300wm or any place to get one. I was considering the 700 PSS as i already have 2,f but after reading about the 5r, that is definately what i want if it is truly in the $1000 range! I have been looking at a McMillan A4 stock, Ferrel 20 MOA base, NF rings and 5.5-22x56 NP-R1. Im hoping that once I pillar and glass bed the A4 and add all the goodies, that this will be a great 1600m rifle!

Well i go tomorrow to pick up my Rem. 700 ss 5r .300 win. mag. !!! its going to be the longest car ride ever! 2 hours there and 2 hours back! Everyone, thanks for all the great suggestions! i will keep everyone posted on how this new project goes!!!

If it were me I'd rebarrel the M24, same as the AMU shoots. It should not lose any value and might even GAIN some.

It was made long action for a reason and it's a fine rifle.

its funny how everyone dis the 300 wm and say the 7mm is far far better ha ha ha

with the right bbl chamber and load 3400 with a 208 amax is possible

now there are gonna be 7mm boys slam me for saying that but I used to load 78gr h1000 to send a 208 amax at 2850

I had it rebarreled sweet and use 74.5 gr h1000 to get 2950--3000 so if I loaded like I used to (78gr) I would get the speed and yes I tried it

so run the math .....208gr bc .648 at 3300 to 3400 that smokes

the pda's are gonna be tap tap tapping

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bagpuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its funny how everyone dis the 300 wm and say the 7mm is far far better ha ha ha

now there are gonna be 7mm boys slam me for saying that but I used to load 78gr h1000 to send a 208 amax at 2850

I had it rebarreled sweet and use 74.5 gr h1000 to get 2950--3000 so if I loaded like I used to (78gr) I would get the speed and yes I tried it

the pda's are gonna be tap tap tapping </div></div>

I think you need to have your chrongraph serviced.
3400 fps with a 208 A-max, 78 grns of H-1000 in a 300 Winny,, Maybe with a 48" barrel and a 4 leaf clover

I'm jealous of your problem... If I want to shoot more than 400 yds I'm stuck tromping around the state parks with a GPS trying to find a safe place in the bush to set up and take a shot.

FWIW, I'd say buy a 700P in 300WM, or you could build a project rifle for close to $1000 if you restocked and rebarreled a Rem SPS or pawn shop find. OR the Sendero is always an accurate option, for about $1k: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/3/products_id/97313

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bagpuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its funny how everyone dis the 300 wm and say the 7mm is far far better ha ha ha

the pda's are gonna be tap tap tapping </div></div>

1) 208 Amax is actually 0.633
2) Those velocities are more equivalent to a 30/338 LM, not a 300 WM. Try 3050fps for a hot load in that 300 Winny and run it against a 7mm RM shooting 180's at the same speed.

180 VLD's are .659, 180 Hybrids are 0.674

copied from hornady's website and bc put in a pda (exbal) is spot on at 1550 yards so cant be far out
wink.gif

Home » Bullets » Rifle » Choose by Caliber » .308 30 CAL » 30 Cal .308 208 gr A-MAX® 30 Cal .308 208 gr A-MAX®Item Number 30732
Weight 3.25 lbs
Ballistic Coefficient 0.648
Sectional Density 0.313

Price: $42.72

Details Related Items

and as for ....Try 3050fps for a hot load in that 300 Winny and run it..... get that vel with 74.7 gr h1000 and thats only just above min load....get the speed from a 32" BBL

78GR AS A MAX LOAD AND 79+ AS A HOT LOAD

these are not guess'd speeds or software predicted loads but ACTUAL findings

as I said I used to run 78gr h1000 in a stock 26" bbl at 2850-2900, my new bbl is 32" and LOAD 74.5 to get 2950 to 3000 and can load 78gr to get 3350-3400
wink.gif

I am not a bullshitting liar and can provide quite a few well respected whitnesses that have shot this gun and know its load
wink.gif

as for other bullets there are bullets out there in excess or bc .91 for the 300 to use

The box says one thing, the bullet flies differently. Ask Bryan Litz what the radar data says on the BC, he'll tell you the same as I did.

Perhaps you can produce a video with chronograph data included. Drop alone is not quite as indicative of velocity as you might think.

Leave the M-24 alone. re barrel the 700p to 300 WSM. OR buy a 700p in .300WM

tell you what, seen as your title says re:bagpuss and you seem keen to suggest I am a liar by saying "more like 3045 or something and I have told you the velocities that I have had over the chrono, oh yeh and asking me to video it with shots over the chrono, you are suggesting a) I am full of shit b)I dont own a 300 (from your comments it sounds like you have never owned one) c)I am lying about the velocity, have dreamt up the vels d)I am a liar about owning a chrono coz you want me to video me shooting it over the chrono

was a time when I was younger that I would have got real pissed at your slander and go out and video me shooting my 300, over the chrono, loading in the field so that you can see my load of 74.5 h1000 gives 2950-3000 min load and that 78gr h1000 gives 3350-3400.....now I am laughing my ass off
cry.gif
cry.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1373480&page=1

copy and past the above link, its about the us army m24 new load using 22o matchkings at 2879 standard bbl not a 32" custom

so before you call a man a liar, do a little homework next time

if your still in denial then next time WE have a meet'n'shoot cornish fruit slayers gathering I WILL be bothered to video the whole thing infront of about a dozen or more other liars that will back me up and have shot this gun, at long range and yes over the chrono
confused.gif

this post was about the poster wanting a 300WM not a 7mmwarrior slagging every other calibre
wink.gif

Since you've taken it so far as to self-insult yourself on my behalf, feel free to chrono and video that 26" barrel throwing 208 Amax at 3300-3400 fps. I get the distinct feeling the video (if it ever shows) will be quite a different story.

You should give Tom Sarver a call and tell him he's wasting his time with the 300 Hulk since your 300 WM will easily match pace with it and do so for significantly less powder and cost.

BTW, the link you posted above for 220's at 2879 is running at 69ksi. Getting a 210 class bullet going 500 fps faster is an apples to watermelons comparison.

your a funny guy.................not

I told you I have got a 32" bbl thats a thirty two inch if you didnt understand 32"

also I have told you REAL recorded data

1) fact one is I have a thirty two inch (32") bbl and load a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">minimum</span></span> load of 74.5 gr h1000 to get 2950 fps to 3000 fps <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">REAL</span></span>

2) I used to load 78gr h1000 to get 2850 208gr in a 26" bbl and this is not exactly max'd out

3) I could load 78gr h1000 in the new bbl that already gives 2950 to 3000 in its 32" bbl so when I loaded this it gave 3350 to 3400 fps

you must have a reading and learning disability given your answers so far so go read a loading manual

the link I posted was not for a 32" bbl

if I give you twenty whitnesses and video evidence you in your litle 7mm world would still be in denial

I dont know why I am waisting my time but here goes

a 300 winny will do 2850 fps 208 a-max with 78gr h1000 easy
a 300 winny will do 2950-3000fps208amax 74.5gr min load h1000 easy and can be loaded with 78gr which will give 3350-3400

i should show me taking a poke at a goat at 1800yd w/a .300wm doing just over 3000fps.....i like .300win mags