• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-barreling .223 to 6mmBR in Remington 700 action

Bunkin

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2013
I currently have a Remington 700 that came from the factory chambered in .223 Rem. I am hoping to rebarrel it into a 6mmBR. Is this a possible conversion since the .223 action isn't as long as the normal short action? Or should I be looking to another caliber for this conversion? My end goal is to push Nosler 105gr RDF bullets with this rifle.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo48517.png
    photo48517.png
    48 KB · Views: 31
The length of the action should be fine as a Short action 700 in .223 is the same length as any other Short action 700 in any other caliber.

What you may have an issue with is the bolt face diameter. I think 6mmBR uses a .473 bolt face.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the .223 rem 700 is a "micro" action but still using the same in letting as a "short" action lennyo3034

I think you may be thinking the Model 7 which is a "micro" sized receiver and not interchangeable with a short action 700. The can be chambered in .223.

I have a Remington 700 in 223 and the receiver is identical to mine in .308. Only the bolt face was different.

When I get home I'll take a look at the two side by side to make sure.

my 223 rem700 action is the same size as any other rem700 short action...fits in all the chassis/stocks too
the model 7 is different, like lenny mentioned
bolt face on the 6BR is different than 223 tho

Internal box mag has a spacer added to the 223 also the spring and follower are fit for the smaller 223rounds in a short action. Bolt face is the bigger issue.

I currently have a Remington 700 that came from the factory chambered in .223 Rem. I am hoping to rebarrel it into a 6mmBR. Is this a possible conversion since the .223 action isn't as long as the normal short action? Or should I be looking to another caliber for this conversion? My end goal is to push Nosler 105gr RDF bullets with this rifle.

Thanks!

You can either have the bolt face opened up or buy another bolt and send it with the gun when it gets re-barreled.

There are only two action sizes that are short action remingtons
-standard short action -which is chambered in 223
-model 7 -which is also chambered in 223 but the made the back end of the acton shorter to save weight and length.
both the 700 sa and the model 7 will work fine with 6br

talk to your gunsmith he will have specific options and answers.

I did exactly what you're asking... I took a Rem 700 in 223 and converted it to a 6 Norma BR. Smith swapped out a the bolt with a .473, re-barreled and off to the races. I opted to use bottom metal that accepts AICS mags. Converted the mags using the Primal Rights conversion kit. It takes 308 AICS mags and lets you run 6BR smoothly through them. I'm only 100+ rounds in, but everything is running 100% so far. Accuracy is excellent :)

I would like to know also, i have one too. And would like advice on getting to a 6mm brx will this work?

Do exactly what sabuzzard above you did. Have the smith fit a ptg one piece small firing pin bolt when he puts the new barrel on.

Keep your .223. Buy another action with a 308 bolt face for your 6 br build. Everyone should have a .223 around.