• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-barreling a nice 270 why mag

Paul38

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
Oregon Coast
Hi guy's, any advice on who would do a nice job on this rifle. It' an hardly fired older one with a pencil barrel that doesn't shoot worth a damn. The stock is a really nice piece of wood, it's been bedded and had a trigger job.

Thanks for any help,
Paul

Re: Re-barreling a nice 270 why mag

If yours is a weatherby mk5 action you might have to hunt around to find a smith that will work on it. I had the same issue 10 years ago and a company called rifles, inc rebarreled my 300 wby. Turned it into a 1/2 inch gun at 100 yards. I do not think rifle's inc does any rebarreling work any more but it would be worth a call to them. They used a shilen barrel on mine and I am very happy. Good luck. I also had a hard time finding a stock but I think there are some out there now. You will have to get a bigger barrel if you want to get good accuracy in my opinion. Let me know if I can help.

Re: Re-barreling a nice 270 why mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: egraham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If yours is a weatherby mk5 action you might have to hunt around to find a smith that will work on it. I had the same issue 10 years ago and a company called rifles, inc rebarreled my 300 wby. Turned it into a 1/2 inch gun at 100 yards. I do not think rifle's inc does any rebarreling work any more but it would be worth a call to them. They used a shilen barrel on mine and I am very happy. Good luck. I also had a hard time finding a stock but I think there are some out there now. You will have to get a bigger barrel if you want to get good accuracy in my opinion. Let me know if I can help.</div></div>

Yeah it's a MKV, thanks for the help I'll call them.