• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-barreling a Remington 700

Commander Shepard

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2004
NC
I have a Remington 700 SPS in 308 that I want to re-barrel with a factory Remington 700 5R takeoff barrel. The 5R comes with its original factory recoil lug, and has never been re-chambered or modified in the chamber area.

Should this be a straight one for one barrel swap, or is there more that needs to be done? Also, which recoil lug should be used?

Regards,
Alex

Re: Re-barreling a Remington 700

I would recommend that you not do that, save yo pennies and get yourself a new nice hand lapped tube, then have Randy(hateCa) or another Hide gunplumber do there magic, in the end you'll be mucho happier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex Nenadic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already have the 5R on hand. </div></div>

In all probability, it's not going to properly headspace but this isn't a disaster, as the barrel can be properly fit to the receiver. As far as the recoil lug goes, if you wanted plug and play, the best recoil lug to have is the one that was with the 5R on the original receiver. Since plug and play is unlikely, you have an opportunity to go to a better recoil lug and have the work performed to properly fit the barrel to the action....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex Nenadic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already have the 5R on hand. </div></div>

In all probability, it's not going to properly headspace but this isn't a disaster, as the barrel can be properly fit to the receiver. As far as the recoil lug goes, if you wanted plug and play, the best recoil lug to have is the one that was with the 5R on the original receiver. Since plug and play is unlikely, you have an opportunity to go to a better recoil lug and have the work performed to properly fit the barrel to the action.... </div></div>

So what is the process if it ISN'T 'plug and play'?
And what is the average price to have a competent smith perform such a task?

I have a factory take-off 700 LTR barrel and I'd like to plug and play (I have little disposable income to spend on guns). Thanks.

ok the barrel can be screwed from your rem and the 5r screwed in you can have the 5r headspace shecked with both recoil luge, if the barrel has excessive headspace the shoulder of the barrel can be machined and the headspace closed to the correct dimensions. if the headspace is to tight there is a bigger issue you cant machine anything of the barrel or action to fix it but there is an easy out have a thicker recoil lug fitted and the barrel headspaced in with it also if going this route i would have the face of the action squared as it is the worst part of machining that is on the action as it looks like it is cut of with a drop saw.

So give to a gunsmith and have the headspace checked it should be OK but if not another slightly thicker ground recoil lug is all that is required to get the barrel fitted.

Hope that helps.

Alex,

As a gunsmith I highly recommend you don just try to swap! 3 things can happen:

1) Headspace is too tight (won't be able to chamber a round or at least very poor accuracy
)
2) Headspace is to loose ( can cause catistrophic case failure or at least very poor accuracy.

3) Headspace is within tolerance and all is right with the world!?

As you can see, 2 out of 3 things are BAD and poor accuracy is probably not what you are trying to achieve!

I say find a gunsmith or a hobby machinst with some gun experience and to fit the barrel to your receiver properly.

If you have more questions you can PM me.

There is no harm in trying, but you really need a headspace gauge. Without it, you are into the unknown, and there is no sense in hurting yourself or the gun. Rent or buy a HS gauge, screw the barrel on and go from there.

If you have all the tooling to do it right, it can be done. I have done a couple before. But I ran a 1 1/16" X 16 TPI die stock over the threads and chased them a bit, MOST of the way down. I had headspace guages for it. The guy was standing there when I did it. He was suprised at the force it takes to remove a factory barrel. It wasn't quiet as tight when we put the new one on. It shot OK. (As I remember, both barrels shot about the same, accuracy wise.) But I wouldn't do that to one of mine. He wanted it done in one day for cheap money. That's exactly what he got.

For you gunsmiths out there, how much would something like this cost?

A hack job (which I would pass on would be say...$100). To do it right would be in the neighborhood of 300 and you still have a factory barrel. Like what was already said, get a new barrel and do it right. New barrel plus maching equals an awesome shooting machine
smile.gif

Seriously, if you are going to go to the trouble of making your Remington more accurate just buy a quality barrel and have it fit to your action.

Plug and play is VERY unlikely to happen. And of course accuracy is going to suffer unless EVERYTHING is done right.

I had the rifle rebarreled by Mr. Roscoe at LPR and received it back about two months ago (note the date of the original post). He rechambered, cut and recrowned it, and installed an aftermarket trigger. As always he did a fantastic job, and I am more than happy with the result.