• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-contouring a barrel?

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Can you change the contour of a barrel once it has been chambered? If so who could do this? I have a 22BR LV barrel that shoots really really good but it is to heavy for what i want to do with it. I have it set up for a benchrest rig but i would rather use it for varmint hunting. Can you change a barrel once its done?? Seems i read somewhere one time that it isn't a good idea. Something about stress?? I dont know.. Thanks Lee

Re: Re-contouring a barrel?

Lee , I have been told that if you reduce the diameter of a pull button barrel the bore diameter increases.

I have also been told that this isnt the case with cut rifled barrels.

I was told this by more than one barrel maker, one of which makes pull button barrels.

I have re contoured both without the accuracy being effected to any large degree.

My best uneducated guess is that for the most part, the general public doesnt shoot well enough to be able to tell the difference.
Others mileage will likely vary.