• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re inletting barrel channel

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hi guys,
Iv got a McMillan a3-5 inletted for a rem 700 short action with a varmint barrel taper and bdl bottom metal. I want to step up to a zermatt origin action with a medium Palma contour ( closest to rem varmint but shoulder prefits in this contour available at local shop), and kmw mark 1 bottom metal. I contacted McMillan and they said they can cut the bottom metal no problem, and said as long as the new barrel is bigger they can cut it, but it didn’t seem like they had a clear answer between these 2 contours. Comparing the numbers the medium Palma is close on all dinentions, bigger in some and smaller in a few but a small difference. Has anyone had a McMillan stock cut from a rem varmint to a medium Palma? Does it look and fit ok? And do the bolt handle and ejection port line up perfectly in a rem 700 stock or do they need tweaked some? Any advice? I’m sure McMillan will take care of it if it is possible, just didn’t know if anyone had any experience or suggestions.