• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-lining a Barrel

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
I've got an old Winchester Model 67 single shot that my uncle gave to me that was in pretty rough condition. I re-blued the barrel and refinished the stock. Have it looking pretty good now. The rifle sat in a barn for about 10 years. The bore is pretty corroded and pitted close to the chamber and probably about 5-6 up. It still shoots, and everything works, but the accuracy is gone.

I am planning on giving this rifle to my newborn when (it) arrives in late Feb. The rifle is chambered for either short or long rifle 22 rimfire. Has anyone ever had a barrel re-lined? Is it worth it? What experiences have you had?

Thanks alot.

Re: Re-lining a Barrel

Not cheap or fast, but breathes new life into an old gun.
Redman's is the standard.
Liners are $30, the drill $90, reamer $45, from Brownell's, if you have lathe access.

Congrats! My wife is due in March with our first! If the barrel is removable, it might just be easier to find another Model 67 barrel or another rifle you can use for parts.

Thank you, we are excited for the new arrival!

The barrel cannot be removed from the action. I should take it to my smith and see what he thinks. The bolt is so loose, this thing went to hell and back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inkedshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats! My wife is due in March with our first! If the barrel is removable, it might just be easier to find another Model 67 barrel or another rifle you can use for parts. </div></div>

The Win., mod 67 has a screw on barrel, so it's certainly possible.

It is possible. Numrich or or one of those might have an original. Otherwise, if you rebarrel you'll lose the markings. Do the reline. It will appear near original, and it will shoot as well as it ever did. Mine is minute of cat at 20 yards. I've had it since 1947 and it never was any better than that. JMHO

Ok, that sounds good. Sorry to bring up a "dead" topic but I have been away for a few days. Thanks for the remarks!

Its relatively easy to do on a lathe. I've done several and they seem to bring life back into old barrels.

If you have access to a lathe, and buy a liner, pm me and I'll loan you the drill, reamer and HP gages.

Thank you. I don't have access to a lathe, but my gunsmith does
smile.gif
. That sounds like a deal. Can I PM when I decide to buy the liner (Edit: Should've read it again, I'll PM you when I decide to buy a liner)?

Also, one more question. I took some very fine 400 grit sand paper to the outside of the barrel when I first recieved the gun to knock down the surface rust. To say the least the outside of the barrel was pretty pitted. It doesn't look too bad now compared to how it was, but can that stuff be blasted off to make it a more even tone? Or, is it a lost cause?

Depending on the finish you want. For matted finish, I bead blast, for a deep blue finish I polish with a belt sander going from about 120 grit to 2000 grit, on a barrel spinner. That is something you should discuss with our gun smith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you. I don't have access to a lathe, but my gunsmith does
smile.gif
. That sounds like a deal. Can I PM when I decide to buy the liner (Edit: Should've read it again, I'll PM you when I decide to buy a liner)?

Also, one more question. I took some very fine 400 grit sand paper to the outside of the barrel when I first recieved the gun to knock down the surface rust. To say the least the outside of the barrel was pretty pitted. It doesn't look too bad now compared to how it was, but can that stuff be blasted off to make it a more even tone? Or, is it a lost cause? </div></div>

It's questionable, and depends on the surface condition.
I bought a Win., 69T a number of years ago and the barrel and receiver were pitted. I ended up bead blasting the lot and cold/hot blued by heating the Bbl./rec.with a propane torch to about 212 degrees f and dipped it in a 2.5x40" piece of PVC for a tank. It came out well, but it didn't faze the pitting at all. It always shot well as is, So I just left it alone after that.
WinMod69T002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdwelch10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been wondering the same thing. Have a grand fathers 22 that is 50 years old. </div></div>

Same here. I have a REMINGTON 12B Gallery Special that I'd like to leave the barrel on because of the proof marks (or , actually, lack of them in 1917), but i'd like the gun to be a shooter again.