• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-sizing after annealing

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
I've got 3k pieces of once fired LC brass from the late 60's early 70's. I annealed them to preserve the necks & shoulders, but I jumped the gun and did it after I already sized it. The ammo will be shot at 500+ yds from rifles capable of 1 moa & better. Should I re-size again?

Re: Re-sizing after annealing

No. Annealing makes the brass more pliable. In this situation if you didn't split the necks prior to annealing, you are ok.

Meh.....You might have gotten more consistent results doing it the other way, but you knew that already or you wouldn't have asked. Considering it had only been fired once, and considering the hassle of sizing them all again and cleaning off the lube, I'd probably just shoot them as is and maybe anneal them again before the next sizing. LC isn't made for precision shooting anyway.

OTOH, there's always the good chance that once-fired LC was shot in a machine gun. I've found in the past that running this kind of brass into the die twice can give better results than just sizing it once. I size it, spin the case 180 degrees in the shell-holder, then run it into the die again. I have found tiny but measurable differences doing this as opposed to one trip through the die. Whether this small improvement in consistency is worth all the extra hassle is a personal choice.

Do as you wish, it won't make a bit of difference.

This is why I keep a Lee Collet die handy. The mandrel makes a fairly good expander for slightly out of round case necks and the collet doesn't require any lube.

I've used one in both .223 and .308 for "post annealing" touch up.

IMO, always best to do sizing after annealing. Annealing, by virtue of making the neck and shoulder softer and more pliable, will help eliminate a lot of the "spring back" at the shoulder and help make sizing more consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO, always best to do sizing after annealing. Annealing, by virtue of making the neck and shoulder softer and more pliable, will help eliminate a lot of the "spring back" at the shoulder and help make sizing more consistent. </div></div>

couldn't agree more.

I could not drop a bullet into the case, but I did notice inconsistencies with neck tension. When pushed in by hand, some would not take the 168 amax at all, and others would allow me to seat completely if I persisted. Since I am trying to wring as much accuracy as is practical out of this ammo, I will re-size. I noticed more light galling or scratches on the necks of the brass than on the first sizing. I have never lubed the inside of case necks to re-size. Do I need to start?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO, always best to do sizing after annealing. Annealing, by virtue of making the neck and shoulder softer and more pliable, will help eliminate a lot of the "spring back" at the shoulder and help make sizing more consistent. </div></div>

Not to mention that the heating/cooling cycle alone can leave the brass with different dimensions. When stress is removed, metal can move.